mtbr member
    Dec 2009

No Salsa rims any more!

My LBS told me, that Salsa rims are not availiable any more and now I saw that the rims have removed from the Salsa website

Does anyone know, if there will be new rims tjis year or 2014?

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    That would suck I love my Gordo's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post

Does anyone know, if there will be new rims tjis year or 2014?
    Probably not. I think Salsa decided to allocate their engineering resources elsewhere to more unique and ahead of the curve products. The old rims were good but didn't really bring anything new to the table, especially with tubeless being so important these days.

turtles make me hot
    I emailed Salsa and they told me some crap like we're stopping rim production to really concentrate on Adventure by Bike...
    Aren't wheels like the most important component?
    I'm not happy about this.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

the scoop

Nyrr496,

Sorry to hear you are bummed about our rims going away. We originally expanded our disc rim selection because of the lack of options in the 29er market at the time. Now-a-days, there are many, many options for 29er wheels. Many of which are honestly speaking, better and less expensive than what we could deliver to the market with our resources and manufacturing channels. Considering this and the wealth of 29er rim/wheel options, we opted to step away from this area and concentrate the dollars and the development team's time elsewhere.

-PK@Salsa

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    Zarf, Just don't stop making the spearfish, Ok maybe in a 650B option .

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarf View Post
    Nyrr496,

Sorry to hear you are bummed about our rims going away. We originally expanded our disc rim selection because of the lack of options in the 29er market at the time. Now-a-days, there are many, many options for 29er wheels. Many of which are honestly speaking, better and less expensive than what we could deliver to the market with our resources and manufacturing channels. Considering this and the wealth of 29er rim/wheel options, we opted to step away from this area and concentrate the dollars and the development team's time elsewhere.

-PK@Salsa
    I can understand that... I can still miss them. I was willing to pay for them. They were awesome rims.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Redd, I'm with ya on that. I'm building a Spearfish for my wife right now... What a nice frame.
    I like turtles

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    Yeah I am saving my pennies, but buying my boy his first MB so that will set me back a little, but I think it will be great trade off to get to ride with both my children!!! NYrr496 post some pics if you want I would love to see her Spearfish!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by redd4573 View Post
    Yeah I am saving my pennies, but buying my boy his first MB so that will set me back a little, but I think it will be great trade off to get to ride with both my children!!! NYrr496 post some pics if you want I would love to see her Spearfish!
    Yeah... haha... Post pics. I've been trying to figure out how to do that for a couple of years now.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I had Delgados on my Casseroll SS (selling that bike is the stupidest thing I ever did) and they were tanks, like 525 grams or so. And they couldn't be run tubeless! Pinned not welded, I guess. Pretty dumb that Salsa would sell a rim you can't convert.

turtles make me hot
    Semis and Gordos on two bikes... Tubeless.
    I like turtles