mtbr member
    Sep 2009

No love for mamasita

So, I'm trying to narrow down my next frame. I ride xc and race whenever I get the shot and am a bit of a weight weenie. I'm coming from a singlespeed that I'm making a 1x10 due to some knee issues and the SS isn't helping it at all.

I always see posts of the steel/ti el mariachi, the spearfish and whatever new fat bike is coming out this week but, I have yet to see anything on the mamasita. I want something stiffer then steel and can't afford ti. The spearfish is nice but I like climbing a lot and prefer the hard tail over the fs. I've raced against plenty of guys on fat bikes (actually passed) but tey arent my cup of tea. Anyone riding one of the newer maasitas? If so, how is it and what's she weighing in at and how's she ride?

Also, I'm still not completely sold on carbon. I think you can have a perfectly capable race bike made out of aluminum.

Birthday Collector
    We didn't order any of the Mamasita frames here, as it is a pretty dedicated race-bike... Really stiff, - almost to the point of being overly harsh, in my estimation (and I ride a rigid Ti Selma with Whisky fork...) but on smoother trails it handled well, and it IS light. I actually think it would be a great race bike for courses that weren't too rocky or rooty. Put some sorta fat-ish tires on it and it could be a real rocket.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the input. I posted in two places and you're the first to respond. I'm racing on a kona big unit SS with a fox fork, so as far as being on a harsh frame I'm pretty use to that. Being 25 also helps me be able to handle the super stiff frames. Hopefully the mamasita will be around next season. I think I have about one more season on the current frame (it's been taking a beating) and that's when I'll be able to purchase one also.

Thanks, this is what I actually wanted to hear.

mtbr member
    I posted in the other sub forum. I have a black 26" Moto Rapido. I'm sure the Mama will be awesome and look much better in person.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    We didn't order any of the Mamasita frames here, as it is a pretty dedicated race-bike... Really stiff, - almost to the point of being overly harsh, in my estimation (and I ride a rigid Ti Selma with Whisky fork...) but on smoother trails it handled well, and it IS light. I actually think it would be a great race bike for courses that weren't too rocky or rooty. Put some sorta fat-ish tires on it and it could be a real rocket.
    I'd agree with the assessment here. I rode one for grins at the Salsa demo this past summer and if I were pursuing a fast XC race bike for my style of riding, the Mamasita would be a great fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thinking along the lines of a decent xc-race build (1x10 full X9 or XO, SID fork), any idea on a typical weight for a Mamasita ... 24-25 lbs?

mtbr member
    Tough to say without knowing every single component you plan on using. Going from XT/XTR pedals to 4ti eggbeaters is a big weight drop right there. I'd say 22-23 pounds with normal light components (no AX, Schmolke type parts).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Shimano is what I use. I have some eggbeater sl's in the parts box which I don't like. Your cleats get the slightest bit warn and your pulling out left and right. If and when I get it, I would put a SID fork on it I think, xt chain, crank, and brakes, xtr RD, slx cassette and shifters, and some Ritchey comp/pro cockpit. My wheels are arch/240s. This would also be my everyday bike as well, so I don't want crazy weight weenie parts that would need to be replaced sooner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Tough to say without knowing every single component you plan on using. Going from XT/XTR pedals to 4ti eggbeaters is a big weight drop right there. I'd say 22-23 pounds with normal light components (no AX, Schmolke type parts).
    If your right that would be a great weight for an alloy framed h/t with a suspension fork!! Most of the carbon framed bikes I've been looking at come in between 21-22 with a suspension fork ... sub-20 lbs if full-rigid.

I haven't decided to make the switch for sure, but if I do go back to h/t (or just add one), I would like it to be 23 lbs or less to really feel a difference from my f/s bike (28+ lbs).

mtbr member
    You can do the math yourself if you know the parts you want to use. If you search and ask long enough you can find the real, actual weight of almost any part. < 23 pounds should be doable without breaking the bank.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just broke my 2012 Marmasita at the drain hole on the chain stay. Fatigue crack, no crashes. Surprised me after only 1 year of use but, that is aluminum "poor fatigue strength". On a CF Kona King, running it SS. Much better handling bike turns faster and handles better than the Marmasita. Noticed the difference right away. Thank you "Bikeman.com"

On your left.
    Jan 2004

No love for mamasita

I've had 2 Mamasitas. The chainstays are too long and really it's merely a good budget Taiwan frame, nothing special and no soul. Period.
    A hardtail should be a fun playful active bike so you can work it on the trail - that is rewarding, But also slack enough in the front to allow a good rider to rail it downhill (though not necessarily straightlining through the chunder like an f/s). My next hardtail will be a Yeti.
    Last edited by Motivated; 05-12-2013 at 07:08 AM.
    M