TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

My Dos. A lover spurned - because of a Fish

Writing about bikes is like dancing about architecture. Get serious now.

But...

But the Dos. She shared the stable with a couple of Surly singlespeeds, a MotoLite, and a Lemond CX.

She was queen. She was the alpha. Despite all her gears, she only had one speed. Fast.

She was a Stingray on a four day drive. She kept my hand out of my pockets. She turned on my lovelight.

But now there's new filly in the shed. The Fish.

Everything changes. The Titus was auctioned off. The Surlys stay in the pasture because of "family issues". That, and they have a lot of dents. The Poprad stays around because of the novelty.

But the Fish. Oh yes. The Fish.

So now I'm thinking about selling the Dos. How cruel, unholy, inhuman, and in poor taste is that?

Somebody get me some Tylenol.

My Dos. A lover spurned - because of a Fish-dos01.jpg
    My Dos. A lover spurned - because of a Fish-spear.jpg
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 05-23-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

two wheel whore
    So how do they stack up against each other?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank View Post
    But the Dos. She shared the stable with a couple of Surly singlespeeds, a MotoLite, and a Lemond CX.

But now there's new filly in the shed. The Fish.

Everything changes.

But the Fish. Oh yes. The Fish.

So now I'm thinking about selling the Dos. How cruel, unholy, inhuman, and in poor taste is that?

Somebody get me some Tylenol.
    Unless you have an interested party who is aware of the longevity of a Scandium XC frame who is willing to take the risk of a purchase, it's probably easier just to keep it for a 2nd XC bike than sell it. Frame life is not really a guarantee after 4 seasons (the 5th, or getting part of a 5th season - is always gravy for a Dos owner).

I keep my Dos Niner and use it on really tough climbing courses where I will be out of the saddle hammering and grunting up the steep stuff. I also love it for a gravel grinder bike here in Iowa. Just enough cushion in the rear to help absorb the various types of gravel conditions I find myself in every week.

Congrats on your new Spearfish!!!

BB
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Considering some of the drops I take via the launch and try to land without a nose wheelie method on my Dos... I'll be surprised if I make it to the 4th season though it hasn't been ridden since last fall since I transferred the wheelset from it to build up my spearfish. I have the parts for the new Dos wheels... i've just been procrastinating building them.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    I've had two Dos Niners....a verde green one and a beautiful orange one.....broke both of them. I really liked them both, they made me a better rider than I probably was. They just felt right. I have a spearfish frame (orange) now that's not been built up yet. I've been riding a sette razzo and I really enjoy the racey feel but I'm really wanting to build that spearfish. I sure hope if I do, the spearfish will be as good as the ole Dos Niner. weep weep

mtbr member
    I've had the fortune of owning a crapton of bikes over the years, but nothing comes close to the feeling I get when I jump on my dos... It's hands down my favorite bike in the stable and my go-to if I'm trying to ride out of my fitness level with others. I find myself thinking about how I'm going to replace it when it does break (as we all know, it will someday), and I get a little sad.

The comments about the bike making me a better rider than I actually am are spot on. Riding friends comment about it even, so it's not placebo. All I know is that I'd pay good $$ for a new old stock Dos Niner for when I have to retire my current one. It just feels 'right'- fast, agile, supple enough, efficient... Man do I freaking love that thing.