lurker no more

New question here. Putting on a Salsa flip lock seat clamp?

Silly question in my mind, but I've got a 31.8mm seat post tube and bought a 32mm salsa flip-lock collar (http://www.salsacycles.com/comps_skewers.html) Yet I can't easily place the flip lock over the seat tube...I've turned the flip lock collar over 180 degrees and still can't get it to fit. What on earth am I missing?

Thanks!

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    You've got the clamp open, right? If that's not it, I'm afraid I don't know. Never had any trouble swapping out collars.

lurker no more
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    You've got the clamp open, right? If that's not it, I'm afraid I don't know. Never had any trouble swapping out collars.
    Yup. Clamp is open...thanks for chiming in.

Any other takers out there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oreo
    Silly question in my mind, but I've got a 31.8mm seat post tube and bought a 32mm salsa flip-lock collar (http://www.salsacycles.com/comps_skewers.html) Yet I can't easily place the flip lock over the seat tube...I've turned the flip lock collar over 180 degrees and still can't get it to fit. What on earth am I missing?

Thanks!
    Are you sure you don't have a 31.8 seat post? (as opposed to the outer diameter of your seat post TUBE.)

That would 'splain it.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

lurker no more
    Quote Originally Posted by bmateo
    Are you sure you don't have a 31.8 seat post? (as opposed to the outer diameter of your seat post TUBE.)

That would 'splain it.
    Positive. I have the following:

1. A 27.2mm thomson post
    2. A 31.8mm seat tube
    3. A 32mm salsa flip lock

As a side note, I was finally able to put the thing on using 4 Canadian quarters, a paper towel and some grease. Hmmm...that sounds kinky. Let me explain.

I placed the paper towel on both sides of the gap of the seat clamp then wedged in 4 quarters into the gap to ever so slightly expand the diameter of the seat clamp. I lubed the inside of the seat tube, the bottom of the post and then slid the clamp over the seat post and inserted the whole thing into the seat tube of the bike. I then positionted the clamp over the outside of the seat tube, removed the paper towel and quarters and voila! Problem solved, but I'm surprised that no one else had this kind of problem.