Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Recalled Salsa stems?

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  88 rex 
#1 ·
Sorry to post here if it's bad form but I can't seem to get any response from QBP or Salsa about what to do with these stems.

Anybody actually send a stem back and get credit for it? I have a couple of these stems that look to be on the recall list.

So far I have called the QBP phone number given on the recall website, nothing. The LBS called QBP and nobody will call them back. Emailed Salsa...nothing so far.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

#3 ·
wesMAmyke said:
Sorry to post here if it's bad form but I can't seem to get any response from QBP or Salsa about what to do with these stems.

Anybody actually send a stem back and get credit for it? I have a couple of these stems that look to be on the recall list.

So far I have called the QBP phone number given on the recall website, nothing. The LBS called QBP and nobody will call them back. Emailed Salsa...nothing so far.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Im sorry you have had trouble. We are in the office from 8-6 Central time every day, and calling the recall hotline will ring several of our phones. Calling that number is the best option, emailing or calling QBP direct may not put you in touch with the right folks.

Tim, Salsa Cycles

#4 ·
chequamagon said:
Im sorry you have had trouble. We are in the office from 8-6 Central time every day, and calling the recall hotline will ring several of our phones. Calling that number is the best option, emailing or calling QBP direct may not put you in touch with the right folks.

Tim, Salsa Cycles
Hey Tim>
So when will the New CroMoto S.U.L. stems be in stock? nobody seems to have 'em website says 5/26/10

the other day searching online noticed there was a company in Canada that had some on Ebay, if i had to guess they're selling the recalled stems.

#7 ·
Sorry that you have had trouble. Here is a document outlining the process for you. As Tim pointed out the Hotline is your best bet. Also...as you can imagine we are getting a lot of phone calls on this right now so if you do happen to get the voicemail box, just leave us a message and we'll get in touch with you before the end of that business day.

Bobby
Salsa Cycles

Attachments

#11 ·
So the steel stem being discontinued was because nobody wanted them?

It seems like there were a few rounds of recalls for the Cro-Moto. There's still stuff up on the Salsa blog and such, one recall was for stems after 2007, then they were re-introduced with a "hash mark" to differentiate the new stems, then another recall happened for those post-2010 versions. They managed to make stems in the US for yeeeears, seems odd they can't they figure out specs for making them in Taiwan that won't break, especially after a couple attempts.

I know I would want steel stems if they had them, I imagine plenty of others would too. I've been around long enough that the "adventure bike" thing doesn't mean "Salsa" to me as much as a nice stem does.

#13 ·
Thread update more than a year later: Still not resolved.

After giving up on LBS #1 getting the stems sent back I tried LBS #2.

LBS #2 got the stems sent back months ago and a credit was issued to the shop.

I talked to someone at QBP about how it had been months and months since I had heard of the recall and had already replaced the stems on my bikes. He said I should go ahead and use the credit for whatever I wanted.

LBS#2 ordered me some tools in the amount of the credit issued to them. I received one item that was less than half the credit amount, other items I ordered were out of stock.

This is where it gets pretty annoying. While waiting for other items I ordered to be in stock QBP automatically used up the remaining credit on the next order LBS #2 placed.

The shop gave me the runaround saying it didn't know what the credit got issued for and couldn't figure out what was still owed to me.

I called QBP again to ask them to figure out where the credit went. I was first scolded for trying to order things that were not replacement stems after they told me to go ahead and order whatever I wanted! Then I was told they could do nothing and wouldn't even call the shop...

Then I was told they would call the shop and try to figure it out. I was never called back, nothing.

I have so far received less than half my credit for the returned stems, and I'm right back to getting no response from LBS or QBP...more than a year later still waiting.

#14 ·
Don't about your shop(s), but when I turned in my stem my shop contacted Salsa/QBP. They were told they would get shop credit for $60. My shop then told me to order whatever I wanted from where ever I wanted. Basically, they didn't care if I didn't order from QBP because either way they were getting credit from QBP and they frequently place orders. No money lost on them and I got a part I wanted (just happened it wasn't from QBP).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.