Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

My La Cruz build

I was thinking of getting rid of my MTB, because in summer I will move to a location where the nearest hill is about 70km away. So I wanted to stay with the road bike only. But finally I decided, a offroad usable bike would be great. It should be a bike without too much service needed and something special. The logical conclusion was a steel fram with as few gears as possible. First I thought of a single speeder, but trying only one gear on road travels convinced me to go with a 1x9 drivetrain. I had left a complete 105er 9-speed from my old road bike. Thus only a frame would be needed. After thinking about a Crosscheck, I came to Salsa, mainly because of the great colours. I was thinking between the Casseroll and the La Cruz. Finally, I decided for the La Cruz because of disc brakes and the wide off road tires that fit in the frame. Here is my build, just did a few km on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Very Nice. Whst tires are those you are running?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Very nice! Tell us your impressions. I seriously considered a La Cruz (went another Salsa direction) and I recommend it often. Cool bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hi, the tires are Schwalbe Smart Sam 37-622. First impressions, the spring in the Avids is a little soft, not able to keep tension on the break cable. But this is not a Salsa problem.
    The frame is, although shorter than my road bike, not in any way too short. Donīt know why people like their frames so big, smaller folks were taking 53 and up frames, mine is a Salsa 51. More to come this evening, as I am on a ride in two hours.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Nice!

You have pushed me over the edge. My poor La Cruz is dirty and lonely right now. I must give my La Cruz a good cleaning, a new 1x9 drive train, and a long ride that consists of road and gravel.

Nice...And thank you.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    My website: Gnat Likes - Bicycles - Photography - Adventure - People
    Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Did a ride of about 40km today. Mixed road and gravel at about 70:30. The bike is silent. Neither the tires nor the drivetrain do make any noise. What a difference compared to my Campagnolo road bike, where I donīt need any rings because of the free hub.
    The geometry is compact, I ride the 51 frame with a 120mm stem and I am 185cm with inseem of 87,5cm. The position is from upright, to slightly streched when going on the STI top. The drivetrain is 105er triple, with only the mid ring (42) and a dura ace 12-25 9er cassette. This gives a nice pressured ride on the mid cassette ring. I will go for a 40er front ring soon, also to get a little better climbing ability. But when running on the 5th cassette ring the chain is nearly straight.
    Doing some slight up and down in the woods with gravel and a dry trail was great, the smart sam is tracking very well. It is easy to direct the bike on long straight downhills, didnīt try the technical stuff today, though.
    Breaks do very well, I am impressed with the breaking power, even on the second ride. Thereīs nearly no rubbing on the discs and still, the pressure is point is not too far back on pulling the levers.
    Only thing I donīt like too much about the avids is the machinging. The moving parts have some free play, like the arm, where the cable is attached to, I hope it will not fall off. This gives some light "ting" sounds when going over rough terrain. Though, it has some play when grabbing it, and when tightening the cable bolt. It is solid when pulling at it, or turning the adjustment knob. Hope it is normal then.

Overall, this is a great ride. It feels very versatile and will allow much fun. Frame size seems to fit well. Donīt know why most people like their frames one to two sizes larger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Perfect post!! Man I keep going back and forth........build from the frame up with mostly black parts for the black/orange theme, or buy complete with the nice and classic silver and orange. Both look GREAT, and the only thing I can see myself changing on the complete bike is the crank for something with 34/50.

Steel, discs, dirt, pavement..........sounds pretty darn perfect!

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    88, it is hard to beat the complete for value.

The La Cruz complete is a very nice balance of cost and performance. I love mine and I'm happy with the complete, but after many years of riding custom MTB, I miss some of the finer things in life like a Thomson seatpost and hand-built wheels.

When I started spec'ing all my own parts on the SpeedGoat bike-builder site, I pretty quickly had a $3,000+ La Cruz, and that seemed kinda silly to me at the time.

If you buy the complete, you get the bonus color-matched stem which is otherwise not available. Not a big deal, but that sealed the deal for me.
    It's a 6" 29er, 69 HTA, 29" standover, setup for 31.6 Joplin, 83mm BB, blah blah blah. A bike for being stupid. --Walt Wehner

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Tony, thanks for the advice. No matter how I slice it, I just can't seem to beat the price and there really isn't anything about it that I don't like.

What do you use yours for? I'm primarily looking for something that can go on long road/dirt/gentle singletrack rides. I have a feeling I would probably ride this bike everywhere all year round!

Now if I can only get a discount through my local shop with a team discount than I'll be the happiest person in the world!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    When I started spec'ing all my own parts on the SpeedGoat bike-builder site
    I did the same thing with my bike after I built it up...just for kicks.... and the same bike on Speedgoat was $800 more expensive and 2lbs lighter than reality.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Tony, thanks for the advice...
    What do you use yours for? I'm primarily looking for something that can go on long road/dirt/gentle singletrack rides. I have a feeling I would probably ride this bike everywhere all year round!
    I bought the La Cruz to be my "road bike". I didn't want my first road bike to be a throwaway carbon prima donna, I wanted a steel, disc-brake road bike with which I could mostly hang with the group on training rides.

