mtbr member
    Sep 2014

New Bucksaw Thread

didnt find one ,but i just picked up a new 2015 bucksaw xo build so i thought i would start a new one...

just picked it up today...already ordered a set of trp spykes for it since the sram brakes locked up within minutes of being test ridden...and an absolute black 30 tooth oval chainring..

New Bucksaw Thread-dsc05099.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-dsc05100.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-dsc05102.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-dsc05103.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-dsc05104.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got the tires set up tubeless today...unfortunately its 107 outside but should be cooler tomorrow...
    the absolute black oval chainring,trp brakes,and a set of gold jagwire brake cables on the way,should have the bike pretty well dialed in by next weekend...

mtbr member
    looks great, what size tire is that on the back?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    both are 3.8's

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got out finally for a little dialing in ride...pretty fun bike i gotta say...i can see now why everyone on full squish bikes is always popping off every little trail feature...turns out its fun!

anyway..replaced the chain today to solve the backpedaling/chain dropping issue,moved the dropper remote,think everything is ready to roll on the trails tomorrow...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    managed to get the bucksaw dirty today...got out to the trails for a quick 10 mile loop over familiar ground to get a feel for the bike,didnt really push it too hard,just enough to get a sense of how it rides...

i like it! climbs well,didnt seem to wander during low speed climbs,did a great job easing bad line line choices,did great on a loose,rocky,chunder-y climb that i only make about half the time...seems like a fun,capable bike...

New Bucksaw Thread-img_20170625_110714702.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-img_20170625_112157385.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Great looking Bucksaw hampsterspam, nice ride report. They're a great bike for the rough stuff, rocks and roots disappear under the big rubber, very forgiving for those occasional poor line choices! I love mine for exploring off the beaten track
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bucksaw Thread-ambush.jpg  

'07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    being a desert dweller im a bit bummed about the single bottle cage...may have to pick up a frame bag so i can at least get the tools/tube/tire pump off my back...but a real eye opener,having only ridden hardtails and full rigid for so long i wrongly thought since i prefer climbing over bombing downhill that suspension wasnt any help for climbing...turns out i was wrong on that,at least in the case of this bike...
    yeah,its a really fun bike to ride,i already find myself looking for those little features to pop off...not that i wasnt doing that before,but the bucksaw makes it both easier and more forgiving of slightly off timing...

brakes and oval chainring should be in by tomorrow,and maybe down the line a rear hub upgrade...but maybe not,the salsa hubs feel pretty good,and i know surly rims are weighty and fussy to set up tubeless,(this time was no problem),but they are pretty bombproof...and i got such a good deal on this bike even if i do get an I9 for it i will still have saved 2 grand over the msrp...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Here's a look at the Salsa frame bag, it's a good fit and you can squeeze a fair bit in although it is a small space.
    I looked at the Wolf Tooth B-Rad double bottle adapter, looks like a great way to add another bottle but I would be afraid of knee contact through the technical stuff, might be a good solution to your water problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bucksaw Thread-frame-bag.jpg  

'07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    fortunately i dont really mind wearing a pack...and i always have the option of riding my ice cream truck which has plenty of bottle mounts on longer,more exploratory rides...i figure the bucksaw will mostly be for trail riding and shorter adventure rides...but yeah,i think a frame bag will be in order,useful thing to have...i have frame bags for the rest of the fleet...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got my TRP spyke brakes/levers,jagwire brake cables,and absolute black 30 tooth oval chainring in yesterday and installed...the brakes are pretty darn nice,setup was super easy,the absolute black chainring is of course a piece of machined loveliness...

all was well until the frickin dropper post seized up mid-ride...so thats the sram guide brakes seized within 5 minutes and now the sram owned company dropper post failed within 20 uses over 2 rides...less than a week and 2 major parts out for warranty...

which sucks because the bike itself is a blast,and of course the xo shifter/derailleur combo is like ninja ginsu shifting...man it is snappy!

at any rate,the brakes are replaced,picked up a rigid seatpost....never had a dropper before and did just fine without it,so not in any hurry to replace it...

