Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

My La Cruz build

I was thinking of getting rid of my MTB, because in summer I will move to a location where the nearest hill is about 70km away. So I wanted to stay with the road bike only. But finally I decided, a offroad usable bike would be great. It should be a bike without too much service needed and something special. The logical conclusion was a steel fram with as few gears as possible. First I thought of a single speeder, but trying only one gear on road travels convinced me to go with a 1x9 drivetrain. I had left a complete 105er 9-speed from my old road bike. Thus only a frame would be needed. After thinking about a Crosscheck, I came to Salsa, mainly because of the great colours. I was thinking between the Casseroll and the La Cruz. Finally, I decided for the La Cruz because of disc brakes and the wide off road tires that fit in the frame. Here is my build, just did a few km on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Very Nice. Whst tires are those you are running?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Very nice! Tell us your impressions. I seriously considered a La Cruz (went another Salsa direction) and I recommend it often. Cool bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hi, the tires are Schwalbe Smart Sam 37-622. First impressions, the spring in the Avids is a little soft, not able to keep tension on the break cable. But this is not a Salsa problem.
    The frame is, although shorter than my road bike, not in any way too short. Donīt know why people like their frames so big, smaller folks were taking 53 and up frames, mine is a Salsa 51. More to come this evening, as I am on a ride in two hours.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Nice!

You have pushed me over the edge. My poor La Cruz is dirty and lonely right now. I must give my La Cruz a good cleaning, a new 1x9 drive train, and a long ride that consists of road and gravel.

Nice...And thank you.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    My website: Gnat Likes - Bicycles - Photography - Adventure - People
    Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Did a ride of about 40km today. Mixed road and gravel at about 70:30. The bike is silent. Neither the tires nor the drivetrain do make any noise. What a difference compared to my Campagnolo road bike, where I donīt need any rings because of the free hub.
    The geometry is compact, I ride the 51 frame with a 120mm stem and I am 185cm with inseem of 87,5cm. The position is from upright, to slightly streched when going on the STI top. The drivetrain is 105er triple, with only the mid ring (42) and a dura ace 12-25 9er cassette. This gives a nice pressured ride on the mid cassette ring. I will go for a 40er front ring soon, also to get a little better climbing ability. But when running on the 5th cassette ring the chain is nearly straight.
    Doing some slight up and down in the woods with gravel and a dry trail was great, the smart sam is tracking very well. It is easy to direct the bike on long straight downhills, didnīt try the technical stuff today, though.
    Breaks do very well, I am impressed with the breaking power, even on the second ride. Thereīs nearly no rubbing on the discs and still, the pressure is point is not too far back on pulling the levers.
    Only thing I donīt like too much about the avids is the machinging. The moving parts have some free play, like the arm, where the cable is attached to, I hope it will not fall off. This gives some light "ting" sounds when going over rough terrain. Though, it has some play when grabbing it, and when tightening the cable bolt. It is solid when pulling at it, or turning the adjustment knob. Hope it is normal then.

Overall, this is a great ride. It feels very versatile and will allow much fun. Frame size seems to fit well. Donīt know why most people like their frames one to two sizes larger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Perfect post!! Man I keep going back and forth........build from the frame up with mostly black parts for the black/orange theme, or buy complete with the nice and classic silver and orange. Both look GREAT, and the only thing I can see myself changing on the complete bike is the crank for something with 34/50.

Steel, discs, dirt, pavement..........sounds pretty darn perfect!

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    88, it is hard to beat the complete for value.

The La Cruz complete is a very nice balance of cost and performance. I love mine and I'm happy with the complete, but after many years of riding custom MTB, I miss some of the finer things in life like a Thomson seatpost and hand-built wheels.

When I started spec'ing all my own parts on the SpeedGoat bike-builder site, I pretty quickly had a $3,000+ La Cruz, and that seemed kinda silly to me at the time.

If you buy the complete, you get the bonus color-matched stem which is otherwise not available. Not a big deal, but that sealed the deal for me.
    It's a 6" 29er, 69 HTA, 29" standover, setup for 31.6 Joplin, 83mm BB, blah blah blah. A bike for being stupid. --Walt Wehner

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Tony, thanks for the advice. No matter how I slice it, I just can't seem to beat the price and there really isn't anything about it that I don't like.

What do you use yours for? I'm primarily looking for something that can go on long road/dirt/gentle singletrack rides. I have a feeling I would probably ride this bike everywhere all year round!

Now if I can only get a discount through my local shop with a team discount than I'll be the happiest person in the world!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    When I started spec'ing all my own parts on the SpeedGoat bike-builder site
    I did the same thing with my bike after I built it up...just for kicks.... and the same bike on Speedgoat was $800 more expensive and 2lbs lighter than reality.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Tony, thanks for the advice...
    What do you use yours for? I'm primarily looking for something that can go on long road/dirt/gentle singletrack rides. I have a feeling I would probably ride this bike everywhere all year round!
    I bought the La Cruz to be my "road bike". I didn't want my first road bike to be a throwaway carbon prima donna, I wanted a steel, disc-brake road bike with which I could mostly hang with the group on training rides.

I ride mine all over the place, but my hands can't take the pounding on rough trails, so I pretty much stick to easy trails, fire roads and pavement. The bike rides great on everything, and I've even done a couple of (very) small drops and jumps just to see how it handles, and it was fine in that environment as well. With narrow handlebars and weight-forward positioning I won't be flying into any rock gardens, but I find that it has a very wide range of applicability for general riding.

One other thing to think about is that the Casserole is a sweet bike if you don't insist on disc brakes. My main desire for the discs was to maintain theoretical wheel compatibility with my 29er.

Good luck with your decision!
    It's a 6" 29er, 69 HTA, 29" standover, setup for 31.6 Joplin, 83mm BB, blah blah blah. A bike for being stupid. --Walt Wehner

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Here it is in the wild:

Bought the 40 ring today, will try it tomorrow.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex
    Here it is in the wild:

Bought the 40 ring today, will try it tomorrow.
    Wow... Awesome. Very nice build. I like those Schwalbe tires you're using. Might have to find a way to get a hold of a set for myself. I don't know who carries those in the US. Gnat, does Q carry those Smart Sams? They should...

Thanks for the great pics! I've sure been loving my La Cruz. I got about 60 gravel and dirt road miles in on it today, in fact! Sweet!

Cheers,
    MG
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The frame coloured stem ist great, unfortunately, you only get it when buying the complete La Cruz. For the tires: perhaps you can order those on ebay, but it will be more expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here's mine..

She's got 8 spd barcons with 8 spd xt cassette and xtr rear derailluer. The beauty of friction shift. Campy Record front derailluer on sugino cross cranks. Love this bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Here is my campy centaur La Cruz

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    oops, here are bigge pictures,
    Campy Centaur drivetrain
    American Classic (shimano splined campy spaced) cass.
    Brooks saddle
    thomson bits
    xtr hubs laced to delgado rims yadda yadda ya

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Is that a 140mm rotor on the rear of your La Cruz?
    How's the modulation of the Campy levers and BB7s?

Really dig the Campy Build. Then again it's hard to go wrong when starting with the La Cruz.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, the rear is a 140 rear rotor, the brakes feel really good. They modulate nicely but will still stop like crazy. I love the campy too. This is my first campy bike. Two guys that I work with both bought campy bikes, I rode there bikes. That decided for me that my next build was going to be campy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. Firecross 45's

Has anyone tried running the panaracer Fire Cross 45's on La Cruz? If not, what's a good beefy tire that will fit?

THanks

SS93

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by steelstump93
    Has anyone tried running the panaracer Fire Cross 45's on La Cruz? If not, what's a good beefy tire that will fit?

