Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thank you! When I have the money those will certainly be going on my bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    btw, the bike now weighs 7000 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I bet it's still pretty light for a full blown commuter bike. Do you have the actual weight?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have no idea on actual weight, but it seems like it weighs more than my full squish mtb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm sure the front hub isn't helping much. Awesome build none the less.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, the wheels weigh a TON.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If anyone is looking to buy one, head here! I just picked one up. Can't wait.

http://www.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?Ic=31762

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eoglander
    If anyone is looking to buy one, head here! I just picked one up. Can't wait.

http://www.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?Ic=31762
    Yeesh, Beyond Bikes, scary. Good luck with that. I have heard bad things about them.

$488.75 shipped from Universal Cycles with their "VIP15" coupon.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=2156

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ****, really? Guess I should have done my homework. Te coupon on Universal only brings it to 533, not 488. We'll see!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Did some research. The only bad things I've read is that they take a long time to ship and that they're bad at communicating through emails. Once reached on the phone, they're supposed to be very helpful. I'm willing to deal with that for the price. As long as I don't read about goods damaged during shipping I'll be fine.

Thanks for the heads up though.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, I've never had personal experience with them, just going on what I've heard. Anyway, weird that the Universal coupon didn't work. I just ordered mine last month and it took the 15% off.

The discount you saw was a shipping discount (free shipping) not a % off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I typed in the code and it said 15% brought it down to 533. Not sure.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What I was trying to say is that the "shipping credit" (ie free shipping) of $41.81 is what brought the price to 533, not the vip15 coupon. Look at the bottom right of the line items in the cart.

If you look in the area where you input the coupon code it will say -

"vip15 | 15% off order over $xxx | $0.00" If the coupon had applied to the frame it would tell you how much you saved instead of "$0.00"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Gotcha, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Funny thing happened. I called Airbomb just to make sure that the frame was in stock and they don't even have authorization to sell Salsa Frames! So needless to say, they didn't have it in stock. I cancelled my order and I'll be going through Universal. Thanks for the heads up!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Hey I recently broke my Redline Conquest and I'm in the market for new frame. I would really prefer a steel frame over an aluminum and the La Cruz looks like a fine choice, plus my LBS carries Salsa. Few questions-

* Does it come as frame only or just the frame w/fork?

* My Redline was a 58 and it fit great, would really like to replicate the fit. According to the Salsa sizing chart I should be on a 55, and the 57 does look a tad big as far as standover and a slightly longer TT(10mm). The 55 has a 5mm shorter TT than my Redline tho and I'm a little leary going with any shorter TT, I'm running a 110 stem on the Redline. Should I go 55 or 57? I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam BTW.

* One of the things I like about my cross bike is the lighter weight, I use it for light trail duty, gravel paths and dirt roads. It was running 23-24lbs(depending on tires) with a Redline carbon fork and it looks like I would add nearly 2 lbs to that with the La Cruz frameset, a 25-26lb cross bike sounds heavy. Will a 55-57 size frame weigh close to the 4.5lb claimed weight?

Thx!

edit: 1 more question , I'm running a 130mm XT disc rear wheel, can it be converted to a 135 or would I need a new rear wheel as well?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am nearly the same size as you, and I am running 56cm eff. TT with a 110mm stem on my road bike as figured with a sizing tool at my LBS, it feels wuite good. This is, I decided for the 55 eff TT on the La Cruz, now running wiht a 120mm stem. The seat angle on the LaCruz is about 1 less than most road bikes resulting in a shorter reach, This has to be taken into account. Maybe the 57 is better suited then with a shorter stem. But look at the HeadTube, so that you will be able to get enough seat to bar height difference.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Good point on the heat tube, the 57 has a long HT and would put the bars around a half inch higher even without any spacers, also, my current fork would not fit. Is this a frameset only or can I buy just the frame?

I'm thinking the 55 is right, the TT is slightly shorter than my Redline but a longer stem should work fine. I have a long torso/short inseam for my height so I like a longer TT.

The weight is not a big concern but just wanted to keep it reasonable, I could probably erase the weight gain with a nice set of wheels and smaller tires, running a 42/35 combo now with cheap wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

New La Cruz build

Just finished building my new La Cruz yesterday. Some A hole stole my road bike so I got $3000 to build a new bike and decided to build up a La Cruz. Took it for its first ride and it is great. Very smooth ride. I am 6foot and 200lbs. Got a 53cm frame and it fits perfect. Used FSA compact bars with a 120mm Thomson stem. Chris King Headset. WTB silverado seat with Thomson seat post. Took the Mavic Crossmax wheelset off my RIP 9. Run 105 except for the derailleurs, front is dura ace and rear which is xt, that will change very soon the xt will have to go. Have Hutchinson Cross tires on right now but will change to something else for commuting. Anybody have any recomendations. Have not put it on the scales yet will do next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice build! What are you looking for in a commute tire? I use Conti Top Contacts and love them. The Schwalbe Marathons are supposed to be awesome, too. Heavy tires, but worth it IMHO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Added an extra set of wheels. Velocity Deep V's to some Deore Hubs with DT Swiss Champions spokes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here's mine!

Built it to be a good all-around country neighborhood bomber. 42/11-34 gearing, Avid Juicy 5 brakes, SRAM X-7 shift/der, Bontrager wheels borrowed from my Soho 3.0, Ritchey bars/stem/post and Trutative crankset sourced from eBay, etc etc. It isn't as light as it could be, that's for sure, but the ride is suuuuuper! Waiting on cable guides to sort out that rear line routing.

Open to suggestions for a good lightweight wheelset that doesn't break the bank?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You could use a wtb wheel set. I used to use them, they are cheap and get the job done. You could also get a set built using xt hubs and salsa rims. I like your build it looks good with those handelbars.

Now with 3 more inches!
    Looks great ryball.

What is that rear rack you're using? Any idea on the load capacity?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast