mtbr member
    Feb 2009

My new Horsethief Carbon

My new bike came in Monday on Monday. I've been waiting a pretty long time for it to show up due to some delays, but now that it's here I'm glad I waited for it! It's a 2015 horsethief carbon 1. I swapped the wheels to industry 9 trail 24s, and put on a reverb stealth dropper post and xt pedals. It came in at 27.75 pounds on the shop's park scale. I haven't ridden it yet, due to Minnesota winter and recovering from a broken hand from a crash last month. I'm itching to ride it, but I'm not sure I want to take it out in the snow (but I probably will anyway). This is by far the fanciest bike I've ever owned, and the craftsmanship of pretty much every part is beautiful. Here are a few pics of it sitting in the kitchen waiting for a real ride.

Human Test Subject
    What's going on with your cabinets

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

My new Horsethief Carbon

Lol. The one on the right is a roller.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Beautiful stealthy black bike! Enjoy when the snow melts!
    "Cut my pie into four pieces. I don't think I could eat eight." Yogi Berra

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks awesome. Like the murdered-out look. Impressive weight even with the aluminum cranks. I've been looking at the carbon Horsethief for a while now as a new ride. Yours is the first carbon I've seen except what's been on the Salsa site. Suppose being in MN has it's perks (home of Salsa) right?

That's the purple color isn't it?

Loyal Salsa fan, or new to them? I need to get my hands on one for a test ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

My new Horsethief Carbon

Thanks guys. It is the "purple haze" color, which is described as nearly black most of the time, and indoors it is very very dark, you almost can't see any purple in it. Out in the sun it shines a bit.

I rode one of these bikes at a demo in September. I had been riding tons of similar bikes while I was shopping, and really loved this one. I put down a deposit to order it right after that and I waited about three months for it to finally arrive. Being right down the street from salsa might even mean I was the very first person to get one, but I can't be sure of that.

I'm not a loyal salsa guy, at least not yet, as this is my first one. I am pretty loyal to the LBS where I bought it, which helped push me toward salsa. The new suspension design is great, and the parts spec on this model is pretty much just how I wanted it, so I went ahead and bought it. Due to the time it took to arrive I got a bit antsy and jumped on the wheel upgrade too.