dvn
    mtbr member

Rear hub play. New Horsethief.

I noticed some side to side play in my rear wheel today. These Formula hubs are cartridge bearing, correct? So no adjustment can be made. Only about 200 miles on the bike. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. What are my options? Back to the Dealer?

mtbr member
    You may have done this already, but make sure your maxle is tight. I had a similar issue, but the maxle had loosened just a little bit which was causing it to appear to have play in the hub. I'm still dialing in the bike after about 150-200 miles and overall pretty happy.

get down!
    I think you can still adjust certain cartridge bearing hubs. I know I can adjust my Kings, which sometimes develop play. Dunno about the Formulas yet, I get my HT tomorrow.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If its the same hub as my 2012 El Mar, then yes it is adjustable. Ive already replaced the rear bearings and Ive only done 300 miles or so.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monty797 View Post
    You may have done this already, but make sure your maxle is tight. I had a similar issue, but the maxle had loosened just a little bit which was causing it to appear to have play in the hub. I'm still dialing in the bike after about 150-200 miles and overall pretty happy.
    Checked the rear maxle today and sure enough, it had loosened up. All good now! Thank you. Is it common for these to keep loosening up???

Birthday Collector
    We've seen new Maxle 12mm loosen a couple of times when new, then they seem to "seat in" and are fine after that. Making sure you keep things clean, a bit of light grease on the "axle" portion and threads, etc... all help make that a part of the bike that you forget about until you need to remove the rear wheel!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com