THanks

SS93
    Fire Cross 45s will not fit, and WTB doesn't make the 44c MutanoRaptor that fit very nicely anymore, so that's out. I've been running 38c Schwalbe Marathon Cross tires on mine lately, and the 38c WTB InterWolf is another good option.

Good luck.

bike geek
    Here is my La Cruz. I got it a few weeks ago. It's the only pic I have of it so far, taken on a recent ride with my camera phone. This replaces my Hakkalugi which I sold to pay for this. The whole La Cruz package just sucked me in. Disc brakes. Fender mounts. Thoughtful stock build. And it's Orange with matching stem!

Mods include a second wheelset (Mavic Speedcity) which will be shod with 32c Soma road tires for commuting, while the stock wheelset will keep the knobbies for weekend rides on Tam, as well as the occasional Friday long route home from work, which has both dirt and pavement. I also just ordered a compact crankset last night because the stock gearing is too high for the hills I want to ride it up. Anyone need my stock Elita crankset?

I put my SKS full fenders on over the weekend, which had to be heavily modified to mount with the disc brake calipers. So far so good, aside from my 38c front tire rubbing the fender due to not enough clearance at the fork crown. Guess I will save the fat tires for the summer and ride slightly narrower tires for our rainy season when I have the fenders on.

This thing rocks, and it sure does attract attention. On my ride up the mountain yesterday, I got no fewer than 3 riders yell out at me "La Cruz" or "sweet bike!" One guy spent 15 minutes asking questions about it while I stopped to stretch halfway into the ride. My old curvy Ti Black Sheep didn't even get this kind of attention.

Thanks Jason & crew for putting out such a great bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Well, since this is turning into a "show your La Cruz" thread, I figured why not throw in some pics of my latest joy ride. I've had it for a couple days now and I love this thing. Had it out the other day around a bunch of mountain bikers and the minute I took it out of my Jeep some guy wanted pictures. The color is unreal in person!! I have yet to see a picture capture the true color. Lots of people are interested when they see it and many have taken test rides. I really didn't expect this much attention over a bike! The bike rides great on and off road and this will serve as my main road bike also. It's also taken the role of my commuter for the winter. Nothing beats long cruises with an added bit of adventure up a dirt path or road. Thanks Salsa and the guys at Speedgoat!
    Last edited by 88 rex; 11-03-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Pictures added

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    every time I think I'm over my La Cruz lust, SOMEONE feels the need to post new pics! Sweet looking ride. MUST. RE-SIST. PUT. CREDIT. CARD. DOWN!!!
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Keep em coming

I'm going to be building one up soon. Just need to sell some road bike parts that can't be moved over to the La Cruz.

Not really that big!
    Feb 2004
    I labored over the decision between the La Cruz and the Chili for months. I ended up going with the La Cruz and I couldn't be happier. I mainly commute on mine in its stock form. I would love to build it with a black kit, but the stock parts just work so well that I can't justify spending the money just for the right look. It really is a great bike. So smooth and comfortable on long rides, and once the brakes get broken in, they work great. I had a little trouble getting them set up initially, but now they are great. Love this bike!
    Just Ridin' Along

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Nice Build - Here's mine

I've had it set up as a flat bar and a drop bar. It's now permanently a drop bar.

Jason
    Salsa Crew

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by GnatBikes
    I've had it set up as a flat bar and a drop bar. It's now permanently a drop bar.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    Nice J...Bet that bike can take a beating with those Crossmax wheels...I just threw on my "commuter" wheelset tonight...a set of Mavic Speedcity with 32c Soma street tires. Now the stock XT/Delgado wheelset will not have to change shoes depending on where I'm riding (pavement sure does burn through cyclocross tires!).

Who makes that fender you've got on there. Pretty trick.

Brian

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Details

Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    Nice J...Bet that bike can take a beating with those Crossmax wheels...\

Who makes that fender you've got on there. Pretty trick.

