Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New wheelset for Mukluk or new bike?

Should I get a cheap/midrange 29er or build a 29er wheelset for my Mukluk?

My 2013 Mukluk 3 is the first bike I've owned that's really nice. I love this bike. I ended up riding it as a trail bike all summer last year, but I'd like something a bit lighter/easier to get up hills.

I bike for the fun of it and am not super serious about it. I'm not extraordinarily weight conscious, but my Muk has Holy Rolling Darryl rims and 4.0" tires. I can't help but think 29er rims/tires would make it much more nimble.

I'll end up riding dirt trails, gravel, a bit of single track, and might do some bike packing. I live in Alaska, so the outdoors beckons.

Should I build up a 29er or 29+ wheelset for the Mukluk? Cost is a consideration here. My LBS says a 29er wheelset will run ~$600 and a 29+ (Rabbit Hole and Knards) will run ~$850).

Either of those wheelsets is cheaper than a new El Mariachi or Fargo, which was what I was thinking originally. But then my wife reminded me that I am not allowed to spend 100% of our money on bicycles...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    build a 29+ wheelset. beauty of the mukluk!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yep, that's certainly a thought. I've never ridden a 29+ bike or a 29er, for that matter. I'm not sure that a 29+ is different enough from the 26"x4" I've already got. Not saying it's not, I really just don't know.

Harmonius Wrench
    Here's my titanium Mukluk with 29"er wheels. Loved it this way. I highly recommend trying it. I am also looking at a 29+ set up when better tires are out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New wheelset for Mukluk or new bike?-fat-bike-wheels-7-12-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ask yourself how much weight you'll really save going with a 29er set of wheels. We talk about how heavy fat bikes are so out of curiosity I weighed my Lynskey Stratus against my Lynskey (full suspension) FS-120 bike. I was surprised to see the Stratus was only 4 lbs. heavier and that includes the rear rack I have on it. Granted there is a rotational mass issue of the wheels but if a person is only fixated on the overall weight, it's not that significant. Heck, I'm sure most of us have more than that weight gain at our waist lines. Food for thought .... ignore the weight, ride and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jkramer View Post
    Ask yourself how much weight you'll really save going with a 29er set of wheels
    I've given thought to this too, which is why I'm thinking 29er rather than 29+.

So I did some quick math. A pair of HRD rims and lightweight Husker Dus is about 9.2lbs (2,100g) for the pair (not including spokes and hub). A pair of Rabbit Holes and lightweight Knards is 7.4lbs (1,679g) for the pair.

So it's about a pound per wheel. I'm not worried about the total weight so much as the rotational mass. I really don't know how much of a difference this would make or whether it's worth the cost to me.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Wheels are always a good upgrade, given the choice of building good wheels for a bike I like or buying another bike, the money and benefit analysis usually leads me to a new set of wheels.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Ride and Smile suckas
    I am running a Muk 3 with a 26+ Dirt Wizard 2.75 on a Marge lite in the back and I had a 29 inch Rabbit Hole mounted to a 135mm front hub that I run a Knard on up front.
    So its a little of a budget option for you. The rear has been surprisingly sold when run around 12-15psi. These new platforms are great for hybrid fun. enjoy!
    Gotta love Surly for being creative
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My issue is that $600 or $800 is doable but it's probably my bike equipment budget for the year. So I'm waffling a little, and I don't want to spend that and regret it.

But if I hate it, at least here in Alaska, there should be a good resale market for such a wheelset, since there's a lot of folks in my position looking to get a bit more out of their Mukluk frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by paynetc View Post
    My issue is that $600 or $800 is doable but it's probably my bike equipment budget for the year. So I'm waffling a little, and I don't want to spend that and regret it.

But if I hate it, at least here in Alaska, there should be a good resale market for such a wheelset, since there's a lot of folks in my position looking to get a bit more out of their Mukluk frame.
    I totally understand the $$ thing, we're hoping to buy a house at the end of the year so bike expenses need to kept at a minimum. If the wheel set will eat up you bike budget for the year, I'd make darn sure that the drivetrain and any personal gear(helmet, shoes, warm stuff) will make it through the season before building the wheels.

Since you list dirt trails and singletrack as separate items in your original post, I'm going to assume that the dirt trails are multi use and maybe a softer surface than typical singletrack. If that is true, then I'll vote wholeheartedly for the 29+ wheels. If not, I still vote for 29+ mostly because I hope to build a set for my muk too! Another route to explore would be some of the new slightly wider 29er rims and use a nice big schwalbe tire to split the difference between the two then maybe try some 29x3 tires next season.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what route you take(literally and figuratively.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    yes, I was thinking of dirt and singletrack as different. There's a lot of dirt/gravel multi-use trails around Anchorage that are just great. Easy to get to and fun for the (reasonably) inexperienced like me. There's also a lot of paved trails that connect pretty much the whole town, too. It's a great city to be a cyclist.

And to my earlier "back of the envelope" math, I was using Husker Du as the comparison but I don't have Huskers on hand right now. All my fat tires are quite a bit heavier. So my weight savings will be larger, even with 29+.

