Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Not your usual Spearfish?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  idinomac 
#1 ·
After a little bit of advice here.

I'm riding a 29" steel HT at the moment, and an Enduro 29. I love mt HT, but it beats me up a treat, so i've been looking for something short travel FS. (100mm or less).

Sadly, what I want, doesn't seem to exist (slack, low short travel trail bike).

So, has anyone built up a Spearfish for that sort of use? I plan on running a 120mm RS Revelation RCT3 on it, wide bars/short stem (760mm/50mm) 1x10, Reverb etc.

#3 ·
I did several Big Mountain Enduros on my Sperarfish 1. It was "ok" but less then ideal. Pretty tough on the extreme steep trails, drops and jumps, not slack enough Geo and too little suspension travel, a 120mm fork would have helped both. I love the races so I'm getting a 2014 Horsethief to better handle those type of trails and still pedal efficiently, I hope.

#4 ·
Dambala, I was just talking with a guy that works for Salsa and he had a Spearfish but he had been spending time on the new 2014 Horsethief and he said he loves it!

I love racing too but I'm getting older now and I'm only going to do about 1 or 2 races a year, so I'm mostly going to just be riding the bike for fun, so I'm thinking of selling my SF1 frame and fork and getting the 2014 HT frame and fork.

#5 ·
Dambala, I was just talking with a guy that works for Salsa and he had a Spearfish but he had been spending time on the new 2014 Horsethief and he said he loves it!

I love racing too but I'm getting older now and I'm only going to do about 1 or 2 races a year, so I'm mostly going to just be riding the bike for fun, so I'm thinking of selling my SF1 frame and fork and getting the 2014 HT frame and fork.
Did you expect a "guy that works for Salsa " to say any different.....just sayin..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.