Brian
    The bike was pretty nice with the Crossmax wheels. I also rode it for a long time (longer than with the Crossmax) with the new Shimano 29er wheels. I'll be building a set of DT Swiss 240 6 bolt w/Semi rims once the rims actually arrive (late November).

Fender: It's some cheap Apex Designs I got off the free table at QBP. It works OK at keeping the spray off your hind end, but it's pretty much worthless for anything else, especially if you ride with a group on rainy days. I'll be sporting a more full coverage this winter.

Jason
    Salsa Crew

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Nice to see those LaCuzes. I had to undergo surgery 3 weeks ago. Tomorrow will be my first ride after the recovery time. I willgo easy for the first ride, but I am already looking forward to it.

Regarding the colour as "88 rex" mentioned before, this is one unique property of the La Cruz and Salsa cycles as a whole. They have colours with such a "deep" shine, it is fantastic. Hope they donīt turn into this black, white, gray thing as others do. Although colours donīt look too impressive on the hompage on the newer framees.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

"Down by the river"

fux
    Scooterist
    Oh man.... Loving these pictures.

I bought a full kit on the www last week and it should be with me sometime before wednesday.

Cant wait.
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

fux
    Scooterist
    Finnaly!

Lovin` it....

Ok, I took the long route yesterday.... 120km.

bike geek
    In case y'all didn't catch this on the 650B forum, I think it's one of the coolest La Cruz builds I have come across yet.

http://www.bikeman.com/content/view/1888/147/

fux
    Scooterist
    Im on to that like a bug on jam!

Freelance Whatever

What size tires??

...are on the Cruz with the crossmax wheelset? How big can you go with them? Monstercross, extreme cyclocross, psychlo...whatever... me likey, Jason!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    In case y'all didn't catch this on the 650B forum, I think it's one of the coolest La Cruz builds I have come across yet.

http://www.bikeman.com/content/view/1888/147/

That will be an awesome set-up if the mini-moto ever makes it to production. It is very Rawland-ish.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Looks like fun, but too bad the La Cruz doesn't have a bit more clearance, those Neo Moto's are tight in there.
    Last edited by Tony; 02-05-2009 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Reference the correct tire, Neo instead of Quasi

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Too bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    Looks like fun, but too bad the La Cruz doesn't have a bit more clearance, those Quasi Moto's are tight in there.
    I need to chime in here. The La Cruz is a cross bike designed for 700c's. Keep that in mind if you set it up with 650b's. All I see in that set up is a disaster. Paint rub and a voided warranty when you ride it like a mtn bike and something breaks.

Just don't do it.

Jason
    Salsa Crew

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Paint rub and a voided warranty when you ride it like a mtn bike and something breaks.

Just don't do it.

Jason
    Salsa Crew

It does come stock with mountain bike rims.........just saying.

bike geek
    I need to chime in here. The La Cruz is a cross bike designed for 700c's. Keep that in mind if you set it up with 650b's. All I see in that set up is a disaster. Paint rub and a voided warranty when you ride it like a mtn bike and something breaks.

Just don't do it.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    Come on J, if you said that about the Casseroll I'd be with you, but this is the La Cruz we are talking about, the bike you always recommend when people ask you if they can take their Casseroll off-road. Aside from paint rub issues, which I agree are highly likely to occur with the 650B setup I referenced above, are you really concerned about anything besides CYA? I don't think anyone intends to "ride it like a mtn bike" just because they have a higher volume tire on it than you may have intended.

I have a 650B front wheel hanging un-used in my garage which I intend to put a Quasi-Moto on and try it 650B fat-front/700c rear, sort of like my fat front Jones. I think it will be a cool experiment. Mike of Black Mountain Cycles in Pt Reyes CA has a whole bit on his blog about interchanging wheels on a Rawland, and I think the La Cruz can handle it too. And if it breaks, no worries, I'll assume the risk !

Brian

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    I'd say that 650b isn't needed to ride the La Cruz like a mtn bike ;-) but I definitely have to pick different lines than when on my El Rey.