29+ is probably better on rooty trails, right? And I'd rather avoid getting a new fork for simplicity's sake, and 29+ will provide a bit of squish without a real suspension.

Sounds like I've talked myself into 29+. Now, to talk the wife into paying for it. (She's actually forced me to get a fat bike in the first place, so I'm not foreseeing any problem.)

mtbr member

Most inexpensive way to go would be this wheelset from OnOne.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WPOOFATN...eelset-29-inch

Throw in a couple Chunky Monkey tires and your rolling for around $300.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nextie makes a 35mm carbon rim you can run 29 or 29+ tires on. it is what i am building for my muk. Going all out with I9 hubs but you could use a surly on the front and a hope on the rear to save some cash. Don't have much faith in the salsa branded hubs. In Ak or where I am in Montana you break a freehub it's a long walk out with Griz bears around... Those on ones look like a sweet deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The OnOne wheelset certainly is interesting.

Wait, what's this about Salsa hubs? My Mukluk was a complete bike so I didn't make specific component choices. I've never had anything built up custom before... I wouldn't have really thought about which hubs to choose.

And we Alaskans don't worry about bears. Bears worry about us.

(Kidding, of course. Bears are scary but are generally held at bay with a bell on the bike, which adds a jaunty jingle to the ride as well.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Griz in the lower 48 are way meaner!! Less berries down here? And no crow berries!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I went for a 29+ Surly Rabbit Hole wheelset w/29X3.0 Knards on my 2014 Mukluk which has an alternator drop out which makes the needed clearance available. I used identical hubs to the ones that came with the original 26" wheelset. I still use my 26" wheelset when I expect to encounter lots of sand. But the 29+ is great for most other surfaces for me so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New wheelset for Mukluk or new bike?-img_0500.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mfiles View Post
    I went for a 29+ Surly Rabbit Hole wheelset w/29X3.0 Knards on my 2014 Mukluk which has an alternator drop out which makes the needed clearance available. I used identical hubs to the ones that came with the original 26" wheelset. I still use my 26" wheelset when I expect to encounter lots of sand. But the 29+ is great for most other surfaces for me so far.
    Thanks! That looks exactly like the setup I'm thinking of! Sounds like you're enjoying it. The more I think about it, the more this looks like the way to go instead of a new bicycle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If your riding smooth trails then the 29x3 Knards look to be the way to go. I'm debating this at the moment as well but I don't think theres going to be enough volume to provide the cush required for our terrain. I think I will try and pickup the Husker Du's when they are available and stay with the Holy Rolling Darryl. Will look at the cheap carbon rims some time down the road as well. Would be interested in some 29x3 ride reports that compare them to the 4' in rough rocky conditions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    New wheelset for Mukluk or new bike?-img_0516.jpgNew wheelset for Mukluk or new bike?-img_0513.jpgYeah, that's always going to be an individual decision. In this terrain I ran my Knards at 12/13PSI. Worked for me. 29X3 or 26X4 - It's all a trade-off. Factors for me are 1. How much climbing do I have to do and 2. Will there be sand. Pictured is a ride that included 3,335' of climbing. I picked Knards on RH rims for this ride that got even rockier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New wheelset for Mukluk or new bike?-img_0515.jpg  

Pirate!!!

I built a new wheelset for my Muk,, I went with Hope Fatsnow hubs so that they would match what I'm running in Fat mode. And I used Stan Flow EX rims, hopefully they are wide enough to run a 29x3" tire if I ever feel inclined. Currently I'm setting the bike up for a four day bikepacking trip down the lost coast of California. Here's a couple pics. and one with 2.4 Ardents

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    After much soul-searching and chatting up the bike shop folks, I ended up going Rabbit Hole and Knard 29x3".

Just put 'em on the bike today but probably won't ride tonight. I did a quick circle in the driveway and I think I'm really going to like this setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Out of interest, what're the geometry differences between a Mukluk running 29er wheels, and an El Mar? I assume it won't be hugely different.

mtbr member

Guess I should have read to the bottom.

In homer lots of folks go 29+ on fatbikes. You can still air down and go on the beach if you want. Most are running rabbit hole and knard. I am just getting back into this but that is what I will do. I am having fun on my stock nates still. I might put on some old endo's today just for summer use.

Salsa Mukluk 3 I love it!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherbeintobago View Post
    Out of interest, what're the geometry differences between a Mukluk running 29er wheels, and an El Mar? I assume it won't be hugely different.
    I imagine the weight difference would be more noticeable than the geometry differences, but I don't really know. I didn't put the 29+ on a scale, but it's still not as lightweight as most trail bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had Angry Catfish in Minneapolis build me a set of 29+ wheels using Velocity Duallies, Industry Nine hubs, and 29x3 Knards. I'm hoping to give them a good ride later this week on some gravel roads as well as some pretty sandy forest roads and trails.

There could very likely be a Bluto in the not too distant future...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast