mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Maxle swing plates el mariachi

I'm curious how many people are using the maxle swing plates on an el mar. I'm buying a hardtail this spring seriously thinking El Mar. I realize the El Mar is proven, but it just seems like the maxle swing plate would void the point of the thru-axle. Is there any flex in that setup? With all do respect wanted to hear from owners with the maxle swing plate or those that have ridden this setup. thoughts? thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've got an El Mar with QR swing plates, and I sure don't notice any lack of stiffness back there.
    Call me old school, but thru-axles on the rear of hardtails seem a little bit pointless... It's not like you're going to make a rigid rear end much less flexy, it's rigid already!

mtbr member
    I'm planning on doing the change over to thru axle plates too. I feel like the swing plate drop outs are decently stiff but I feel like the maxle change over will add to the wheel and frame stiffness without a huge investment (assuming your rear hub can be converted easily as well).
    -VeloRyan-

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm looking at doing a new set of wheels, but 160$ for these plates?!?!?!?!?!

What gives?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    They come with the Maxle, which by itself would be probably $50-80 (based on Google). A lot of other frames that have optional 142x12 dropouts don't come with the axle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    the 135 plates are like 20$ a piece so plus your 65$ still isn't 160!

Not saying I won't pay that, but i'll hurt for a while.

universal cycles has one side (right) of the maxle swing plate for 30$ but is out of stock. and the pair for 160$ also out of stock

mtbr member
    In stock now. Use code vip10 for 10% off.

mtbr member
    They are all out of stock. Have been for a long time as they were discontinued while Salsa was working with a new manufacturer to put a new version out. According to Salsa, these were to be available to order from "your local Salsa dealer" at the end of the month. That was April and I still can't find them anywhere. For what it's worth, after a few years of riding this bike the set screws on both sides no longer hold (due to torque I'm sure) and one side the screw that holds the brake mech to the dropout is stripped causing the brake mech to move under braking conditions. I was looking for these to kill two birds with one stone. It is starting to look like I'll be stuck just replacing the original QR dropouts or risk riding a whole season with a flexy brake mech.