New Bucksaw Thread-img_20170628_105718096.jpg

i guess this is why i dont buy complete bikes anymore...im very happy with the bike itself,just not the unreliable garbage they attached to it...

mtbr member
    Ordered my XL X01 yesterday. Planning on running it 29 with i40's and 2.6 nobby nic's until 2.8 options become available. Anyone looking to buy a new takeoff wheelset let me know

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i was thinking i would get a set of 27.5 x 3 wheels built up since salsa seems ok with the idea....although the extra float from the bigger tire is nice around here,most of the places i would ride the bucksaw its not needed...and those places where it would come in handy a 5 inch tire is going to do better so i would be more prone to taking the ICT...for now im just gonna stick with the stock wheels...this bike absorbed the bike budget for a while...i was gonna get a set of I9 wheels laced up full custom for my straggler,but thats gonna have to wait...considering i got the bucksaw for about 500 more than a set of custom wheels would cost i did good!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got the bucksaw out for a trail day yesterday...

New Bucksaw Thread-img_20170702_105728688.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-img_20170702_111333480.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-img_20170702_114151549.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    My Bucksaw arrived for father's day this year. It's absolutely a great bike. I can't believe how well it bombs downhill.

After my first few rides on the trails I realized that 1x with a 30 tooth is for people that live in areas without hills or with better knees than I have. A direct mount crank with a 28 tooth chainring is on order and should be here next week.

The 2016 closeouts were a great deal on these bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i put a 30 tooth oval on mine,i was actually having trouble keeping the front end on the ground on the steeper climbs...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sluglike View Post
    My Bucksaw arrived for father's day this year. It's absolutely a great bike. I can't believe how well it bombs downhill.

After my first few rides on the trails I realized that 1x with a 30 tooth is for people that live in areas without hills or with better knees than I have. A direct mount crank with a 28 tooth chainring is on order and should be here next week.

The 2016 closeouts were a great deal on these bikes.
    I went with a 28 tooth DM Sram GXP 1400 and have been happy with it (26T for winter), just a little bit easier on the knees during those long climbs!
    I'm thinking that the GX Eagle might be just the ticket for keeping the 30T up front but still being able to climb.

I've got a 27+ wheelset on the wishlist as it gets such positive reviews, but so far I've been happy on the stock Vanhelga's, a fun bike it seems no matter what sneakers you choose to put on it
    Last edited by Fat-in-Fundy; 07-04-2017 at 12:10 PM.
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Congrats on the Bucksaw you are definitely going to love it. I like you hate backpacks and have tried quite a few. At the end of the day i prefer nothing on my back. Here is what i did to get rid of the pack. Tool bag under my seat. Inner tube wrapped around my frame and secured by 3 velcro straps. I see a lot of guys just use electrical tape to messy and 1 time use for me. Water bottle with drinking tube attachment purchased from amazon. There is a double bottle holder available. I use an additional single attached to the back bottom side of my dropper for rides that are longer than 1.5 hours.

If you really want to see the bucksaw shine rent a shockwiz and get your fork and shock tuned in really good. This made a huge difference in my bikes performance with some settings I would have never have tried. Example my bluto has 60lbs of air and 3 tokens and performs amazing.

New Bucksaw Thread-img_0598.jpg

Enjoy!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bucksaw Thread-img_0565.jpg  

Camber Expert Carbon EVO Salsa Carbon Bucksaw

mtbr member
    "i guess this is why i dont buy complete bikes anymore...im very happy with the bike itself,just not the unreliable garbage they attached to it..."

So true a bike is only as good as the some of it parts.

mtbr member

2016 Salsa Bucksaw X01

Just got my XL assembled. In 29 mode for now waiting for the trails to dry out. I lusted after these when they first hit but gave up on having one a while back because of price. Couldn't pass it up at this price!

mtbr member
    New Bucksaw Thread-salsa.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    another fun sesh on the bucksaw today...really great bike...
    New Bucksaw Thread-img_20170709_105844422.jpg

mtbr member
    I have been thinking of picking one of these up, not sure if I should go with the carbon model or aluminum one. And im not sure what size to go for, salsa site says medium, I normaly ride large, im going to try and find a demo to make that process easier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    im liking mine a lot...aside from the brake and dropper issues,both got squared away,but its still a bummer when your new bike wont go...

mtbr member
    Okay here is my dilemma
    2016 Alu X01 for 2300 or
    2017 Carbon GX for 4300... my budget was right around 3800 so I would be paying 500 over but if I go Alu I could add Carbon rims and still be in budget, So is the carbon frame worth 2 grand to me?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Okay here is my dilemma
    2016 Alu X01 for 2300 or
    2017 Carbon GX for 4300... my budget was right around 3800 so I would be paying 500 over but if I go Alu I could add Carbon rims and still be in budget, So is the carbon frame worth 2 grand to me?
    There are probably still 2016 carbon models available for 4500. Those come with carbon rims and much nicer components than the 2017 GX models. I see that Universal still has these in medium and large.

