Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Me and Salsa might be done!

I have a 2011 Vaya. I have a 2009 SS Casseroll. I have a 2012 Mukluk.
    I had a 2009/2010 Casseroll built with gears. I sold it to buy the Vaya.
    I like Salsa bikes.

I am in the process of buying an El Mar. Even have a deposit down and picking it up Saturday MAYBE.

I see a great deal online for a titanium El Mar. Literally just a few hundred bucks more than the bike I have a deposit on.
    Shop can't ship as per agreement with Salsa. Can't get Salsa on the horn.
    What the ****?

I might sell all bikes and start fresh with a company that wants to do business with me.
    I can't think of another company that I want to buy.
    ****!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The shop can find a way to make this work that doesn't involve "them" "shipping" the bike to you. Do you know anyone in the area of the bike shop? You could probably find someone on this message board.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That's what they told me. The shop is in Oregon and I'm in Maryland.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Most of the big brands don't allow that kind of sale either and they don't sell direct.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Most of the big brands don't allow that kind of sale either and they don't sell direct.
    Pretty typical dealer agreement type stuff. You can find a way around this if you REALLY want that bike.

If you want to go with another brand that has less restrictions, typically you either wind up with cheap mass market stuff, or with companies a good bit smaller (and possibly more expensive) than Salsa.

I like Salsa - I own two (a 2014 Vaya and a 2015 Bucksaw). But there's nuttin wrong with other brands. My next bike will probably be a small custom builder, FWIW.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    What shop is it? I'm in Oregon and would be happy to help you out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It's Universal Cycles in Portland. I can't think of a way my wife would let me send a stranger $2000 in the hopes that it's legit. How could we work this out if you could help?
    Thanks

DFMBA.org

I purchased a specialized off eBay that was brand new and shipped by the shop owners private eBay account. The bike was being sold as 'used' but it clearly wasn't used at all. I traced the shop from a dealer sticker on the bike to the same address the bike shipped from. There's ways around stuff like this. I know my story doesn't directly help you but I hope you get it, nonetheless.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Remember too, you are also causing a little havoc for your bike shop. It seems like you have a good relationship with them if you have been buying all your Salsa bikes there. I don't know if they ordered your new bike or had it already in stock but generally if its a special order and you are cancelling when you are going to pick it up in 2 days is rough on a shop. Especially if you have had a good running relationship with them. I hope you get the bike you want in the end! BTW you can't order Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc online or over the phone either. Local pick up is required on those too. It's not just Salsa.

Tigers love pepper...
    Knew this was gonna be Universal Cycle's before I even got to the end of his post..... That's the rules. Thankfully I know a few people around Portland if I ever run into this issue!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It's not a special order. It's a 2014 leftover. It's four hours away.
    This should be much easier.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by philoanna View Post
    It's not a special order. It's a 2014 leftover. It's four hours away.
    This should be much easier.
    Only four hours? And you won't drive to pick it up? I drove over 3 one way just to DEMO a Bucksaw last fall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The one I have a deposit on , not the titanium. It's on the west coast. i'm in MD. I think I am giving up and picking up the one I have the deposit on.

mtbr member
    It's not even Salsa that came up with this policy. Quality Bike Products did this with all of their brands starting with their 2014 models. You can't get a Surly or All City or Foundry bike shipped.

I'm in Connecticut and was able to order my 2013 Colossal from a shop in Michigan. They had 2014 models but couldn't ship them. The is the same policy that Giant, Specialized, Trek, Cannondale and most others have. They want to protect their dealers from the internet shops. I get it but what bugs me is that Salsa doesn't have the dealer network those other guys have. If you have an issue with the 1 Salsa shop in the area it's a difficult to find another reasonably close. If I don't like the local Specialized dealer there's 10 others I can go to
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    May 2010

Simplest solution would be to find someone local to facilitate the purchase; give the Portland shop a cc over the phone and have someone pick it up and ship it. I see this happen and work regularly on another forum I frequent.
    I guess the bbig issue would be the obvious... Finding someone you could trust to do it for you.
    But, if you really want the bike......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

banned
    Jun 2007
    Went through this last month, almost bought another Kona, and told Salsa to kiss my sweaty (( o )).

Bike that I wanted was not in stock @ QBP, and the closest local dealer is 1+ hours away without traffic.
    For these reasons I was able to get the bike shipped. If your LBS is a fuucktard what law says you must buy from them?
    Protected territories, are worthless, and the USA's extra layer of distribution are biting them in the butt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Update
    I apologize for my inappropriate language in my original post. Thank you for censoring.
    I drove all day yesterday (four+ hours each way) to pick up my 2014 El Mar. I love it. Case closed.
    Still no response from Salsa. I get protecting the small business owner. I really do. But in some cases the costumer should be looked after also. Plus, in the end, I was going to spend more money for the bike that could not be shipped, so the industry was going to get more money.
    Anyway, picked my wife up a nice deal on a Cannondale while there, so it really made the hassle worthwhile.

since 4/10/2009
    The US distribution model/protected territories thing is a royal pain, I'll agree.

Just spent the day hanging out at NAHBS. Yeah, my next bike is coming from a custom builder. Talked to a bunch of the guys who do the welding and design and loved seeing the innovation those guys do out of their garages and basements.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by philoanna View Post
    How could we work this out if you could help?
    Thanks
    I know you already picked up your bike, but safe long-distance transactions can easily be accomplished by using Paypal. Idea is the same as buying from the classifieds here.

mtbr member
    I had a similar problem. 6 months ago while looking for a 2015 El Mar SS the closest shop was 5 hours away. I called Salsa and explained my situation. A QBP rep was there at the time of my call. I actually heard the guy say he could send one to my local shop as a one time deal.

