mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Painting inside the Salsa emblem...

I want to color in the Hot Pepper emblem on the front of my Mukluk... Any ideas on the easiest way to do this? What would be the best paint to use?

Pepper-- Red
    Top part-- Green

Birthday Collector
    One technique would be to use some nail polish - you get a small vial, with a small brush that is easy to get "detail" with, and a bazillion color options... When we get a hard-to-match bike in that someone wants touch-up work done on, we usually can find some close matches at a CVS or Walgreens, etc....
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    I checked the emblem on my Salsa bike and it has a clear coat. To prep it, you may want to carefully rough up the top edge of the chile and leaf/stem with a dremmel or sand paper. You can also find primer, paint and little brushes in hobby shops that would last longer than nail polish. On the other hand, if you use nail polish over the existing clear coat, you could scrape it off if you don't like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I used some sandpaper scuffed up the areas on my Fargo that I wanted to paint, and then painted it with some small brushes and model paint from a hobby shop. Turned out fine and held up to crappy weather well, even on the dropouts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Testors or tamiya paint with small brushes from a hobby shop. Make sure to stir the paint well, and use some thinner so the consistancy is...consistant.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well how about some pics of hand painted Salsa logos?

...big and slow
    Wasn't expecting to see this thread as I thought I was the only crazy person to even try this. I tried using vinyl cut from a pattern of the logo and failed miserably. While picking up scraps after a third failed attempt I saw some Tempera paint in the garage from a little craft my wife had the neighborhood kids doing after school earlier in the week. After about 30 minutes, this is what I ended up with.

Painting inside the Salsa emblem...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1351991566.567816.jpg

Painting inside the Salsa emblem...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1351991589.347930.jpg

The beauty of Tempera paint was if I screwed it up, all I needed to clean up the mess was a little soap and water. I'm now wondering if acrylic paint would do ok as a permanent solution? Anyone brave enough to try?
    Chromey

dirtbag
    Pretty cool chromhorn!
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I second the hobby shop paints. That should work pretty well. You could also get a clear coat to spray over top if you wanted.

Depending upon what the surface is like, you might be able to use a sharpie for an anodized type look. just a thought.

...big and slow
    After a very wet, messy and fun Global Fatbike Day Ride, my tempera paint looked pretty runny and in need of being redone. So this time I went for a more permanent solution by using Testers model paint.

Painting inside the Salsa emblem...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355099171.453851.jpg

Not too many people notice the colored head badge but those who do really like the idea. A nice subtle customization anyone can do their Salsa.
    Chromey

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The color paint looks really cool...esp. with the flat black frame color.

Makes me think about my Salsa bike.
    Tahoe29er

dvn
    mtbr member
    Nice. Man, I really want a Mukluk!