It isn't a cushy ride, but my La Cruz is really fun to ride on easy XC trails with 700x40 Ritchey Speedmax tires. I'm running them tubeless at 65psi on Stan's Flow rims (my lightest tubeless wheelset.)

As far as durability goes, who knows, but the trails I'm talking about (Marshall Mesa, Eagle Trail, and Teller Farm in Boulder, CO) have about a 50-50 mix of cross and mtb bikes on them in the winter so it is a fairly common thing to abuse cross bikes thusly around here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Come on J, if you said that about the Casseroll I'd be with you, but this is the La Cruz we are talking about, the bike you always recommend when people ask you if they can take their Casseroll off-road. Aside from paint rub issues, which I agree are highly likely to occur with the 650B setup I referenced above, are you really concerned about anything besides CYA? I don't think anyone intends to "ride it like a mtn bike" just because they have a higher volume tire on it than you may have intended.

I have a 650B front wheel hanging un-used in my garage which I intend to put a Quasi-Moto on and try it 650B fat-front/700c rear, sort of like my fat front Jones. I think it will be a cool experiment. Mike of Black Mountain Cycles in Pt Reyes CA has a whole bit on his blog about interchanging wheels on a Rawland, and I think the La Cruz can handle it too. And if it breaks, no worries, I'll assume the risk !

Brian
    I am simply stating there is a difference between riding off road with cross tires and off road with a big fat mtn tire. You do things differently in how you ride your bike off road.

With the La Cruz, yes I've ridden my La Cruz off road (no stunts, drops, etc). This has been done with cross tires that have a specific volume, width, etc. The volume, width, traction put limits on what I can and can't do with my La Cruz off road.

If someone puts fat 650b tires and now rides that bike like a true mtn bike, you are going to have problems because you will ride the bike differently as the bike would have more off road capability than with a traditional cross tire.

That is why I don't recommend it. The La Cruz is a cross bike designed for 700c wheels. It is not a mtn bike.

Make sense?

Jason
    Salsa Crew

bike geek
    I am simply stating there is a difference between riding off road with cross tires and off road with a big fat mtn tire. You do things differently in how you ride your bike off road.

That is why I don't recommend it. The La Cruz is a cross bike designed for 700c wheels. It is not a mtn bike.

Make sense?

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    I understand what you're saying Jason, don't worry. I think it's safe to say though that a 2.0 MTB tire isn't big nor fat enough to inspire anyone to go bombing through rock gardens or start taking 3' drops. That's what our mountain bikes are for. All I see it doing for me is providing a little more cush on the rocky fire roads around my house the La Cruz is perfect for.

mtbr member

I think you just need one of these.

I understand what you're saying Jason, don't worry. I think it's safe to say though that a 2.0 MTB tire isn't big nor fat enough to inspire anyone to go bombing through rock gardens or start taking 3' drops. That's what our mountain bikes are for. All I see it doing for me is providing a little more cush on the rocky fire roads around my house the La Cruz is perfect for.
    Ha!
    Last edited by Salsa Cycles; 02-05-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa Cycles
    Ha!
    Ha, you're a funny guy Jason. Must be that frozen tundra of a state you call home causing your senses to go numb! As much as I like the Fargo, I think my La Cruz is just about the perfect bike for needs...ok a bit more tire clearance would be nice...and the ability to have fenders AND racks would be nice too...uh, ok, I think I see where you're going with this now...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Isnīt there a whitish LaCruz that has Fenders AND Racks somewhere in the Salsa subforums?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

One from Brisbane

When researching how to build up my La Cruz I found the information from you highly informed and highly obsessional people quite invaluable so I thought I'd post the finished article for everyone to see!
    Basically I wanted a bike that would do everything and go everywhere: commuting, touring, occasional off road, trailer dragging, roadie bashing etc etc...
    I reckon the final spec is pretty much perfect. Triple chainset non-compact xt up front with 12-27 9 speed rear and 10 speed campag record ergos all indexing perfectly courtesy of Jtek Engineering shiftmate ( http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm ) (a wee widget that allows you to magically mix and match groupsets). Avid bb7s are surprisingly good - was worried about their power compared to hydraulics - and work very well with the record levers. I'm currently running 28c road tyres for the daily commute but can't wait to try out something wider and knobblier and go and scare myself on some singletrack.
    For size I went for the 51 - I agree with Carnifex here - I am 5'11'' with longish 34" inside leg. To ride it feels fantastic, fast and agile but very solid and planted - it would need to be ridden very fast to feel unstable on the road. It is a fair bit stiffer than I expected - some of which is down to the fork and 90psi tyres - but is not harsh, rather it seems to gain momentum and not lose it through the bumps. Very involving and very fun!

fux
    Scooterist
    Nice build!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    This is a nice build.
    I went for a ride tonight, I love this bike. . We had alot of rain lately and January and February were way too cold, but now it looks like spring is coming.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Damn you guys. Parts ordered. Shipped today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Add me to the list of people who have just finished their La Cruz build. Some parts I had laying around from other bikes, or some bargains found locally or on ebay.

A very special La Cruz frame
    BB7 w 160mm rotors
    Salsa Semi 29er Disc rims w Chris King hubs
    Dura Ace rear mech
    Ultegra front mech
    Stronglight Pulsion carbon crank
    FSA Platinum Pro Ti BB
    Chris King solto voce headset
    Thompson Elite seatpost
    Specialized Rival SL seat
    Specialized bars and stem
    105 brifters (slate black)
    Still waiting for the real tires to show up (Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 40mm)

Took it out for a short 3 mile ride tonight after moving the tires from my Specialized Singlecross over to it. It accelerates like a scalded ape. I'm looking forward to getting some miles on it this weekend and next week and then racing it next Saturday.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The frame and some parts just came in and are sitting at my desk... I can decide if I should close my office door and start building it now, or go home early.
    Last edited by ryball; 05-13-2009 at 01:35 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm confused. I see some La Cruz frames with full-length cable guides and some with interrupted top tube routing. Also some with frame pump studs on the headtube, and some not.

Mine came with interrupted routing and no pump stud. I'm a bit sad.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Crappy cell phone pictures inbound!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    I'm confused. I see some La Cruz frames with full-length cable guides and some with interrupted top tube routing. Also some with frame pump studs on the headtube, and some not.
    My guess is minor model run changes. I'm the second owner of my frame.

Steve

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sfuller
    My guess is minor model run changes. I'm the second owner of my frame.

Steve

I think yours is a preproduction, but I would have loved to have had full length cables on mine.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I want full run cables AND a pump peg.

btw, I LOVE this bike. I'll try to get better pics this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Must....have.....more.

I can't tell you how many times I've typed "salsa la cruz" into google just to see if there were any new builds up. Could someone please relieve me? I'm in the process of gathering parts for a build and I'm so damn excited. So, if you have updated your bike, recently built up a La Cruz or you just want to share a newer picture of your ride, please do. I need it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    I think yours is a preproduction, but I would have loved to have had full length cables on mine.
    According to the first owner, this frame was in the Salsa booth at Eurobike. It's seen a few miles since then

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

La Cruz

Here you go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nice looking build. What tires are you running?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eoglander
    Must....have.....more.

So, if you have updated your bike, recently built up a La Cruz or you just want to share a newer picture of your ride, please do. I need it.
    No problem !
    Here is my little different La Cruz build :

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My reply was actually for Smedly, but I have the same question for you, Irrah.

I'm playing with the idea of having my La Cruz powder coated. I'm not too crazy abut the flashy bright orange. I was thinking something like slate gray.

Anyway, that's a great looking build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Front tire is Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 37/622 and rear tire is Schwalbe Marathon Cross 40/622 .