At the end of the call it was understood he would call the local shop to get things going. I was very happy to say the least. So a couple weeks go by. My shop calls and leaves messages directly to the guy at QBP. No reply. So I call and leave a message and he finally contacts the shop. I'm being patient, but think WTF push some keys and get the bike here.

Fast forward 5 months. QBP guy is like "I'll send the bike when the shop is a QBP dealer." Surely this should take only a couple weeks I thought. Drop my the local shop and they say it's been a PITA getting vetted for QBP. He wanted to be a QBP dealer at the beginning of this fiasco.

So now it has been 6 months with crickets from QBP. I'm looking at my bike on the Salsa website and decide to look at the dealer finder. WTH, there is a Salsa dealer an hour away that wasn't there when I looked before and they can get my bike in a couple days! I call Salsa and tell them the whole deal, they say we will get back to me. Yeah, right.

I literally hang up the phone and get in my car and I get a call. I'm excited because I thought it would be weeks. The gentleman on the phone was the same and he says he talked to QBP and they say the only way for me to get the bike is if the local shop becomes a Salsa dealer. This is not what I was led to believe and let him know this without yelling, barely. Salsa man is very apologetic, but has hands tied.

Go to my local shop and tell him I have to get the bike elsewhere. He understands then tells me he won't be using QBP because of all the BS he got on his end.

Good news is I have the bike and love it! I have no ill will towards Salsa. Each time I called it was professional and I could tell they care for their customers.

So, in summation, QBP can GFThemselves>

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I find most of this understandable and some of it odd. QBP is huge, you can literally throw a rock and hit a dealer. I get why they moved away from the online model. But if the rep says they will work with you and then crickets? SS EL Mar is a tough to come by model. I believe they sell through that one rather quickly. My guess is the allocation goes to the shops that are dealers and the rep pulling one would be difficult. It would be like trying to get a Bucksaw

mtbr member
    CHSAD you can understand why I was pissed. I waited 6 months, this guy could have easily called me or my local shop and explained the situation. If I hadn't been looking at "my" bike on the website and found the other dealer I probably wouldn't have it. I know it is a limited model. The shop I purchased the bike from had to order it from Pennsylvania warehouse, they had no El Mars in stock SS or otherwise. The shop even said there were only a couple size large in stock at the warehouse.

GFY>QBP

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can understand actually, but I would have never let that much time go by, you are more patient then I am. i would have found an lbs with the rig I want or choose another rig. In the end it is supposed to be a stress reducer not stress creator and staying mad, flaming people or companies might seem like the right thing to do but it most likely isn't . I bet you can find a bunch of people who had great qbp/salsa experiences. That's not minimizing your frustration, just looking at it from another perspective.

mtbr member
    My thoughts exactly. I was being patient because I wanted to support my local shop and was told it would happen. Only reason I shared my story was so the OP would know it isn't Salsa's fault. I'm sure there are millions who have had a good experience, just not me. I have to admit I wasn't mad when first writing my reply, but half way through it crept up on me. I actually drove 5 hours to Atlanta to see a friend, could have bought it then. I even called an Atlanta Salsa dealer in the beginning where I learned about the no ship policy. This led to me calling to try and buy local. I don't think I flamed anyone, just sharing an experience. I didn't get stressed, I have the bike and I'm happy. Me and Salsa might be done!-salsa1.jpg
    Last edited by pebbles; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:30 AM.

Air Pirate
    The experiences that are being posted in this thread don't make me feel too good. In the next month or so I am going to pull the trigger on the purchase of a Salsa Fargo...hopefully....and I am already coming into problems in doing this.

I looked at the dealer locator on the Salsa website and discovered there is a dealer within a mile from my place of employment. I stop in at that shop on my way home Friday and discover this dealer only stocks bikes from another brand and does not have a single Salsa product. I was told they could order me something, but do not carry anything from Salsa regularly. They took my contact info "just in case" something from Salsa came in....

I don't know why these guys are listed as an actual Salsa dealer if they stock NO product...that makes them no different than the thousands of other shops across the nation that can order anything from QBP...heck, a shop who isn't a Salsa dealer told me they could order one for me as long as I purchased it up front (since they would have trouble selling it on their sales floor) as they are a QBP dealer.

There are two other shops in the greater Sacramento region who are supposed to be a Salsa dealer...I have yet to call them to confirm they have any actual Salsa bicycles on their sales floor before I drive the 30 to 50 miles out of my way to go there. If they don't pan out, I have to go to the San Francisco Bay Area to locate a shop with Salsa bikes in stock, around a two hour minimum trip one-way.

I know Salsa is a little bit more of a niche brand compared to the brands I usually see in shops these days, but seriously? QBP limiting sales to only brick-and-mortar shops has to be hurting the growth of their brands. I know I only have to drive a couple of hours to San Francisco to obtain one of their brands, but what about the people who have to drive more than that? I am sure there are a lot of people in areas not served by the few "official" Salsa/Surly/All City/Civia/Foundry "dealers" who would love to have those brands as options who will completely miss out due to their unfortunate geographical location.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast