Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ongoing Casseroll Saga: Installing Honjo Fenders

9K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mmullins437 
#1 ·
Greets all. Quickly allow me to introduce myself as a shop guy and Salsa fan down in Austin Texas. While my primary job of raising a couple of kiddos under the age of 2 dominates my time - I do like to get out in the garage workshop and tinker when I get the chance.

My latest project is converting my Casseroll into a dedicated commuter bike. I recently ordered up a set of Honjo fenders because I love how they look. Today the planets aligned in my favor and all the girls left the house on an all day post-Christmas playdate with some neighbors. I took the opportunity to leave work a couple hours early and crank up this project.

I'm figuring I'm not the only guy out there who'd like to put a set of Honjos on his Casseroll so I figured I'd post a brief description of the process as I'm experiencing it because, quite frankly its a bit more involved than I was expecting. These aint no planet bike fenders.

Pardon the bad text in the pictures. I had to resize them to get them to upload after I had edited the text boxes into the pictures.

For reference I used the following websites for reference. I'd read these both before doing the job. They are helpful but it seems every bike has its own challenges with installing alloy fenders.
Velo-orange
Jitensha
Also a Flikr album with detail shots

Step 1 - Installing the fender brackets

This went easily enough. I used the 15cm recommendation from the Velo-orange instructions, drilled my holes and tightened the bolts up. So far so good! Piece of cake. You sir owe yourself a sip of homebrew. See the first picture for a shot of the bike with the brackets installed.

Step 2 - Mounting the front fender at the brake post

Velo orange recommends using the daruma to hang the fender from the brake bolt. Sweet, I ordered me one of those with the kit. Doh! doesnt fit with the Casseroll crown design. The crown doesn't expose enough of the bolt to use the daruma, and to be quite honest it doesn't have a flat enough "bottom" of the crown surface to tighten it up properly. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this part. See pictures 2 and 3 to understand what the daruma is and the appearance of the fork crown innards.

Step 2.5 - Mount front fender using the L bracket.

Fortunately I had ordered an L bracket with the fender kit as well. I lined it up with the brake post, marked the holes with a sharpie, drilled them out and screwed down the bracket. Here I ran into another problem at the fork crown. Using the standard hole placement with the bracket in the position I'm assuming it should go one of the screw heads hits the crown and does not allow the fender to slide up away from the tire enough to allow good clearance. My fix was to drill another hole in between the two original holes on the L bracket. I'll be using the two holes toward the tip of the bracket to position both screw heads up inside the steerer tube and not interfere with the crown. I also put a dent into the top of the fender to fit under the Tektro long reach calipers. (Now there's justification in my mind for some new Paul Racer Brakes!) See pictures 4 and 5 for a shot of the modified L bracket and final install picture.

So far thats about as far as I've gotten. I still need to hacksaw the fender braces for the front fender and start over with the rear. I'll update as I complete the job. In the meantime I'd like to hear if others have tried this as well with any tips or different outcomes - Jason, I know you had mentioned having a set ready to put on.

Other notes: I'm not getting enough clearance for comfort with Pasela 32c tires. Using the conti CityRide tires that are a noticably smaller 32c I get much better clearance. A 28c or a "small" 32c seem to fit the bill for this setup.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Experience Mounting Honjo's

ATXSS,

I've run Honjo's and Gilles Berthoud's on my Casseroll(s).

First, the Honjo's: I'm on my second set...The first lasted 6000-7000 miles total on my Surly LHT and then my Casseroll. Moving them from one bike to the next required more drilling and was ultimately the demise of the fenders. They cracked right across the first set of holes drilled for the LHT. My second set installed easily with what I learned with the first set, here are a couple of pointers:
  1. You've found what I already new...The Daruma screws do not work with the Casseroll Crown!
  2. Instead of mounting the L-Bracket under the brake spend the dollars on a Sheldon (R.I.P.) Fender Nut. This moves the mount to behind the crown and eliminates the clearance issues you are currently dealing with
[*]Clearance with a Center-Pull brake a la the Paul Racers is much better for the fenders. This will allow ample clearance for 32's.[/LIST]

From what I've seen Planet Bike and SKS fenders mount up faster and allow more clearance for 32's, but they don't look as good (IMO). From my experience SKS and Planet Bike fenders also do not last as long, maybe 2-3 winters in Minnesota before the fender or one of the mounts crack.

My favorite tires this far on the Casseroll are the Schwalbe Stelvio 28's. They are super supple and fairly durable. I've gotten 3000 miles out of my first set before the sidewall tore. On my second set now. I'm looking forward to trying some Challenge 28's in the future, or a set of the Grand Bois 28 or 30's.

This bike has been my year round commuter, running one Campy equiped and the second as a fixed gear for the winter months. I could go on and on about how I've got mine set up and what I prefer, but that would take the fun out of it for you!

When are you going to have a Fargo?

#3 ·
JMKM said:
ATXSS,

[*]Instead of mounting the L-Bracket under the brake spend the dollars on a Sheldon (R.I.P.) Fender Nut. This moves the mount to behind the crown and eliminates the clearance issues you are currently dealing wit

My favorite tires this far on the Casseroll are the Schwalbe Stelvio 28's. They are super supple and fairly durable. I've gotten 3000 miles out of my first set before the sidewall tore. On my second set now. I'm looking forward to trying some Challenge 28's in the future, or a set of the Grand Bois 28 or 30's.

When are you going to have a Fargo?
Great tips. I assume you are talking about this bolt set. I did not know it existed but I was contemplating the possibility of mounting the fender L Bracket to the back of the crown in some capacity. Glad someone figured it out for me. Too bad I already drilled the fenders, but maybe the old holes won't be visible right up against the fork crown anyway. I'll definitely play around with this option.

As for the Tires, I'm thinking about a set of 28c Schwalbes next. possibly marathons instead, I hear they are bomb proof.

As for the Fargo - as soon as you have a complete to ship me in Feb. (one hopes!)

Thanks for chiming in with first hand experience. When I wrap the job up I'll post an update.

#4 ·
Thanks for this post... very helpful with my own struggle with the same issue: 2008 Salsa Casseroll with VO fenders to allow clearance for 32 studded tires. I have tried everything listed, and thought that the Sheldon fender nuts were the solution, but the front of the fender still doesn't allow enough room as it is sloped downwards into the tire. Maybe if I drill a new hole further forward on the fender combined with the Sheldon nuts I'll be able to get them in there...?

Not sure I'll still be able to fit them, despite Salsa's claimed 32s fit with fenders, but maybe worth a try before I resort to other means: SKS fenders or give up on the studded tires fitting with fenders...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.