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks, I think I might go with the Marathon XR. Everything I read about them makes it sound like the perfect tire.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by irrah
    No problem !
    Here is my little different La Cruz build :

What light are you running? Also, what chain guard is that?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    What light are you running? Also, what chain guard is that?
    Front light is Bumm IQ Cyo senso plus and Shimano Alfine hubdynamo.
    Battery powered taillight is cheap noname light from LBS.

Chain guard is temporary combination.
    Cheap plastic model which I bought for supermarket, fitted around original Alfine chainring guard .

I wait this Hebie Chainbar, it looks much better.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by irrah
    Front light is Bumm IQ Cyo senso plus and Shimano Alfine hubdynamo.
    Battery powered taillight is cheap noname light from LBS.

Chain guard is temporary combination.
    Cheap plastic model which I bought for supermarket, fitted around original Alfine chainring guard .

I wait this Hebie Chainbar, it looks much better.
    Ooh, how do you like it? Just ordered the B&M IQ Cyo R N Plus for my bike. I figured I would just always leave it on, so I skipped on the Senso.

I am having trouble finding anyone that makes a decent looking chain guard for my other project. Can't mount to the BB. The retaining cups for my BB don't have a lip.
    Last edited by ryball; 06-04-2009 at 01:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nice looking build. What tires are you running?

35c Ritchey Max Cross with reflective sidewalls.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I need to post new pics. Picked up a rack and panniers. Light and fenders on order. Almost fully commuter'd out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Post it up!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here are the requisite "in front of the garage door" shots. Almost done. Wow, you can see bad adjustments a lot better in pics. I fixed the seat, bars, and front fender after these pics were taken.

I included a pic of my bell attached to my pump because there wasn't room on the bars because of the cross top levers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That is one sweet build. I'll also be building mine up with Rival. Going for the same super commuter idea. Could you tell me the name of those rotors? I can't remember. Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    They go by a couple of different names. Alligator serrated and Ashima are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Alligator Serrated Brake Rotor review

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thank you! When I have the money those will certainly be going on my bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    btw, the bike now weighs 7000 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I bet it's still pretty light for a full blown commuter bike. Do you have the actual weight?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have no idea on actual weight, but it seems like it weighs more than my full squish mtb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm sure the front hub isn't helping much. Awesome build none the less.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, the wheels weigh a TON.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If anyone is looking to buy one, head here! I just picked one up. Can't wait.

http://www.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?Ic=31762

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If anyone is looking to buy one, head here! I just picked one up. Can't wait.

http://www.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?Ic=31762
    Yeesh, Beyond Bikes, scary. Good luck with that. I have heard bad things about them.

$488.75 shipped from Universal Cycles with their "VIP15" coupon.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=2156

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ****, really? Guess I should have done my homework. Te coupon on Universal only brings it to 533, not 488. We'll see!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Did some research. The only bad things I've read is that they take a long time to ship and that they're bad at communicating through emails. Once reached on the phone, they're supposed to be very helpful. I'm willing to deal with that for the price. As long as I don't read about goods damaged during shipping I'll be fine.

Thanks for the heads up though.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, I've never had personal experience with them, just going on what I've heard. Anyway, weird that the Universal coupon didn't work. I just ordered mine last month and it took the 15% off.

The discount you saw was a shipping discount (free shipping) not a % off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I typed in the code and it said 15% brought it down to 533. Not sure.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What I was trying to say is that the "shipping credit" (ie free shipping) of $41.81 is what brought the price to 533, not the vip15 coupon. Look at the bottom right of the line items in the cart.

If you look in the area where you input the coupon code it will say -

"vip15 | 15% off order over $xxx | $0.00" If the coupon had applied to the frame it would tell you how much you saved instead of "$0.00"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Gotcha, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Funny thing happened. I called Airbomb just to make sure that the frame was in stock and they don't even have authorization to sell Salsa Frames! So needless to say, they didn't have it in stock. I cancelled my order and I'll be going through Universal. Thanks for the heads up!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Hey I recently broke my Redline Conquest and I'm in the market for new frame. I would really prefer a steel frame over an aluminum and the La Cruz looks like a fine choice, plus my LBS carries Salsa. Few questions-

* Does it come as frame only or just the frame w/fork?

