Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

New El-Mar Colours

Whoa - I love those new colours! They look so good, I'm almost tempted to ditch my spare suspension 26er (which doesn't get used much cos I always want to ride the El-Mar ti). I could have a red steel El-Mar as the spare bike to keep the ti company - or even the black/green!

The new black and green frame reminds me strongly of my old Cotic Soul which was shiny black with an big olive green Cotic sticker one the down tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New El-Mar Colours-elmar-red.jpg  

New El-Mar Colours-elmar-black-2-.jpg  

Falls-a-Lot
    I have the red 3 on-order...it should be coming any day. I have named him Gossamer, after this guy:
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    I'm waiting patiently for my Black and Green one to arrive. It's going to be my single speed. Trying to decide if I should put a green chainring and cog on or leave them black. It should be a BA single speed!

mtbr member
    I love the red; is there any way to buy it as a frame only in that color?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Let's turn this one over to the experts? Whaddya say guys? ATB Scott?

Birthday Collector
    Black & Green only on steel frames this year - much to my disappointment! I like the red, but we aren't doing much on 3-level builds - we are going the Shimano route for our optional builds and have an "Endless" kit to go with the "2" and "Ti" builds. Of course, if Black and Green ain't your thing, you can order a Ti frame... Hard to believe that we ordered a number of Black and Green frames thinking we'd build some of them for the floor, but only have a few left as they sold "nekked" pretty quick.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just picked up a complete 2013 Mari 2 on Friday. Love the colors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New El-Mar Colours-mari-2-photo.jpg  

New El-Mar Colours-mari-2x-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Looks like they got rid of the Salsa labels on the saddle? I also just noticed they moved the shift cables higher...I like that!

get down!
    That complete looks slick!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

just ride
    El Mariachi 3 - Red - Complete bike only.
    El Mariachi 2 - Black - Complete bike and frame
    El Mariachi Ti - Ti - Complete bike and frame
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ray S or anyone else who has seen one in person - does the black have a metallic flake, or is it just a solid gloss black?

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWS View Post
    Ray S or anyone else who has seen one in person - does the black have a metallic flake, or is it just a solid gloss black?
    I demo'd one last Fri. and I think it was plain gloss.
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ooooh Ray - that looks nice! I think my Ti is feeling lonely and wanting a steel brother!

PS. Does anyone have the lowdown on the Stans Rapid rims? I've not seen them before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It is solid gloss black.

Falls-a-Lot
    Are stores receiving the 3, yet? 3 weeks ago I asked Salsa on Twitter about the ETA for the 3 and they said "within 2 weeks," but here I sit with no bike and AFAIK my LBS has not received that shipment from Salsa. Needless to say, I'm antsy and frustrated. I gave up the opportunity to buy an entry for Iceman, since I don't have a bike I'm comfortable using for the race (my current bike is too small and miserably slow/heavy...I end up really uncomfortable after about 10 miles) and no longer would I have time to get in some rides and get a bit accustomed to the different handling of a 29er from my current 26er set-up.

Salsa did this to a friend of mine last year and she ended up canceling her Mamasita order and grabbing a Trek Superfly, instead -- she actually had a race that she needed a bike for and couldn't wait any longer. She had already waited a couple of months after placing her order and being told that it would be to her by a specific window. It's kinda crappy business practice to keep promising customers one thing and not delivering. I wouldn't be at all irritated by this if they'd at least throw out an ETA that was actually legitimate and didn't get my hopes up needlessly.
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm located in the Twin Cities (same place as Salsa), and my LBS is one of their biggest customers, so they probably get bikes a little quicker. The Mari 2 completes just arrived at the warehouse in Bloomington MN last week, and I havent heard anything about Mari 3's

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray S View Post
    I'm located in the Twin Cities (same place as Salsa), and my LBS is one of their biggest customers, so they probably get bikes a little quicker. The Mari 2 completes just arrived at the warehouse in Bloomington MN last week, and I havent heard anything about Mari 3's
    I had originally heard "by Nov." Then was given an ETA of early Oct. I'm assuming whomever told me early Oct. on Twitter was not actually in-the-know. A week ago I demo'd a 2 (they had a 3, but not in my size at the demo site) and when I asked one of the Salsa guys when I could expect my 3 he said they had shipped the previous day and should take 4 business days to arrive to LBSs. DH talked to another guy who gave him the impression that it was the 2s that had already shipped, not the 3s.
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Birthday Collector
    2's are in shops now - we got a bunch yesterday by truck, and we are on the Left Coast, a ways from Salsa in MN - so they should pretty much be landing everywhere that dealers had pre-season orders in. They look GREAT - Green, White and Black are kind of our shop theme colors, so the Black with Green and White trim is perfect for us.

