Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

No more Casseroll in 2013?

Bummer.

Well, not really, as I already have one.

I was really hoping that they would make a disc version of the Cass. Unfortunately, I don't see anything in the lineup that fills the same niche as the cass.

The Warbird looks pretty appealing to my needs in terms of fit and geo, but it's got no rack/fender mounts.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Same here disc on a Casseroll would have been a great fit for the 2013 line up.

Birthday Collector
    As a dealer, I'll be sorry to see the Casseroll gone, but the new Collosal will fit the bill for a lot of the riders who were building Casseroll up from a frame for a distance/light touring bike... I'm thinking that it might become my road bike personally as it is "tourable". The Casseroll was a pretty bike, nice detail on the paint/decals, etc...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    As a dealer, I'll be sorry to see the Casseroll gone, but the new Collosal will fit the bill for a lot of the riders who were building Casseroll up from a frame for a distance/light touring bike... I'm thinking that it might become my road bike personally as it is "tourable". The Casseroll was a pretty bike, nice detail on the paint/decals, etc...
    Hmm......Colossal as a Casseroll replacement?

Not so much. My take is that the Warbird is "that" bike. Trouble is that you will have to convince customers that rackless touring is the way to go. The Colossal is pretty much a (too) skinny tired version of a Warbird in steel. (Which I feel the Warbird should have been offered in anyway.)

We're going to push Vayas at the shop I work at for that crowd that wants the "all-road" capability and traditional rack capabilities along with disc brakes.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    The fit seems very different. The colossal is MUCH longer reach and and lower stack.

And with no fender / rack mounts, not a very good choice for even light touring.
    Last edited by kapusta; 08-30-2012 at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My 2009 SS Casseroll was my first Salsa. I put 5000 on that bike in 2010. I have since acquired a used geared Casseroll (which I have since sold), a 2011 Vaya, and a 2012 Mukluk. I used to be an all Specialized guy, but now only stick to Salsas. I will too miss the Casseroll. Just a great, durable, do anything road bike and extremely comfortable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    We're going to push Vayas at the shop I work at for that crowd that wants the "all-road" capability and traditional rack capabilities along with disc brakes.
    Bingo. The Vaya is arguably more versatile in every way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    If you're bummed about the Cass, look at Surly. Maybe even All-City.

Birthday Collector
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    The fit seems very different. The colossal is MUCH longer reach and and lower stack.

And with no fender / rack mounts, not a very good choice for even light touring.
    We put together some Casserolls or customers that wanted a road bike for longer non-competitive rides, but wanted steel with at least 28mm/fender clearance. They weren't using racks, they weren't needing a lot of the "comfort" aspects of the 'Roll. Lower positions (compared to the 'Roll stock) and in these cases, the Collossal is a better match for the need we see. Others may have different experiences... GT - with my talks with the guys at Salsa, they really were insisting that the Warbird was a focused-use for Gravel Racing. I agree with you that it should have been offered in steel - but the racer might want to forego a bit of comfort for light weight. 'Sides, the big tires will soak up all the shock they'll need soaked up!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas View Post
    Versatile, yes, but for what I actually use it for I thought the Cass was nicer to ride.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    If you're bummed about the Cass, look at Surly. Maybe even All-City.
    I'm perfectly happy with my Cass.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Once, I owned a Casseroll and a La Cruz...

The casserol was great, rack mounts and tire clearance, quite upright and smooth... But it was a bit flexy and I hate rim brakes...

My La Cruz was AMAZING, but I really wanted rack mounts, and maybe a slighlty more upright position for longer tarmac stuff...

Vaya ticks all these boxes and more... I manage a Salsa dealership and the Vaya ticks so many boxes for so many different uses and riders, it is one of our most poplular bikes...

My thoughts as a guy who has owned both (as well as Fargos and La Razas), if you liked a Casseroll you will LOVE a Vaya...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
    Once, I owned a Casseroll and a La Cruz...

The casserol was great, rack mounts and tire clearance, quite upright and smooth... But it was a bit flexy and I hate rim brakes...

My La Cruz was AMAZING, but I really wanted rack mounts, and maybe a slighlty more upright position for longer tarmac stuff...

Vaya ticks all these boxes and more... I manage a Salsa dealership and the Vaya ticks so many boxes for so many different uses and riders, it is one of our most poplular bikes...

My thoughts as a guy who has owned both (as well as Fargos and La Razas), if you liked a Casseroll you will LOVE a Vaya...
    I rode a Vaya. I liked it for what it was, but I thought the Cass felt better for what I use it for: Short road rides to long day trips on back roads, often a little rough, mostly paved. It just felt more fun to ride to me. Vaya seemed a bit more "business". If I planned to load it up more, or to spend time on roads rougher than a typical dirt/gravel road (where 33s seem to do fine), I would have chosen the Vaya. However, I already had bikes that fill those other purposes.

I have actually considered getting a Vaya to replace my daily commuter (which uses a mtb frame) that I often load up pretty heavily with groceries. Seems like the Vaya would do great double duty as a commuter, loaded touring (which I have not done, but might want to try this fall), riding on roads/trails rougher than what I would like to do with the Cass. And if I could only have one road bike, it might well be something like the Vaya. I thought the Brown ones were gorgeous.

I think that there is definitely a market for something the Cass, because in recent years there seems to be a lot of similar bikes being offered by other companies (I am definitely not worried about finding a suitable replacement for the Cass if something happened to it, it just would not be from Salsa). I think the issue for Salsa is that it does not fit into their branding or customer base too well. The type of customer or riding that the Cass appeals to is not really where Salsa is focused. I would assume this showed up in the sales figures, which is why they dropped the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post

I had one of each (2011 Cass and 2011 Vaya) and the Vaya rode like a pig compared to the Cass... much heavier and just felt a ton slower...

speaking of the Colossal, I noticed the weight on the Ti frame was almost 4 pounds... heck I've seen steel frames that didn't weigh 4#... in fact I'd be really surprised if the Cass frame was any heavie than that...

and I'd LOVE to find a La Raza in the wine color!
    Like is too short to grow up, go ride a bicycle!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas View Post
    Some of the smartest people I know ride Vayas.

mtbr member
    I absolutely love the Casseroll and am sorry to see it go for sure. I had been anticipating their road bike update, and no I haven't ridden one, but I just don't see a big improvement with the Colossal 2. The frames with their forks weigh about the same, so I wonder what the total build weighs. I think mine with pedals in a 58 was 25 lbs. I really like Salsa for every reason there is to like about a bike manufacturer, but sadly I can no longer afford any of their bikes. The Colossal is double the price. My riding is about 50/50 flat road and gravel on 37mm Panaracer Tourguards, and I feel the Cass performs well on both. A great value that bike.

mtbr member
    Take a look at these, this is what Salsa should be making...
    Black Mountain Cycles: Black Mountain Cycles Frames

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My take:

The Colossal and Warbird are their first models under a new strategy, coming from the top at QBP. With Quality being the distributor of Ridley in the US, the idea is to focus on the gravel crowd exclusively (for the Warbird) and to use that focused design as its selling point.

With Surly still offering the affordable jack-of-all-trades Cross Check and Pacer (both w eyelets), Salsa could focus on disc bikes that are more singular in purpose.

For those pining for a disc (or not) Casseroll, look to Surly's Disc Long Haul Trucker and standard LHT.

I see less overlap between Quality's brands. I'm sure that's by design.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
    Take a look at these, this is what Salsa should be making...
    Black Mountain Cycles: Black Mountain Cycles Frames
    Is there any goe/sizing info? I could not find it.

Needs a disc option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Is there any goe/sizing info? I could not find it.

Needs a disc option.
    Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page...

And I disagree with the disc option being needed... Just not something that's needed on road bikes right now IMO, regardless of how much the marketers try to make me think otherwise...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
    Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page...

And I disagree with the disc option being needed... Just not something that's needed on road bikes right now IMO, regardless of how much the marketers try to make me think otherwise...
    Ah, found it. A hair longer reach and/or lower stack than the Cass (the opposite of what I'd be looking for), but very close, and better then almost anything else out there for that kind of fit.

Overall, looks very similar to the cass in terms of geo. Also like that he specifically mentions 33.3mm tires, and shows it with JB Greens, a favorite of mine.

I'm not a marketer, and I think discs are a big advantage for this kind of bike, or at least for what I would use it for. I see no downsides to disc at this point, only benefit. I have been wanting them on road bikes for years. But it is certainly not something I am going to get rid of my Cass over.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I really like the Cass. It has a special charm - the awesome paint job, the snazzy matching rack, the nice blend of performance and comfort. But, I can see why Salsa discounted it. It has an odd blend of traditional (steel frame, canti brakes, silver components) and modern (sloping TT, threadless steerer/headset, unicrown fork, STI shifters) that I don't think quite hit the right niche in the increasingly crowded steel roadbike market. Not really a roadbike. Not really a CX bike. Not really a touring bike. Not quite traditional enough for the notoriously retrogrouchy rando/Rivendell-wannabe crowd and not quite modern enough for everybody else. Tough needle to thread.

mtbr member
    I know this is an old thread, but you guys really helped me feel confident in the Cass as the bike for me, basically I liked it for all the reasons bolandjd stated as to why buyers like me are a tough needle to thread. I like vintage looks and frame materials with modern amentities. But vintage pricing would have been nice lol!
    I think for super tall or super short riders(I am the later), vintage in GUC is hard to find. I basically had to look for something newish as old stuff, it is either crap rusty beaters or pricey Campy pristine stuff that I can't afford and can't hope to lock up on errands or a road solo tour and come back to a complete bike!
    But was it on my radar as a ride? No. I had went into the shop fully intending on a Surly Pacer or Cross Check or an All City Space Horse. Are these more popular talked about bikes? Better marketed? I dunno. But once I saw the tiny Salsa Casseroll in the shop, it fit all my criteria and I didn't have to wait for it to come & get assembled. I only had $500 on me, so I put the money down on it and waited til Monday to pick it up as when I went in on Saturday, it was close to closing and they weren't open on Sunday.
    Well, I research everything I buy and this sortof freaked me out because I don't just spend over a G without research(sure it rode great but.....)
    Well, my worry soon went away. The more I read about it, the more I realize it is perfect for me and my needs. Sweet!

Did I catch a niner?
    The Cass could be gotten away with as a commuter quite easily while I am not so sure on the Colossal. I am also much more comfortable leaving a Cass locked up outside vs a Colossal. The bike has too much bling and just draws too much attention with that paint scheme, you can really "dumb down" a Cass to not draw so much attention. Plus the failed use of racks is a no go right there.

I guess it's the Vaya as a replacement via Salsa but I would really look at a All-City Space Horse.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1