If you can decide on a size your shop can order one in for you if they are available.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    think of it this way,im about 200lbs kitted up to ride,add the bike weight to that and the difference between a carbon frame and alloy is like 2% difference...and the alloy bike has a better set of components so i think a better value...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    ... the alloy bike has a better set of components so i think a better value...
    Definitely. The 2016 X01 has better components than the 2017 GX1 model.

Another option is to see if there's a 2016 GX bike available in the area. Those are $2300 which leaves a lot of $$$ for any upgrades in the budget.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yup,got my 2015 xo1 for 2100 and put about 300 into it for trp spyke brakes and an absolute black oval chainring and i figure i will get a 27.5x3 wheelset at some point so another 1200 or so there...so figure 4 grand by the time im done which is still a grand less than it would have cost and i will have 2 wheelsets...and a frame bag at some point too...

just rained here so there may be something resembling traction on the trails tomorrow which is always different than the usual kitty litter ball bearings over sun baked ceramic...

mtbr member
    Well I pulled the trigger and bought the Blue 2016 XO1 for 2200, thats an amazing deal on a brand new Bucksaw...I found some Whisky no9 carbon wheels selling for 600 bucks but the rear has light damage....not sure if I want that risk, the surly marge lights get a pretty good review so I may roll those first and see...I am definitely buying some Jumbo Jim tires, those nates are pigs.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the xo1 has super crisp shifting...
    marge lights arent that light but they are pretty bombproof...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Well I pulled the trigger and bought the Blue 2016 XO1 for 2200, thats an amazing deal on a brand new Bucksaw...

I am definitely buying some Jumbo Jim tires, those nates are pigs.
    That's a great price on a very good bike! Enjoy it.

If you want to sell the Nates send me a DM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    sure am having fun on my bucksaw...sure is different after riding rigid bikes for so long...still wrapping my head around the whole line choice not as important just smash your way through aspect of things...

i like the way it climbs,cleaned a bunch of sections of a fairly tough little climb today...

New Bucksaw Thread-img_20170717_111244967.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-img_20170717_113817021.jpg

mtbr member
    Has anyone had any problems setting the Marge lites tubeless? I bought some Orange seal tape and valve stems and also just ordered some Jumbo Jim tires, Are they the same as any other wheel? or is there some special technique I need to know? My bike arrives Thursday and im getting really excited, I also ordered some Raceface chester pedals in turquoise.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i used gorilla tape and about 3 full wraps...

mtbr member
    I used clownshoe rim strips over the standard ones. They've been solid.

mtbr member
    Well I got my bike and put it all together, tonight was my first ride and I really like this bike! Now ive had my Hightower set up with plus tires before and ive ridden a mojo 3 with plus tires and I can say the Bucksaw is a funner bike to me...I know where talking 40mm rims vs 70mm and 2.8 vs 4.0 but everything felt better to me. I cant wait til I get it set up tubeless with the Jumbo Jims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    went out today for a spin myself,still loving it,getting used to riding a suspension bike

mtbr member
    Loving mine too! Last weekend was first ride, a 30 miler. 10 xc, 10 asphalt, 10 technical xc. Probably the longest I'll do this year. I ran rougarous on rabbit holes. PR'ed a rocky section about 5 miles in, but lost traction on a fast corner after running it too wide. Maybe would have been fine if tires were not worn. Adjusted pressure up asphalt to roll better then back down for the last trail. Went too low at 10 and had some squirm but managed. Next going to try 29 on i40's rims. Innova transformer front. Fat b nimble rear

mtbr member
    New Bucksaw Thread-img_20170715_121928184_hdr.jpg
    Trek Farley 6
    Salsa Bucksaw X01
    GT Grade Alloy X

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got out for 35 miles and 3k of climbing on the bucksaw today...cleaned a climb i only make about half the time...ripped a descent which was super fun as i was able to catch air in a few spots...

New Bucksaw Thread-img_20170723_111714009_hdr.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-img_20170723_122654711_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice Pics man, shame that horses ass had to ruin that shot.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    hey! cmon,i do my best! oh wait,you mean the actual horses ass! yeah,multi user area...annoying but worth the slog to get up there...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    krispy kreme sunday...

a mix of singletrack,power line roads and arroyo bottoms...bucksaw ate it all up..