The Colossal road bike is a good-looking bike too. The blue is a lot like the "Bomb Pop Blue" that was on the El Mar frame a couple years ago.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Hello all, long-time reader and scrounger for information, first message!

I am living in Whistler and looking to either build my own El Mariachi, buy the 2013 3, or 2012 2. I've been holding off on this for way (way way) too long, and now I need to take action. (even though it looks like everyone's sold out of 2012 XS's, boo).

Silly question, but I'm sure some of you know it matters: Is the paint finish on the 2013 El Mar 3 sparkly, or is it just a gloss red? I fell in love with El Mar 2 frame last year because of the way the colour changes in the light (and the way it rode and blah blah blah, secondary stuff! ). I might be able to convince myself to go for the 3 if the colour has some dimension to it.

BTW, I've been reading your blog, Zoomy, and you inspire me to really dive into cycling - Thanks!

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalPetalPeddle View Post
    Silly question, but I'm sure some of you know it matters: Is the paint finish on the 2013 El Mar 3 sparkly, or is it just a gloss red? I fell in love with El Mar 2 frame last year because of the way the colour changes in the light (and the way it rode and blah blah blah, secondary stuff! ). I might be able to convince myself to go for the 3 if the colour has some dimension to it.

BTW, I've been reading your blog, Zoomy, and you inspire me to really dive into cycling - Thanks!
    Awww...shucks!

It's a glossy tomato red...kinda midway between red and sort of a hot orange. Not metallic at all, but it's really striking. Such a great contrast with the white fork. I'm not sure I've seen last year's 2 frame. I thought it was kind of a dull blue, but maybe the one I saw was a different year. The 3 frame was a metallic green, I think. I had the chance to get a 2012 3 right away, but I read really great things about the fork on the 2013 and I liked the triggers on the Shimano set-up better than what I have on my current SRAM-equipped bike.

I'm really motivated by color, too, so I'm probably not the person to help you decide. When I knew I was ready to upgrade/change to a different type of road bike I knew I wanted to give SRAM Rival a try (I didn't love the 105 on my previous bike or the relaxed geometry)...and then Cannondale came out with that set-up on a white and orange bike...and orange is my favorite color. DH didn't even try to talk me down from that cliff.
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    The 2012 2 looks dull from a distance, but it's actually quite sparkly and when the light hits it, it kinda changes between blue and kinda turquoise - very lovely.

SO........ I spoke to my local Salsa dealer and they can order the 2013 El Mar 3 bike for me in teeny tiny XS, for a great price! I was leaning towards this one because of the Shimano parts - I prefer them to SRAM. I tested the 2, and I loved it except that shifting to the big ring on the left thumb shifter required much more strength than my pianist thumb can comfortably manage on a regular basis, lol. And I'd need to buy it in the states, which would incur an extra 13% duty (on top of the 9.5% WA sales tax and 12% BC sales tax.... goodbye, hard-earned $$$!)

Long story short, I'm super excited. Putting a deposit on it tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalPetalPeddle View Post
    The 2012 2 looks dull from a distance, but it's actually quite sparkly and when the light hits it, it kinda changes between blue and kinda turquoise - very lovely.

SO........ I spoke to my local Salsa dealer and they can order the 2013 El Mar 3 bike for me in teeny tiny XS, for a great price! I was leaning towards this one because of the Shimano parts - I prefer them to SRAM. I tested the 2, and I loved it except that shifting to the big ring on the left thumb shifter required much more strength than my pianist thumb can comfortably manage on a regular basis, lol. And I'd need to buy it in the states, which would incur an extra 13% duty (on top of the 9.5% WA sales tax and 12% BC sales tax.... goodbye, hard-earned $$$!)

Long story short, I'm super excited. Putting a deposit on it tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ha, we will have twins--mine will also be an XS! I fall right smack dab in the middle of the recommended height range for the XS.

I agree on the SRAM shifter issues for smaller hands. What's odd is that I find SRAM a much better fit for my small hands on road/CX bikes, but the opposite seems true for mtn. I borrowed a friend's Trek with the same SLX shifters that are on the 3 and found it to have a much lighter touch.
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Picked up my El Mariachi 2 yesterday. It looks great in person. The green really jumps off the black.

Took it immediately to the trail and had a blast with it. It's a change from the Pugsley that's for sure. Can't believe how fast it is! Looking forward to many miles on it.

mtbr member
    I know i have a bicycle problem when i want to own 7 different colors of the same bicycle.

Salsa, i hate you, but in a good way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomy29er View Post
    I agree on the SRAM shifter issues for smaller hands.
    Zoomy and PPP - you should both consider grip shifters. There are a couple of different diameter grips available. My bike came with SRAM triggers, and I found the thumb throw for shifting to a larger chainring too far for comfort - and I have fairly large hands. I switched to grip shifters and I couldn't be happier with them. My wife and daughters use them now, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast