mtbr member

Project Spearfish frame swap Complete! For now...

Hello internets,

For those who did not see my first thread involving this project;
    I started with a complete build kit from a 2012 Trek Superfly carbon from my buddy at my LBS. This was everything but the frame for about 1/4 of the cost of the bike! After demoing an Epic and the Spearfish, I decided the SF would get the nod. The Epic would be an awesome sit and spin race rig, but to me, it was a little too plush, soaking up everything on the trail. Not for me, any-damn-ways, I was able to swing a similar smoking deal on a SF2 frame (thank you again LBS!).

As others have stated the box was beat to $hit... However, the frame contained within was perfect!

Unboxed packing still on

Obligatory couch shot of the bare frame!

Quickly weighted the frame and fork, not too bad!

I was expecting closer to 3.5 from the fork. Don't know where I got that number from though.. Wishful thinking I guess.

The build was no where near a smooth as other complete frame up builds I've done in the past. My homemade HS press failed me leaving me to improvise with a mallet... Rear brake hose was too short, borrowed the brake off of the wife's bike. PF30 with GXP adapter was a PITA too... All worth it in the end though!

First ride was terrible. Only had an hour to drive 15 miles to the trail, got in a quick 5 while fidgeting with saddle and brake adjustments, hauled a$$ back home to catch my daughters soccer practice. I will never hurry a break in ride again!

Set up:

SF2 frame
    OEM Fox 32 Evo Float 100mm
    Easton Alu Havens
    Geax Saguraro 2.2 TNT's
    Thompson post
    Bonty RXL stem
    Sette small riser bar
    1x10 w/ X9 shifter & X9 short cage w/chain watcher
    SP1000??? Sram crank
    Combo Exlier 7 front & Hayes Stroker Trail rear brakes
    Cane Creak 40 series HS

Came in at 26.5 lbs with XT pedals

I'll post a review as soon as I get some more miles on her! Thanks for looking!

Jeff

mtbr member
    NIce bike.

What kind of chain watcher is that?

mtbr member
    It is a 3rd eye chain watcher. They have been around forever apparently. I had never seen one until I spotted one on one of the employees bikes at my LBS. He was running 1x10 as well, and hasn't has and chain dropping issues. I can't say the same... I only have a few miles on my SF with this chain watcher, and it simply cannot keep the chain from coming off on the pedal side. I have dropped the chain once since installation last week. Third EyeŽ Mirrors

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You mean it's falling off to the outside right? If you're only running an inside (3rd eye or N-gear jumpstop) it has no way to retain it from falling off that direction. You'll need a bashguard or a wrap-around style chain watcher (MRP style or Paul Components make one).

mtbr member
    Had an MRP on my MCR, obviously the watcher functions totally different. For $7 it was worth a shot! I'm still gonna give it a chance.