mtbr member

Wink My dream bike finished.

Well there is a final touch or two to finish actually, but it's 98% done, and i have many hundreds of miles on it to dial it in over the last couple weeks.

56c Ti Warbird, custom build

My dream bike finished.-bike.jpg

Finally fleshing out my dream gravel race bike has been unbelievable, with tubeless 40c MSOs it rides incredible.

I threw a Gen 1 red kit i had laying around on it. I have a Ultegra DI2 not being used that i debated about, but after talking to Sean at Salsa i decided against it since the front derailleur creates tire clearance issues.

The cranks are pretty unique. With rides like Trans-Iowa on my schedule i wanted a smaller bail out ring up front, so i used some Rotor cranks that let me use s 30t/45t combo in the front, which is a great combo with the 11-28 in the back. I could have just used a standard 110bcd crank with a 34t/45t and a bigger cassette, but i wanted to keep the cogs tighter for cadence since i insist on spinning a faster cadence on long rides to stay fresher longer. One of the things i need to do is throw on a longer cage derailleur, and the other is find better rings with ramps/pins. I believe Sugino offers what i need for rings. In any event the system is working well for me as is, but i know it can be refined.

The wheelset is Iron Cross rims, Sapim Race spokes, and XT hubs, a great reasonably priced workhorse wheelset. I might lace up some Dt Swiss hubs for a 2nd wheelset in the fall, and have different tires mounted to each set, we will see. This set with the 120tpi MSOs tubeless rides fantastic. I've been riding with them set to 39psi, i weigh 180lbs.

3T Ergonovas in the cockpit keep my hands happy for any duration of time. I have the matching stealth 3t stem, so i just need to find someone with a stealth 27.2 seatpost to complete the package. QBP is out of the stealth 3T posts, so if you have one available LET ME KNOW! I really want to finish off that aesthetic loose end.

Yes, i intend to trim the steertube down to a 5mm on top, just wanted to get a quick thousand miles on it to make sure i liked where it was at.

I've been riding long gravel rides for years, have raced the Dirty Kanza, Trans-Iowa, and not till this last month have i finally got a really nice gravel bike for the many hours i invest on the rough stuff. I am elated, and i cringe when i think about how my old bike rode in comparison. So happy.

See you around, i'm going for a ride now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My dream bike finished.-stem.jpg  

mtbr member
    Another thing, i love how much room is in the front triangle for tangle bags and bottles. just look at how low that seat tube bottle is! I had some issues with my old bike and fitting everything in well, but this bike was really thought out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So sweet! thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It would be interesting to test ride both the aluminum and titanium Warbird. I'm sure there's a world of difference in ride quality. Steel is real, but aluminum can be harsh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Can you give me a few more details about eh cranks setup? I am keen to do something similar for my Dad's roadbike to help him get up the hills and maintain a specific HR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachtjager View Post
    Can you give me a few more details about eh cranks setup? I am keen to do something similar for my Dad's roadbike to help him get up the hills and maintain a specific HR
    The cranks have a 110 bolt circle diameter for the outer ring, and a 74 bcd for the inner ring. I am actually using the Rotor MTB cranks here on this bike, which has a 30mm spindle and a bb30. Sugino makes a crank called the OX801D with the same bcd combo that works with a threaded bottom bracket with a 24mm spindle. Both options are pricey, but are unique and have a benefit i appreciate.

I haven't seen any other double cranks with this 110/74 bcd combo, but i have seen a number of guys use mountain cranks with 28t/42t ring combos and the like. I wanted something in between road compact and mountain double. 45x11 is plenty fast for the endurance races i am doing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    It would be interesting to test ride both the aluminum and titanium Warbird. I'm sure there's a world of difference in ride quality. Steel is real, but aluminum can be harsh.
    There is a significant ride difference from aluminum to Ti, but the aluminum Warbird does ride much smoother then other aluminum, look at the chainstays and seatstays. It's got a similar flattened rear to the Chili Con Crosso, which was also smoother then a typical aluminum bike.

I have a mile of cobble stone road a block away i compare bikes on. Pretty nice having that right outside my door.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I want one SO bad, but after ti Fargo and ti Colossal, even I can't justify it...

Awesome bike man....