* My Redline was a 58 and it fit great, would really like to replicate the fit. According to the Salsa sizing chart I should be on a 55, and the 57 does look a tad big as far as standover and a slightly longer TT(10mm). The 55 has a 5mm shorter TT than my Redline tho and I'm a little leary going with any shorter TT, I'm running a 110 stem on the Redline. Should I go 55 or 57? I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam BTW.

* One of the things I like about my cross bike is the lighter weight, I use it for light trail duty, gravel paths and dirt roads. It was running 23-24lbs(depending on tires) with a Redline carbon fork and it looks like I would add nearly 2 lbs to that with the La Cruz frameset, a 25-26lb cross bike sounds heavy. Will a 55-57 size frame weigh close to the 4.5lb claimed weight?

Thx!

edit: 1 more question , I'm running a 130mm XT disc rear wheel, can it be converted to a 135 or would I need a new rear wheel as well?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am nearly the same size as you, and I am running 56cm eff. TT with a 110mm stem on my road bike as figured with a sizing tool at my LBS, it feels wuite good. This is, I decided for the 55 eff TT on the La Cruz, now running wiht a 120mm stem. The seat angle on the LaCruz is about 1° less than most road bikes resulting in a shorter reach, This has to be taken into account. Maybe the 57 is better suited then with a shorter stem. But look at the HeadTube, so that you will be able to get enough seat to bar height difference.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Good point on the heat tube, the 57 has a long HT and would put the bars around a half inch higher even without any spacers, also, my current fork would not fit. Is this a frameset only or can I buy just the frame?

I'm thinking the 55 is right, the TT is slightly shorter than my Redline but a longer stem should work fine. I have a long torso/short inseam for my height so I like a longer TT.

The weight is not a big concern but just wanted to keep it reasonable, I could probably erase the weight gain with a nice set of wheels and smaller tires, running a 42/35 combo now with cheap wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

New La Cruz build

Just finished building my new La Cruz yesterday. Some A hole stole my road bike so I got $3000 to build a new bike and decided to build up a La Cruz. Took it for its first ride and it is great. Very smooth ride. I am 6foot and 200lbs. Got a 53cm frame and it fits perfect. Used FSA compact bars with a 120mm Thomson stem. Chris King Headset. WTB silverado seat with Thomson seat post. Took the Mavic Crossmax wheelset off my RIP 9. Run 105 except for the derailleurs, front is dura ace and rear which is xt, that will change very soon the xt will have to go. Have Hutchinson Cross tires on right now but will change to something else for commuting. Anybody have any recomendations. Have not put it on the scales yet will do next week.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice build! What are you looking for in a commute tire? I use Conti Top Contacts and love them. The Schwalbe Marathons are supposed to be awesome, too. Heavy tires, but worth it IMHO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Added an extra set of wheels. Velocity Deep V's to some Deore Hubs with DT Swiss Champions spokes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here's mine!

Built it to be a good all-around country neighborhood bomber. 42/11-34 gearing, Avid Juicy 5 brakes, SRAM X-7 shift/der, Bontrager wheels borrowed from my Soho 3.0, Ritchey bars/stem/post and Trutative crankset sourced from eBay, etc etc. It isn't as light as it could be, that's for sure, but the ride is suuuuuper! Waiting on cable guides to sort out that rear line routing.

Open to suggestions for a good lightweight wheelset that doesn't break the bank?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You could use a wtb wheel set. I used to use them, they are cheap and get the job done. You could also get a set built using xt hubs and salsa rims. I like your build it looks good with those handelbars.

Now with 3 more inches!
    Looks great ryball.

What is that rear rack you're using? Any idea on the load capacity?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4