mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Rack and Fenders on Vaya with Alternator dropouts

Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone's had success mounting rear fenders and or a rack on a Travel Vaya with Alternator dropouts. Salsa sells an alternator specific Rack, but I don't much like it, and with the Alternator drop out, there's not much provision for fender mounting. Anyone come up with solutions to this?
    Andrew

mtbr member

I haven't tried a rack yet, as I prefer bike bags, but I've been very happy with my SKS Velo fenders. They use clip mounts that bolt on the frame. It's not a full coverage fender, but does the trick for me and comes off easily for travel/sunny days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    what size fender and tire are you running in that photo?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jcsjay View Post
    what size fender and tire are you running in that photo?
    Tires are 42c Conti CrossTours, Fenders are SKS Velo 47mm. I originally was using them with 35c tires. Wish I would have gone with the 55mm fenders for the wider tires, but they still do ok.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm wondering the same thing. Just got my Vaya Travel and I'd like to put some fenders on. Not sure the best way to make that happen. I'm not crazy about the SKS Velo Fender or other similar strut-less fenders. Would also like to be able to add a rack (with the fenders) in the future. Anyone else have ideas on this? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Biggest thing to ensure a good fit for the rack are the longer bolts and spacers that Salsa ships with the Alternator racks. Should be easy enough to source those from any reasonably decent hardware store.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Salsa sells the bolt/spacer kit or Alternator racks seperately (RK8031). I strongly discourage sourcing your own bolts as this kit is a higher grade (strength) bolt than what is likely available at most local hardware stores.

Murdog - Any specific reasons you don't care for the Alt Rack? Thanks for the feedback.

-PK@Salsa

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarf View Post
    Salsa sells the bolt/spacer kit or Alternator racks seperately (RK8031). I strongly discourage sourcing your own bolts as this kit is a higher grade (strength) bolt than what is likely available at most local hardware stores.

Murdog - Any specific reasons you don't care for the Alt Rack? Thanks for the feedback.

-PK@Salsa
    Thanks for the info Zarf,
    So to instal just full size fenders (without a rack) I would need to get a spacer/bolt kit right? I love the flexibility of the alternator drop out but it would be really nice to have a couple eyelets on the plates for fenders.