Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Maxle.......

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  fixgeardan 
#1 ·
Have an 2013 Horsethief. Has anyone else had problems with the Maxle coming loose to the point of almost falling out?

#2 ·
I have a 2012 Spearfish 1 with the Maxle.

I've also had problems with the Maxle backing out. It was barely in at one point when I caught it, so now I have the habit of not only checking it before each ride, but also looking back during rides to confirm the position of the collar.

Don't have a fix for you*, but will advise that you also check the small screw that holds the derailleur hanger to the rear dropout. Assuming it is the same design, I found that this could also back out when the Maxle was loose. Early warning sign was subtle problems with shifting. They clear up when both are re-tightened. Seems things could get bad if that screw backs too far out and then the Maxle is cranked down...

Thanks for starting the thread,
Paul

* Unfortunately, my only fix so far has been to crank it ~1/4 turn past the spec for tightening. This has been effective for me, but seems like a hack.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely check the connecting screw on the rear dropout now.

Yesterday mine was pretty much completely out as well but luckily checked it right before a downhill run. Wrote an email to Salsa also to see if they had any input.

I definitely don't need that to snap while during a ride or lose it altogether. This just makes another part I may need a spare.

#4 ·
I found mine coming loose also, had plenty of experience with Fox through axle, but not the RS Maxle light. Looked up the instructions and unique to Maxle you shouldn't just use the lever to tighten it. After hand tightening you are supposed to use a 6mm hex to tighten from the drive side (reverse thread b/c of opposite direction) before clamping the lever down.

If that doesn't make sense if suggest looking up the official RS installation for Maxle.

Since doing the above its stayed very tight. I don't think the other TA systems (syntace, Shimano, dtswiss) need this step.

#13 ·
+1 on this problem with my 2012 'Thief. If I tighten the hell out of it, it usually holds well for 2-3 rides, although I still check it every time after a couple of scares. +1 also to the poster who mentioned the creak issue, which gets really bad after a few water crossings. Regular greasing helps this a lot.

#16 ·
@fixedgeardan:

> Im really having a hard time figuring out how the maxle can come loose and back out. Mine never has but I don't see how it could. Just thinking about it.

It literally backs out/unscrews. Hard to believe, but watching the collar position (the gap on the non-drive side, not the QR part) when it is slightly loose, it will continue to move.

Crackpot speculation: Wheel is turning in the same direction as Maxle backing out. As soon as it is a little loose, seems like everything is working to unscrew it. May explain why overtorqueing and lots of grease can mitigate. Maybe it should have been a left hand thread if no set screw or similar locking mechanism was provided?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.