mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Opinions on dent in top tube of El Mariachi - Pics inside

Found a decent deal on a local bike but spotted a dent in the top tube in one of the pictures. Asked the seller to send me a couple more pictures and I'm interested in what others think. Should the structural integrity of the frame be OK?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Opinions on dent in top tube of El Mariachi - Pics inside-salsa1.jpg  

Opinions on dent in top tube of El Mariachi - Pics inside-salsa2.jpg  

Opinions on dent in top tube of El Mariachi - Pics inside-salsa3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My opinion - and just mine - that dent is probably one that you could live with forever. I've had similar dents in frames over the years with no issues. I had a VooDoo Azian with matching dents on both sides of the top tube (from a PO's bar ends) that had more of a sharp crease that I always looked at real hard - but rode the frame as a SS for a couple of years and a ton of miles and abuse. Frame is still being ridden hard by another member in my crew and no issues.

If you're getting a discount for that dent - then do what you feel. If they're asking near normal retail, up to you.

mtbr member
    Wot he said. Looks fine to me in those photos.

mtbr member
    I have the same bike in the same colour.
    These are great bikes to ride with a good all-round feeling. If you want to bomb down hills the risk may go up but if you just poke about it should be fine. I would find it very hard to give mine up even with that sort of dent or even bigger I would still ride it till I broke it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Don't worry about it. I've got a worse dent that that on the top tube of my 'cross check (not to mention a cracked and repaired chainstay) and I beat the hell out of it. Steel can take that sort of hit and still be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks everyone. Does $350 sound like a decent deal for the bike? Other than the dent frame looks new and it's a SS with budget parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cojames View Post
    Thanks everyone. Does $350 sound like a decent deal for the bike? Other than the dent frame looks new and it's a SS with budget parts.
    Being that a good condition used frame sells for about 250 - 300, yes. I just bought a frame in worse condition and an older model for 100.