mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New Big Mama, anyone still riding theirs?

New Big Mama, anyone still riding theirs?-big-mama.jpg

Ok, so I was a bit slow in building my Big Mama. I got the frame new about 3 years ago when they were being closed out for $600.
    I was in no hurry to build it because I had a Turner 5.5 Spot that I was riding. I loved the Spot so I was in no hurry to build the Mama.
    The frame sat in my basement for 3 years while I farted around, buying parts for it. At times I was going to put it up for sale, then I would come around to the idea of putting it together.
    This winter I sold the Spot and decided to put the Mama together. It's a hodge-podge build of new and used parts.

Anyway rode it for the first time yesterday. I LOVED it. So happy I decided to keep it.

Great frame, too bad it was out of warranty before I finally put it together.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have 4 other 29ers (shinobi, RM 970, yeti BT, jamis dragon) guess what bike gets ridden the most? Yep my big mama. Was going to sell it when I got the rocky mountain, so glad I kept it. It is the best all around trail bike I have ever owned.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I'm actually still riding a El K. Still rolling with the punches but might replace it this fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I still have mine but I would replace it with a Horsethief if I could afford it.

mtbr member

I am planning to rebuild mine this spring. Tore it down a year or so ago to build something else, but I miss it and want my Big Mama back. Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking when I tore it down.

mtbr member
    I just bought one last week. It is an amazing ride! XT/XTR build with Hope hubs and Stans wheels--set up as a 1x9. Replaced my Yeti 575 26r.
    New Big Mama, anyone still riding theirs?-10296577_781249278554812_805071987452377362_n.jpg
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

mtbr member
    Big Mama update. This bike is fabulous! My first 29r and I have nothing but good to say. I am experiencing none of the negative handling stuff and acceleration issues. It is fast and smooth handling in single track and ascends and descends better than any bike I've had.
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
    Big Mama update. This bike is fabulous! My first 29r and I have nothing but good to say. I am experiencing none of the negative handling stuff and acceleration issues. It is fast and smooth handling in single track and ascends and descends better than any bike I've had.
    Me too! Love this bike. It climbs much better than my more expensive Turner.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Wish I still had my Big Mama. One of my best bikes ever. Anyone have a medium sitting around?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common