I ride mine all over the place, but my hands can't take the pounding on rough trails, so I pretty much stick to easy trails, fire roads and pavement. The bike rides great on everything, and I've even done a couple of (very) small drops and jumps just to see how it handles, and it was fine in that environment as well. With narrow handlebars and weight-forward positioning I won't be flying into any rock gardens, but I find that it has a very wide range of applicability for general riding.

One other thing to think about is that the Casserole is a sweet bike if you don't insist on disc brakes. My main desire for the discs was to maintain theoretical wheel compatibility with my 29er.

Good luck with your decision!
    It's a 6" 29er, 69 HTA, 29" standover, setup for 31.6 Joplin, 83mm BB, blah blah blah. A bike for being stupid. --Walt Wehner

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Here it is in the wild:

Bought the 40 ring today, will try it tomorrow.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex
    Here it is in the wild:

Bought the 40 ring today, will try it tomorrow.
    Wow... Awesome. Very nice build. I like those Schwalbe tires you're using. Might have to find a way to get a hold of a set for myself. I don't know who carries those in the US. Gnat, does Q carry those Smart Sams? They should...

Thanks for the great pics! I've sure been loving my La Cruz. I got about 60 gravel and dirt road miles in on it today, in fact! Sweet!

Cheers,
    MG
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The frame coloured stem ist great, unfortunately, you only get it when buying the complete La Cruz. For the tires: perhaps you can order those on ebay, but it will be more expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here's mine..

She's got 8 spd barcons with 8 spd xt cassette and xtr rear derailluer. The beauty of friction shift. Campy Record front derailluer on sugino cross cranks. Love this bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Here is my campy centaur La Cruz

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    oops, here are bigge pictures,
    Campy Centaur drivetrain
    American Classic (shimano splined campy spaced) cass.
    Brooks saddle
    thomson bits
    xtr hubs laced to delgado rims yadda yadda ya

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Is that a 140mm rotor on the rear of your La Cruz?
    How's the modulation of the Campy levers and BB7s?

Really dig the Campy Build. Then again it's hard to go wrong when starting with the La Cruz.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, the rear is a 140 rear rotor, the brakes feel really good. They modulate nicely but will still stop like crazy. I love the campy too. This is my first campy bike. Two guys that I work with both bought campy bikes, I rode there bikes. That decided for me that my next build was going to be campy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. Firecross 45's

Has anyone tried running the panaracer Fire Cross 45's on La Cruz? If not, what's a good beefy tire that will fit?

THanks

SS93

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by steelstump93
    Has anyone tried running the panaracer Fire Cross 45's on La Cruz? If not, what's a good beefy tire that will fit?

THanks

SS93
    Fire Cross 45s will not fit, and WTB doesn't make the 44c MutanoRaptor that fit very nicely anymore, so that's out. I've been running 38c Schwalbe Marathon Cross tires on mine lately, and the 38c WTB InterWolf is another good option.

Good luck.

bike geek
    Here is my La Cruz. I got it a few weeks ago. It's the only pic I have of it so far, taken on a recent ride with my camera phone. This replaces my Hakkalugi which I sold to pay for this. The whole La Cruz package just sucked me in. Disc brakes. Fender mounts. Thoughtful stock build. And it's Orange with matching stem!

Mods include a second wheelset (Mavic Speedcity) which will be shod with 32c Soma road tires for commuting, while the stock wheelset will keep the knobbies for weekend rides on Tam, as well as the occasional Friday long route home from work, which has both dirt and pavement. I also just ordered a compact crankset last night because the stock gearing is too high for the hills I want to ride it up. Anyone need my stock Elita crankset?

I put my SKS full fenders on over the weekend, which had to be heavily modified to mount with the disc brake calipers. So far so good, aside from my 38c front tire rubbing the fender due to not enough clearance at the fork crown. Guess I will save the fat tires for the summer and ride slightly narrower tires for our rainy season when I have the fenders on.

This thing rocks, and it sure does attract attention. On my ride up the mountain yesterday, I got no fewer than 3 riders yell out at me "La Cruz" or "sweet bike!" One guy spent 15 minutes asking questions about it while I stopped to stretch halfway into the ride. My old curvy Ti Black Sheep didn't even get this kind of attention.

Thanks Jason & crew for putting out such a great bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Well, since this is turning into a "show your La Cruz" thread, I figured why not throw in some pics of my latest joy ride. I've had it for a couple days now and I love this thing. Had it out the other day around a bunch of mountain bikers and the minute I took it out of my Jeep some guy wanted pictures. The color is unreal in person!! I have yet to see a picture capture the true color. Lots of people are interested when they see it and many have taken test rides. I really didn't expect this much attention over a bike! The bike rides great on and off road and this will serve as my main road bike also. It's also taken the role of my commuter for the winter. Nothing beats long cruises with an added bit of adventure up a dirt path or road. Thanks Salsa and the guys at Speedgoat!
    Last edited by 88 rex; 11-03-2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Pictures added

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    every time I think I'm over my La Cruz lust, SOMEONE feels the need to post new pics! Sweet looking ride. MUST. RE-SIST. PUT. CREDIT. CARD. DOWN!!!
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Keep em coming

I'm going to be building one up soon. Just need to sell some road bike parts that can't be moved over to the La Cruz.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast