Merendon Junkie

Mariachi gearing help needed.

Hello Everyone,

I finally received my salsa el mariachi 3 this week. I am really liking this bike, the looks, the feel, its uniqueness, etc. I am very happy with all of its components, but I have one small issue. I find the gearing somewhat tall for the conditions I ride in. I live in a valley and when we go out riding we will almost certainly be doing some pretty good climbs. Today I took the Mariachi in one of the toughest climbs we normally do. Its a 7 kilometer climb with 1200 meters of elevation gain, some parts of the climb have a 20% gradient. I was able to make the climb and I felt surprisingly fresh at the end but I felt like I was mashing instead of spinning on many parts of the ride. I also felt like my knees were not liking it too much. I think a 22 or 24 small chainring would perfect for my riding conditions instead of the 27 toothed chainring it comes with. Can anyone recommend a solution. Can I swap just the small ring or the whole crank set? What ring or crank set would you recommend that's on par with the stock one quality wise and that wont break the bank (<$150).

BTW, when I got home after the ride, I didnt want to get off the bike. I just wanted to keep on riding. The bike is awesome. I really like it. With a 24 or 22 tooth granny, it will as close to cycling perfection as anything can get, in my books.

Saludos!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So - do you have 39/27 chainrings? Unless you have powerful legs, 27 teeth does seem a bit tall for the long steep climb you describe. I have the standard XT 10-speed Triple (42/32/24) on mine and I'm finding it perfect and it seems hard-wearing too. I custom built my El-Mar, and I spent some time Hmmmming and Haaaahing about whether to go for the fashionable double setup and what chainrings to have. In the end I decided it was sensible to go with familiar triple and keep the big range of gears. Fitting a 24-tooth inner ring will give a big drop from a 39 tooth outer, and if you downsize your outer, you incur more expense and loose your taller gears. I reckon that installing a triple is your best solution. The SLX is a good low cost solution.

Merendon Junkie
    Thanks for the tips Tea, the about going to a triple is that I will also have to change one of my shifters, and very likely my rear derailleur. If I dont find another option with 2 chainrings I will very likely go the route you mention. I have searched online and found some stuff but I am not sure if the will fit my bike.

Will this fit?: Shimano SLX Crankset 10-speed FC-M675 38/24 175mm

This one seems just perfect.

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea@Dimbola View Post
    So - do you have 39/27 chainrings? Unless you have powerful legs, 27 teeth does seem a bit tall for the long steep climb you describe. I have the standard XT 10-speed Triple (42/32/24) on mine and I'm finding it perfect and it seems hard-wearing too. I custom built my El-Mar, and I spent some time Hmmmming and Haaaahing about whether to go for the fashionable double setup and what chainrings to have. In the end I decided it was sensible to go with familiar triple and keep the big range of gears. Fitting a 24-tooth inner ring will give a big drop from a 39 tooth outer, and if you downsize your outer, you incur more expense and loose your taller gears. I reckon that installing a triple is your best solution. The SLX is a good low cost solution.
    I really hemmed and hawed a few weeks ago about grabbing a '12 3 right away and saving a couple hundred bucks or waiting for the '13. In the end I decided to wait. My current MTB has a triple and even though I like a compact double on my road and CX bikes, I think I will really appreciate the triple on the '13 El Mar 3 (I hope it's here any day now). A couple places we like to ride have some long and reasonably steep climbs where I need all the granny gear I can get.

I also rode around a parking lot on a friend's SLX-equipped bike and really like the feel of her trigger shifters over the SRAM triggers on my current ride.
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yes I think that SLX double would work fine, but that's quite a drop from 38 to 24 teeth. Maybe we can have some input from the other guys on this, but I'm guessing it will work with your existing SRAM front shifter as your SRAM crankset is also a double. Don't rely on me for this though - make sure you verify it. I still think a triple is the better solution though. I've found both XT and SLX triples and shifters to be very slick and reliable. I was a bit of a cheapskate with my Turner and have and entire SLX 9-speed setup on it (ok I do have XT shifters) and it works flawlessly. The new 10-speed XT setup on my El-Mar ti is even slicker. As you say the triple solution will require new front mech and L/H shifter.
    PS. Great Minds Zoomy! :-)
    Last edited by Tea@Dimbola; 10-04-2012 at 12:49 PM.

rth009
    May 2010
    If you post the question in the drivetrain forum, stating the exact model numbers of the new and old crankset, along with the shifter and front derailleur model numbers, you will get an answer in no time.