mtbr member
    May 2013

My new spearfish first ride log

I recently picked up a like new 2011 Spearfish frame. Built it up here are the specs:

Rock Shox Reba RLT (straight 1 1/8" with cane creek reducer crown race)
    Shimano XT M785 Brakes
    X9 BB30 Cranks
    X9 3x9 Shifters
    X0 9 Speed RD Short cage
    WTB Laser Disc/WTB I23 Wheels
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 TL
    Thomson Stem
    Thomson Setback Post
    WTB Devo Saddle with Green Salsa logo
    Cane Creek 40 Headset
    Race Face Carbon low rise bars
    XO 2x10 Front Derailleur
    Eggbeater SL pedals w/ Green Springs
    Odi Lock Grips

Total weight: 26.2 lbs

Ride:
    One word: Fast! Mind you I say a lot kind things about the bikes that I've owned and I've owned quite a few in my time (Scott Spark Carbon, Titus Motolite, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Pivot Mach 5, Rocky Mountain Element, Vassago Jabberwocky, Chinese Carbon... just to name a few) But one thing that stood out about this bike above the one's I mentioned is it's ability to maintain speed on smooth single track. (Maybe it's because most of the bikes I've ridden were 26") The reason I built this bike was to have a fast short travel XC bike like my Scott Spark (26"). I think it exceeded the Spark in every aspect even though it was Alloy instead of Carbon like the Scott. My Spark was about 22-23lbs but the Spearfish at 26lbs was still faster. It wasn't that it just felt faster my riding buddies all agreed I was riding faster. Climbs were just as fluid as my Vassago Jabberwock (Single Speed full rigid 29er) I didn't notice any significant bob or loss of momentum while climbing seated or standing. My preference is usually standing and the bike really felt like a dream even with the crappy Rock Shox Monarch R rear shock. I'm not sure what an upgrade to the Fox RP23 would produce but I'm curious to find out. In the meanwhile I'm quite happy with the bike as is even with the Monarch. Gearing and everything else performs as expected nothing special to note. I ran a 2x9 and I've been quite happy with the SRAM drivetrain thus far. I think SRAM has a more positive feel than Shimano, shifts seem to drop into place with a nice feel. Their cable routing system also is a little better refined. Anyhow I digress...

In conclusion... Fast, Climbs extremely well, light weight (for an alloy frame). I would characterize the ride like the Scott Spark at about half the cost. The cable routing could be a little better though. I had to buy a new hydraulic hose kit for my brakes since the rear was too short for the under carriage routing. Salsa did a lot of thinking into the frame to make it a nice upgrade choice for anyone looking to move their old parts over to the frame. Almost every component you currently have can be used on this frame.
    Last edited by Lemonaid; 06-03-2013 at 01:51 PM.