mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Need some direction on FS

I'm in no rush but am trying to figure out what to get for a FS bike. I've been running a Mama for years now and want to do more technical trails. Nothing crazy, but more than I do now.

I can wait for sales/end of season and look at a 14 HT or SF. I'm not sure if the Split-Pivot is worth the wait. The other option is go for a 13 model this season. If I opt for a 13 then I have to decide between a HT 2 or 3. I've heard some don't like the White fork, but I can always swap the fork down the road.

Any feedback/recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Besides the Split Pivot--which sounds to me like it's worth it on it's own--the geometry on both the SF and HT have been changed/improved. A little slacker up front, a little lower BB and much shorter chainstays should make for a more fun/maneuverable bike. Sounds like you're not in a huge rush. If there's a chance to hop on both the '14 and '13 models to compare for yourself, you should.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I own 3 salsas but will be looking elsewhere for a FS bike. Though I admire the simplicity of the older bikes rear suspension, the whole flexing aluminum seat stays thing never really made me very comfortable. I can't comment first hand on the new rear suspension, but I don't care for the Fisher/Trek inspired front end geometry(worked for a Trek store, spent plenty of time on the bikes.) Knowing this, I still bought a '14 Mukluk(same GF/Trek front geo.) The problem for me is mostly how floppy the steering gets while climbing; and even though it is more stable while descending, I just can't get a good feel for what the front end is going to do for a given amount of steering input. Just one man's opinion, worked with a bunch of trek fan-boys that couldn't get enough of it.

I'd highly recommend a mass demo event, here in New England we have NEMBA-fest, ride as many different bikes as you can. FWIW, my favorite FS bike is the RIP 9(don't own one or sell them)leave the shock in trail mode and just ride.

mtbr member
    I own a 2013 horsethief 3 and love it, it does everything I want it to. I got a closeout and the price was too good to pass up. this was my first full suspension bike and I'm using it as a learning tool to figure out what I like and don't like. I originally wanted and still want a niner rip 9 and will probably get one down the road.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for all the advice so far. Right now I'm torn between the three options below. Like I said, I have a ride so it's no rush. 1 and 2 mean it's for next season; option 3 would ride this year.

1. Waiting until the end of the season and getting a 14 split-pivot.

2. Getting a 13 HT 1 frame and slowly getting components.

3. Pulling the trigger on a complete 13 HT 3.

I admit I am a Salsa fanboy and have been riding them for so long I see no reason to look anywhere else. My only problem with them is affordability but that is the whole market, not just them. If I could afford it I would be all about a 14 HF. Until then my 11 Mama gets all the attention.

mtbr member
    I've had several FS including a Pivot w/DW Link(gold standard). I honestly think the 2013 SF with it's single pivot is every bit as good. Fox's rear shocks have gone a long ways is enhancing once inferior suspension designs.

Shorter stays don't necessarily mean better. Neither does slacker head tube angles. That's all relative to personal preference. The 2013 SF pedals/handles/climbs as well as any FS that I've ridden to date. Just my $.02

I am sure the 2013 HT is gonna be pretty much in the same boat.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk