mtbr member

My Salsa Fargo 2 Experience Thread

Well I joined the Fargo club. I picked up a 2014 Fargo 2. I'm starting this thread to detail my ownership experience. I'll post pics and thoughts and rants and videos of my time with my new bike. A few pics to get things started....

Da Bike!

Front end!

mtbr member
    Front tire clearance is huge with the fancy ass Firestarter Carbon fork!

Comes with a thru axle set-up. The fork didn't come with the bolts. I had my lbs dig out some that fit...

mtbr member
    Woodchipper bar set up....

Thudbuster post. The bike is stock except for the saddle.

mtbr member
    Looks great!!! Better yet is that it looks like you got out for some dirt with it too.

mtbr member
    Crank and frt der...obviously....

Rear end. Sorry no rear tire clearance shot. The stock tires are 2.25 and there is plenty of room left...

CS2
    mtbr member
    Very nice, just checked one out Saturday. Why did you get the 2 over the 3?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Yes it is! Wanted the carbon fork the stans wheelset and the awesome blue colour! Wasn't sure I wanted the thudbuster post but I like it now. Once I got the clamp to stop creaking with every pedal stroke.

Me riding my Fargo in the terrain I bought it for...

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keski View Post
    Yes it is! Wanted the carbon fork the stans wheelset and the awesome blue colour! Wasn't sure I wanted the thudbuster post but I like it now. Once I got the clamp to stop creaking with every pedal stroke.

Me riding my Fargo in the terrain I bought it for...

Very nice.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Walked in to my LBS today during my lunch hour. They said "Hey. We have something for you." Apparently Salsa is replacing the Rock Shox Maxle Axle they used with the Fire Starter Carbon fork. My LBS said the one they included stock might be slightly too short? I haven't switched it out. But I will compare the two when I do. They replaced it with a DT Swiss ratchet axle...

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Can't speak for anyone else, but when started looking last year the Ti's were pretty deeply discounted then they sold out and I started thinking about what I really wanted. If you're going to do more loaded mountain-touring the 3 makes more sense (3x10 v. 2x10). On the other hand, I'm using mine as a cross/gravel/commuter/crap weather bike and the lever shifters were a better choice. My routes are relatively flat and I don't load up too much. The Fargo in any form is the perfect schizophrenic's bike. I run 2.1's in the winter, cross tires in the summer and fenders when it rains. My only beef is that the OEM post only comes with the medium elastomer and the clydes need a heavier version.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

My Salsa Fargo 2 Experience Thread

Walked in to my LBS today during my lunch hour. They said "Hey. We have something for you." Apparently Salsa is replacing the Rock Shox Maxle Axle they used with the Fire Starter Carbon fork. My LBS said the one they included stock might be slightly too short? I haven't switched it out. But I will compare the two when I do. They replaced it with a DT Swiss ratchet axle...

I went to my LBS because when I took my front wheel off to go tubless two washers hit the ground and I didn't know where they went. They only fit on the outside so I went back to the shop since two washers on the outside didn't make sense to me. After a call to Salsa they said the Maxle was two long so they put two spacers on the outboard side as a temporary fix. They also replaced mine with the DT Swiss ratchet axel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I had a chance to demo the same set-up yesterday. At first feel was strange with the postion of the bars. I come from a road and MTB background. It soon became very, comfortable. I really like this bike. Seems perfecy for plans for commuting and light bikepacking. Also looking at the Surly Ogre.

mtbr member
    Ownership update.

Most fun bike I have ever owned. It is fast, comfortable and highly capable and highly versatile. Having owned countless bikes since I got into riding in the early 90's. From high-end mountain and road bikes. If I could only own one bike. The Salsa Fargo would be it.

I've run a few different tires. The stock rubber of course. To 32mm road tires. I got some Schwalbe Super Moto 29*2.35 tires.

I've even set some Strava road segments KOM's on it and they are still holding.

I've never ridden a more confidence inspiring road downhill descending bike while running the Schwalbe Super Moto 29*2.35 tires. The bike feels like it is in-between a bicycle and motorcycle. Immense grip, smooth ride, totally muted sense of speed.

Problems? Just the usual creakings and clicking. The headset starting clicking and creaking at the lower race. LBS got it stop. The thudbuster seat clamp is another story. It still creaks pretty much all the time. Still trying to find a solution that isn't replacing it with a normal seatpost. The external bearing BB setup is starting to creak. LBS is going to take it apart. Clean it up and lube it up again.

Just a vid about my Super Moto tires...

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Ownership update.

Most fun bike I have ever owned. It is fast, comfortable and highly capable and highly versatile. Having owned countless bikes since I got into riding in the early 90's. From high-end mountain and road bikes. If I could only own one bike. The Salsa Fargo would be it.

I've run a few different tires. The stock rubber of course. To 32mm road tires. I got some Schwalbe Super Moto 29*2.35 tires.

I've even set some Strava road segments KOM's on it and they are still holding.

I've never ridden a more confidence inspiring road downhill descending bike while running the Schwalbe Super Moto 29*2.35 tires. The bike feels like it is in-between a bicycle and motorcycle. Immense grip, smooth ride, totally muted sense of speed.

Problems? Just the usual creakings and clicking. The headset starting clicking and creaking at the lower race. LBS got it stop. The thudbuster seat clamp is another story. It still creaks pretty much all the time. Still trying to find a solution that isn't replacing it with a normal seatpost. The external bearing BB setup is starting to creak. LBS is going to take it apart. Clean it up and lube it up again.

Just a vid about my Super Moto tires...
    You might try copper grease on the TB Post. I used a non-bike heavy grease and that solved the creak.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.