mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Question about Salsa El Mariachi stack height and 110mm fork

I just bought a Salsa El Mar with a Cane Creek ZS44 headset. Since I have a 1/8" fork, I bought the Zero Stack headset top and bottom.

Looking at Salsa's and Cane Creek's sites, my headset has a 4mm stack height, while the External Cup that the Salsa full build comes with, has a 12mm stack height for a tapered head tube.

This means my bike will have an 8mm lower stack height, so the head tube angle will be slightly less slack and a slightly lower BB. Not sure I want that exactly.

So my choices are
    1) Grab an EC lower from Cane Creek and a convertible crown race, so my 1/8" fork works with that
    2) Set my Reba RLT Ti at 110mm Travel

I could insert some other shorter piece of plastic in there as a spacer instead of the 20mm spacers that come with the fork to get it to 110mm travel. I currently have it set at 80mm for my Jabber, so I'll have to go in there and make changes anyways.

Seems to me that with the shorter stack height of the headset and a 110mm travel fork, I'm getting the best of both worlds, as I have a little more cush and the same stack height as Salsa recommends.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'd say don't worry about 8mm and just ride it. It won't make much difference.

Ride good on the internet
    Aug 2006
    According to the Salsa site, you should not run a 110mm fork on that bike. You won't feel an 8mm difference in stack height either, so don't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well, it will make a difference. Not MUCH of a difference, but it will be a difference. Half a degree of head angle among other things.

After talking to Salsa, as you said above, they recommended against the 110 with ZS route, so I went ahead and just switched my order at the LBS to a external cup bottom along with the reducer crown race.

rth009
    May 2010
    I rode my 2012 ElMarTi with a 100mm fork and a zero stack lower headest for 2 years. I just last week switched to a tapered 100mm fork and an External Cup lower headset. After a couple rides, I havent noticed any difference in that 8mm stack height, it rides great both ways. But if it does change head angle by 1/2 a degree you'd think that would make a difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Running mine with a zero stack headset and cromoto fork, no problems with handling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I have a 2014 mariachi and I have an 80mm fork or 110mm fork. Which one and why?
    I don't do drugs. I am drugs.