New Bucksaw Thread-img_20170730_102836429.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    One year in and this is still my favorite bike to ride, climbs like a billy goat!
    Installed a new Sram PC-X1 chain tonight, hopefully it'll help with the backpedal/chaindrop issue.
    Can't wait to see what kind of changes (if any) they've made for 2018.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bucksaw Thread-july-17-bluff2.jpg  

'07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i plan on getting out for a ride this weekend on the bucksaw,i expect it will be crazy fun in spite of being a ride i have done a half dozen times...i noticed that about my straggler too,made those same old trails seem like new again...on the bucksaw i find myself looking for trail features i can pop off of and catch some air...

mtbr member
    Well I finally had enough of the stock SRAM guide brakes that came on the bike, I had a set of Shimano SLX sitting around and installed them tonight, Major improvement to me, cant wait to get a good ride on it now.

I also was not having the best experience with the Jumbo Jims, my buddy who also has them on his fatbike (farley) told me I need to lower the pressure so the side knobs touch the ground when im sitting on the bike, so I also made that adjustment for tomorrow, I was running 11-12 psi now down to 8-9.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    my sram brakes seized up within the first 5 minutes...they got the kit to fix them and they feel much better but i still havent installed them,,,maybe in the fall when it cools off i will put them back on,for now the trp spykes are doing great...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    nice morning ride today....short and steep...got on some crazy ass climbs today,almost cleaned one of the climbs i have been working on for a bit,just one 5 foot section i havent ridden cleanly yet...

New Bucksaw Thread-img_20170806_081533790-2-.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-img_20170806_084452732_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Well I sold off my NS Django, I got the Hightower frame up for sale now and im going all in with the Bucksaw. I really wish it was 2 pounds lighter, I was thinking carbon rims but im afraid it will hurt the ride and make it to stiff.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i would think the suspension would ease any stiffness from the wheels enough...its a pretty plush ride

mtbr member
    Well I sold off my NS Django, I got the Hightower frame up for sale now and im going all in with the Bucksaw. I really wish it was 2 pounds lighter, I was thinking carbon rims but im afraid it will hurt the ride and make it to stiff.
    Stock Carbon Whiskey's are money in my book. The 4.0's soften the ride not to mention the monarch and bluto when tuned right get the job done and the ride is plush.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    New Bucksaw Thread-img_20170813_062529980_hdr.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-img_20170813_093744776_hdr.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-img_20170813_093750362.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    New Bucksaw Thread-img_20170815_171208532.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-img_20170815_174312027_hdr.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-img_20170815_183807971.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice pictures.

mtbr member
    How much are your full builds weighing in at for the new carbon model? Im thinking about picking up the new carbon bucksaw for a trip to bike off the top of Kilimanjaro so weight is of the essence

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Proud new owner of a used but not abused BS. Bought it from my LBS for $1650 with a RS Reverb dropper.

Compared to my Kona Process 153 & 111, this is an interesting
    bike that I think would climb even better with a 46-50t bail out cog. I got this for the snow but had fun on the wooded trails today. 4" front,
    ())??

I also prefer Shimano brakes, so I'll look
    for some SLX or XTs soon. I slapped
    on a new pair of One Up composite pedals which I like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bucksaw Thread-img_5482.jpg  

New Bucksaw Thread-img_5489.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fewg8 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	salsa.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	1145503
    I've been riding a beargrease fulltime for almost two years now. Bought a set of plus wheels for it and it's been great, but I'm really interested in the bucksaw now. I wanted to use it for XC races with plus and 29er wheels and then fats in the in the winter.

How does a bucksaw ride with 29s on it fewg8?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    I've been riding a beargrease fulltime for almost two years now. Bought a set of plus wheels for it and it's been great, but I'm really interested in the bucksaw now. I wanted to use it for XC races with plus and 29er wheels and then fats in the in the winter.

I wish I could give you good info but I have had few chances to ride as we just adopted a newborn. On top of that I haven't owned a FS in 10 yrs . I thought this would be my ideal bike and I was right. Short travel, easy to climb, and comfy tire clearance for my old achy bones. Running a Innova transformer up front which I am a big fan of for all around performance. FBN on back for now which is doing fine but will probably go with a teravail Cumberland for some side lugs as soon as they are available. All in all a great bike. Still need to rebuild the guide brakes though.....grrr
    Trek Farley 6
    Salsa Bucksaw X01
    GT Grade Alloy X

mtbr member

I would imagine on a 29's you we be better served changing the fork out to a pike 120. The Bluto serves its purpose for the fat tire fs bike it's meant to be. However as a race bike You need to lighten it up which switching wheels will help a lot. The Bluto is not built to race on 29's and is heavier than a pike. The performance that you would be looking for in a fork for racing will not be there with a Bluto. Switching wheels and fork would save a good 5-7 lbs (others correct me if I'm wrong here). Which is a noticeable difference on any bike. Going from my Bucksaw to my Camber I notice the weight difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by VladConnery View Post
    I would imagine on a 29's you we be better served changing the fork out to a pike 120. The Bluto serves its purpose for the fat tire fs bike it's meant to be. However as a race bike You need to lighten it up which switching wheels will help a lot. The Bluto is not built to race on 29's and is heavier than a pike. The performance that you would be looking for in a fork for racing will not be there with a Bluto. Switching wheels and fork would save a good 5-7 lbs (others correct me if I'm wrong here). Which is a noticeable difference on any bike. Going from my Bucksaw to my Camber I notice the weight difference.
    New Bucksaw Thread-img_2032.jpg

It is done. Man this bike is great. I will be swapping over the 27.5+ wheelset next week to see how it does. Check on the Bluto for race days. When funds allow i may get a light and cheap Reba RL if I get a 29er set. The Bluto RL on my BG has performed well, but definitely found its limits on a long haul 50mi race I did a few weekz back.

With that said, thr RCT3 behaves much better than my other RL. We'll see. Plus may be just enough especially if I pull the dropper, it should be reasonably light. New pics when plus wheels go on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VladConnery View Post
    No noticeable weight difference between the two forks

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    New Bucksaw Thread-img_20170827_081252477_hdr.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-img_20170827_084733975.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-img_20170827_084736894_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Took the Bucksaw to a proper technical trail and put it to work with plus tires. Still tuning the RCT3 Bluto. Its a little stiff. The Split pivot is pretty dang smooth though.

New Bucksaw Thread-img_2089.jpg

Just for reference on BB height with the 27.5+ wheelset.

Jumbo Jims x Whisky Parts
    New Bucksaw Thread-img_2070.jpg

Rocket Ron 3 / WTB Bridger 3 x Duroc 40mm
    New Bucksaw Thread-img_2078.jpg

Looking for suggestions on tube and tool storage. I want a mini frame bag in the upper part in front of the shock so that I can keep a water bottle too. Anyone use a strap and where do you put it. Also looking at the gas can option as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Looking for suggestions on tube and tool storage. I want a mini frame bag in the upper part in front of the shock so that I can keep a water bottle too. Anyone use a strap and where do you put it. Also looking at the gas can option as well.
    I use a Backcountry Research Gristle Strap to hold my tube and pump under the seat. Well worth the price and short wait to get one in my opinion. Gristle Strap - Fat Tube Saddle Mount

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sluglike View Post
    I use a Backcountry Research Gristle Strap to hold my tube and pump under the seat. Well worth the price and short wait to get one in my opinion. Gristle Strap - Fat Tube Saddle Mount
    Pretty cool little strap. Current kit wouldnt work with that though.
    -multitool
    -co2 + cracker
    -spare sram powerlink
    -pedro levers
    -tube
    -ducktape small wad

I fit that in this and would like to place it there. This is my saddle bag and needs a strap on the bottom. I may have to get my hands on a sewing machine.

New Bucksaw Thread-img_2095.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I like the Vital Frame bag from Spec, it might be too small for a tube but is great for easy access to tools, snacks, etc. Has a good fit and stays put.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bucksaw Thread-spec-vital-frame-bag.jpg  

'07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I picked up a 2016 X01 during the spring sale and currently run it 29 front and back, KOM i28's w/ DT BigRide hubs (built by MikeSee), CCDB Inline, Bluto, 2.5 DHF in front, WTB 2.4 TrailBoss in back. It's a very fun ride but I'm still working to dial it in. The bluto is especially finicky so I've picked up a 120mm air shaft to add when I rebuild. I'm thinking about buying a shockwiz to shorten the learning curve and educate myself. Tokens, spacers and rebound...oh my! I had a SC Nomad (bought used for a song) with a Pike on it. That was a sweet fork! Totally different bike but for my trails, the BS is a better fit. Anyhow, I love the BSaw at 29x2.5 and I love it at 26x4.0. I've read that it can take studded D5's and I might just try that this year. If it does, the Fatboy is up for sale. I've been out demo'ing bikes again and we have a one out, one in policy at my house.

mtbr member
    I have shockwiz. I will say that it's not necessary $$$ however wow can you learn a lot. Makes tuning a breeze and will really up you understanding of how shocks work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BeRad View Post
    I picked up a 2016 X01 during the spring sale and currently run it 29 front and back, KOM i28's w/ DT BigRide hubs (built by MikeSee), CCDB Inline, Bluto, 2.5 DHF in front, WTB 2.4 TrailBoss in back. It's a very fun ride but I'm still working to dial it in. The bluto is especially finicky so I've picked up a 120mm air shaft to add when I rebuild. I'm thinking about buying a shockwiz to shorten the learning curve and educate myself. Tokens, spacers and rebound...oh my! I had a SC Nomad (bought used for a song) with a Pike on it. That was a sweet fork! Totally different bike but for my trails, the BS is a better fit. Anyhow, I love the BSaw at 29x2.5 and I love it at 26x4.0. I've read that it can take studded D5's and I might just try that this year. If it does, the Fatboy is up for sale. I've been out demo'ing bikes again and we have a one out, one in policy at my house.
    I originally bought the bucksaw with full intention of offloading my beargrease, but for some reason I cant. Ive heard that fs fat bikes arent desirable in deeper snow, but I imagine locking out the rear will give me the traction I need.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    im still thinking i will get a 27.5+ wheelset at some point...and a bashguard...i do get a lot of pedal strikes since this state is basically a sandbox with rocks sticking out everywhere...and spiny plants...
    but i notice its easier to deal with on the bucksaw...who knew suspension helped keep the tires on the ground? lol

fun bike...confidence inspiring...but theres still plenty of terrain my ICT deals with much better with 4.8 tires...i found myself struggling for purchase on a few sandy climbs today,but the rougarous are fairly small for a 3.8...

im wondering if maybe going to a 50mm 26 inch rim might just make the tires a bit taller and give me an extra 5mm of pedal clearance or if 27.5+ would be better...

Jammin' Econo
    I rode the other night with a buddy who just built up a Bucksaw. Currently running 3.8s on it. We were bombing down a trail we both are both familiar with and letting it rip, and he was right on my tail. I swear, I though I was about to be sucked into an International Harvester combine with the way that beast sounded, right on my heels...
    Do it however you want to do it. You don't owe anyone an explanation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    fat bikes are rarely subtle....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    im wondering if maybe going to a 50mm 26 inch rim might just make the tires a bit taller and give me an extra 5mm of pedal clearance or if 27.5+ would be better...
    methinks you'll get more height out of 3.8x27.5 on 50-65mm. so say the pics above. about 3-5mm taller no?.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    those are rocket rons it looks like in the 27.5 pic which i think is a 2.8...so i would guess a ranger 3.0 on a 50mm rim would do it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    those are rocket rons it looks like in the 27.5 pic which i think is a 2.8...so i would guess a ranger 3.0 on a 50mm rim would do it...
    Those rocket rons are 3.0, but almost 3/4 inch shorter than the bridger 3.0

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    how do you like 27.5+ compared to 26x4?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    how do you like 27.5+ compared to 26x4?
    Easier spinning and a perfect compliment to the bike but still plush'ish. I only got 3 proper fat rides before I switched. I really wanted a 100mm plus bike but also wanted fat for shoulder season and low country snow rides. I keep waffling on keeping / getting rid of the Beargrease which was the point originally. An everything bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    we dont have seasons here in the sense,its either hot or not hot out...sand is sand whether its 100 out or 60...for how i use the bucksaw a lighter wheelset would certainly be nice...since i have a 26x4.8 and a 29+ wheelset for my ice cream truck its a better choice for long distance or more off trail back country stuff in many ways...but the squish is sure nice...but to that end i think i will get a mastodon for the ICT since it will work on the bucksaw as well...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got out for a little adventure ride today...50 miles door to door...great bike for it,i was lovin the squish today...2 beargrease,a bucksaw,and a pugsly so an all qbp ride at least...

New Bucksaw Thread-img_20171015_091944389_hdr.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-img_20171015_093008819.jpgNew Bucksaw Thread-img_20171015_114424070.jpg