Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 36 of 36
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    52
    I've put over 100 miles on this setup now and I LOVE it. I'm starting to think of the Muk as a 29+ that's fat-tire capable. The only issue I've had is since I moved the alternators back, which I didn't need to do, the adjustment screws loosen up and creak when I pedal sometimes.

    This is definitely my favorite bike!














  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
    I had Angry Catfish in Minneapolis build me a set of 29+ wheels using Velocity Duallies, Industry Nine hubs, and 29x3 Knards. I'm hoping to give them a good ride later this week on some gravel roads as well as some pretty sandy forest roads and trails.










    There could very likely be a Bluto in the not too distant future...

    Hey - this bikes looks super sweet! I'm looking to do exactly this with my mukluk 3 (and potentially at ACF as well, though I'm keeping my eye out for a used wheel set)...

    I was hoping to ask a few more questions about the wheel build:
    - is this 135mm in the front and 170mm in the back?
    - And do you know if the rear wheel 170mm hub was offset at all?

    Thanks much man!

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by ytkuf View Post
    Hey - this bikes looks super sweet! I'm looking to do exactly this with my mukluk 3 (and potentially at ACF as well, though I'm keeping my eye out for a used wheel set)...

    I was hoping to ask a few more questions about the wheel build:
    - is this 135mm in the front and 170mm in the back?
    - And do you know if the rear wheel 170mm hub was offset at all?

    Thanks much man!
    Thanks, I had a lot of fun on it this summer! I just recently put the stock wheelset back on. I want to do some trail riding with the 26" wheels to get a better comparison before the snow flies.

    The hubs are 135mm front and 170mm rear. I think the rear is centered, but the front is offset.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,783
    How is the bottom bracket height on a Mukluk with 29+ tires?

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    How is the bottom bracket height on a Mukluk with 29+ tires?
    Oh, it's roughly 17 feet off the darn ground.

    I don't have the 29+ wheels on there at the moment (it's winter and I live in Alaska) or I'd measure it for you. But it's noticeably higher than the 26" HRD wheels with 4" tires..

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    52
    I have my 26 inch wheels on also, so I can't measure either, but this leads to a geometry question I have.

    One thing I noticed after trail riding both the 29+ and the 26s this fall was that going down a steep trail with some root ledges my center of gravity felt too high with the 29+ and it seemed like I was about to go over the bars. With the 26" wheels it just felt stable and could put the front wheel wherever and had none of the about-to-endo feeling. I assumed it was an issue with the Mukluk's geometry not being designed for 29+, but when I was comparing specs recently, I saw that the Mukluk and Krampus both have a 60mm bottom bracket drop. Does this mean that the bottom bracket height on both bikes is the same with 29+ wheels? If so, what other differences could lead to the high COG feeling I had with the bigger wheels? Would extending the wheelbase by by moving the alternators back help alleviate this?

    Two other differences I noticed right away after going back to 26 were: 1. more pedal strikes on techy single track, and 2. better climbing with the 26, but this could have something more to do with the effective lower gear ratio of the smaller wheels..

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,783
    Yes, if two frames have the same BB drop and the same wheelsize, they'll have the same BB height. Which I guess answers my question about the Muk with 29+ wheels!

    Quote Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
    I have my 26 inch wheels on also, so I can't measure either, but this leads to a geometry question I have.

    One thing I noticed after trail riding both the 29+ and the 26s this fall was that going down a steep trail with some root ledges my center of gravity felt too high with the 29+ and it seemed like I was about to go over the bars. With the 26" wheels it just felt stable and could put the front wheel wherever and had none of the about-to-endo feeling. I assumed it was an issue with the Mukluk's geometry not being designed for 29+, but when I was comparing specs recently, I saw that the Mukluk and Krampus both have a 60mm bottom bracket drop. Does this mean that the bottom bracket height on both bikes is the same with 29+ wheels? If so, what other differences could lead to the high COG feeling I had with the bigger wheels? Would extending the wheelbase by by moving the alternators back help alleviate this?

    Two other differences I noticed right away after going back to 26 were: 1. more pedal strikes on techy single track, and 2. better climbing with the 26, but this could have something more to do with the effective lower gear ratio of the smaller wheels..

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    876
    I have my Hugo 52 rims and I have a little more to save so I can get my i9 hubs but now I'm kind of second guessing it because of the higher COG I think it only a little bit but I am not sure on that 100%...

    After seeing the new Pivot fat bike that can run most any wheel size you want, it got me thinking about our Mukluk's.
    I remember reading back when I was looking to buy my Muk that Salsa had on their site that the Mukluk can't run 27.5 or was it 27.5 + I for one am old and can't remember
    but if the reason was because of just bottom bracket height the the problem is solved by using a thicker bottom headset cup to raise the front of the bike about an inch (would change the stack on the top of course ) then make a new rear alternators that have a lower rear thru axle raisING the rear of the bike.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    52
    As far as the high COG goes, I should clarify that it only was a problem once, on a steep, rutted downhill. Unless you're riding really steep, techy stuff, I wouldn't get too hung up on it. The geo numbers are very similar to a Surly Krampus, and their riders don't seem to complain about it, so it could also be a issue with my riding technique. On smoother, flowy trails, I loved it. The bike rolled over everything.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    876
    Oh I know and 29 plus is what 30" outside diameter, it's not that big of a deal to me, I'm going on with my 29er + wheelset, but I'm also thinking about the 27.5 + format as I said above. 27.5 + is going to be the next big thing in the mtb world, full suspension of course.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheirOnlyPortrait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by paynetc View Post
    Should I get a cheap/midrange 29er or build a 29er wheelset for my Mukluk?

    My 2013 Mukluk 3 is the first bike I've owned that's really nice. I love this bike. I ended up riding it as a trail bike all summer last year, but I'd like something a bit lighter/easier to get up hills.

    I bike for the fun of it and am not super serious about it. I'm not extraordinarily weight conscious, but my Muk has Holy Rolling Darryl rims and 4.0" tires. I can't help but think 29er rims/tires would make it much more nimble.

    I'll end up riding dirt trails, gravel, a bit of single track, and might do some bike packing. I live in Alaska, so the outdoors beckons.

    Should I build up a 29er or 29+ wheelset for the Mukluk? Cost is a consideration here. My LBS says a 29er wheelset will run ~$600 and a 29+ (Rabbit Hole and Knards) will run ~$850).

    Either of those wheelsets is cheaper than a new El Mariachi or Fargo, which was what I was thinking originally. But then my wife reminded me that I am not allowed to spend 100% of our money on bicycles...
    Hola Paynetc,

    +1 to the 650B+ option!

    Saludos,
    Federico
    Soon to be bikepacking South America making & printing family portraits for those who've NONE. www.theironlyportrait.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 12:08 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 10:15 PM
  3. Paid Spam- Salsa Mukluk wheelset with Tires
    By nitrousjunky in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 02:02 PM
  4. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 03-28-2012, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •