mtbr member

recommend me a vaya wheelset

i currently have dt240s on velocity blunt sl rims, marathon extreme tire. i love this combo offroad and will be trying to go tubeless with it. i'm looking for a dedicated road wheelset. a rim with a machined sidewall on a bike that doesn't have rim brakes would drive me crazy everytime i looked at it. i won't be doing any loaded touring on it, just longish road rides. yeah, yeah, yeah, "light, strong, cheap. pick any two." i don't have enve money, but, i do have some cash to spend
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    White Industry Disc hubs laced to the new all black Hed C2's.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

Birthday Collector
    Check out the new Stan's Notubes rims - Iron Cross.. 385g disc-only made for tubeless. Could be a good match!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was using a set of Easton XC One wheels for my Vaya as my lightweight cross tires. Pricepoint usually has them cheap. A Stan's Crest would be good, especially for tubeless. I currently have I9's with Stan's Arches, but using a 29er tire. The beauty of the Vaya is the standard MTB disc compatibility, so any 29er wheels work. Nice job, Salsa!

mtbr member
    It's actually a full custom Waterford with s&s couplers loosely based off of the Vaya I used to ride. I see now that they are making a stainless version with couplers, copy cats!
    Hadn't really thought about Stan's for road use. Have heard the alphas are way fflexy and have a short shelf life, cracking at the eyelets ect. The iron cross or alpha 400 built by someone in the know should be better though??? Been tubeless for years on my mtb and would never go ghetto on asphalt. Tubulars are also out cuz I'm still not sure what those people do in case of a flat. Call mom I guess... Stan's might be the way to go.
    WI and hed, that's got some sex appeal. I like that combo.
    Diesel, what 29er tires have you found that fit?
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The Iron Cross are very interesting...I'll be curious to see how the reviews of the come in. Since they were just released, there's not a lot of press out on them yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I really want those Iron CX wheels. Can't wait to see them at ......wait for it.....Iron Cross. Best race.

Harmonius Wrench
    Velocity A23's can now be set up tubeless as well. Several build options exist from Velocity, or you can lace up your own. Made in the USA, (if that matters), and are now available in a lovely polished silver for those not into black. I have some but don't have a cassette for the wheel set just yet. I will be trying tubeless with mine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If I was building a new wheelset for my Vaya it would undoubtedly be Hope Pro II hubs to Stan's Crest rims. Not terribly expensive, great strength to weight ratio (and light!)

Only thing is the Hope rear hub is loud.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yourideit- I'm currently running Geax Barro Race 29x2.0 on my Vaya and they fit great. The little rubber nubbin hairs on the edges of the tread just nicked the fork crown (I cliped them off with a nail clipper) and I had to put a brake rotor bolt in place of the fender mount bolt on the chainstay bridge to gail a little more clearance, but they work well. I'm sure the rolling resistance is greater than a touring tire, but running 30 psi on bumpy and pot-holes roads is sure nice. I had a set of Stan's 29er tires a few years ago, crows or ravens, can't remember which, and those were sinfully narrow for a 2.0 tire, but I may try a set on the Vaya (tubeless of course).

Funny thing about all this- when I was really into racing MTB's about 5 years ago, I kept looking for really wide, high volume 29er tire. Most were woefully small compared to their labeling, and from what I see, it has not improved much. Now that gravel grinders are becoming popular, those narrow 29er tires are a boon for the Vaya. Shiggy's site has pretty accurate 29er measurements, so that is a great resource.