Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

The Mamasita thread

I know their is alot of different Salsa threads on here, but no just Mamasita coverage. Its a great, fast, agile bike. Lets see some pics. Your thoughts on it. Pros/Cons. Since its a racebike, maybe some (gasp) weights. Even if you have posted it somewhere here in the past, throw it on for all the Mamasita owners to enjoy. With the new version just hitting shelfs, lets see some of them too for the older generation to enjoy.

SALSAFIED endurance racer
    Toms Salsa Mamamsita 2011

Salsa Mamasita Frame (M) 18"
    Rock Shox Reba SL
    Mavix C29ssmax
    Specialized Fast Trak LK (Tubeless)
    Sram X.0 crank 2-fach (26-39)
    Shimano XT cassette 11-32
    Shimano XT chain (9-fach)
    Sram X.9 rear derailleur
    Sram X.0 Shifter
    Sram X.0 Elixir Disc Brake
    KCNC seatpost 27,2/400
    Selle Italia Kit Carbonio
    KCNC Stem OS 100mm
    Bontrager bar (OS) 640mm

weight 10,4 kg

He said it's very stiff and fast compared to the former salsa models (dos or selma)

Last edited by realbiker; 10-29-2011 at 08:51 AM.
    It's got to be AUSTRIA !!!

It's a real stiff race weapon - ready to be pushed ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    sweet looking rig. is your reba a tapered fork or is it the standard? Can you notice the difference in the BB30 compared to a threaded BB style?

reba is a standart fork - the bb30 bb is stiffer than the gxp we rode before!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Now I don't want to put any pics of mine up here. That is a nice bike!

mtbr member
    Found a NOS frame and built it up a month or two ago. I like it a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    where did you find an old mamsita frame like that?

mtbr member
    I bought it from here

Belgen Cycles / Village Bike Repair, Richmond VT: mountain bikes, road bikes, cross bikes by BMC, Salsa, Parlee, Blue

I had to email for the price, and I usually pass place up that you have to do that with. But I was very pleased with the prices I received and would order from them again in a heart beat.

mtbr member

my mama!

Here's my mamasita after a few seasons of fast fun! Hopefully my next post will be a side by side with the new even prettier one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Mamasita thread-pb190313.jpg  

mtbr member
    How does the old one compare to the new one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Here are a few pic's
    Affter the Iowa race.

At The Salsa 2-4

and how she looks now.

I have had two good years with this bike but now I'm thinking about selling it.
    Frame (L) Avid Elixir 5 Brakes Sram xo shifting bike is 19 lbs with the carbon fork and about 23 with the Rock shock Reba Race. I love this bike but I'm 50 something now and I'm going to get a FS bike.
    Last edited by idinomac; 11-21-2011 at 01:50 PM.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I have just gotten a new (2012) mamasita. I am just getting back into mountain biking after a long hiatus. I have to tell you, I broke myself in on my rockhopper before getting this bike. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Ultra rigid and precise, I love it! It has even inspired me to pursue finding a sport level race to set new training goals. Any info you guys have on improvements would be welcome. I like the complete setup so far buult I only have a couple hundred miles on it so far. I certainly prefer the hardtail riding for my area, mostly hilly forest trails. My bike seems to be about 25# in stock form. Where do you think the biggest bang for my buck would be. Its already about 5# less than my 26 rockhopper, so I am already enjoying that.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I have just gotten a new (2012) mamasita. I am just getting back into mountain biking after a long hiatus. I have to tell you, I broke myself in on my rockhopper before getting this bike. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Ultra rigid and precise, I love it! It has even inspired me to pursue finding a sport level race to set new training goals. Any info you guys have on improvements would be welcome. I like the complete setup so far buult I only have a couple hundred miles on it so far. I certainly prefer the hardtail riding for my area, mostly hilly forest trails. My bike seems to be about 25# in stock form. Where do you think the biggest bang for my buck would be. Its already about 5# less than my 26 rockhopper, so I am already enjoying that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve NMI View Post
    Cool, glad you like it. Depending on were you want to dump the money into, you can shed some weight a few places. You can look for a lighter cockpit (Saddle, seatpost, stem, and bars) and that will probably a quarter-half a pound. I would get a KCNC or Thompson seatpost. Also, you can upgrade to a higher end 11-32 cassette. This will shave some weight too. You can convert it to a 1 X 10 and loose the front der (to replace with a chain keeper) and left shifter, thus shaving weight. If you are still running tubes, going tubless will cut down the weight and increase ride quality. The bike comes with the rims for it, so I would start here for sure. The stans rims work really well for going tubeless.

I too have the same frame that I build up as a 1x9. It is a awsome bike. Fast, and very stable. Mine can use some upgrades too. Mine sits a 25.5 lbs. For now, it is doing what I needed to do, so I will leave her alone. Seriously though, go tubless if you have not already. It makes a difference IMO. If you are tubeless, save your money and just ride the crap out of it. 25lbs is not bad for a fully geared 9er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Mamasita SS build

I just finished my Mamasita singlespeed conversion. I didn't end up being able to run the gearing I wanted (32x18), so I am trying 32x17 which worked out to be a magic gear. It's a tough gear combo and I will probably end up trying 19 or 20.

Easton Haven carbon bar
    Easton Haven stem
    CK headset
    Fox RL 80mm fork
    SLX brakes
    XT crank 32t + bash
    Stans Arch wheelset (Ardent 2.4/Ignitor 2.1)
    Thomson Elite seatpost

I haven't weighed it yet, but before I did the SS conversion it was 25lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Mamasita thread-mama1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

new mama owner and chainsuck

Just purchased a 2012 mama with a stock build.I have 2 rides in and both rides had chainsuck issues when upshifting the front derailler.The ride today ruined the chain and put a nice gouge in my shiny new frame.
    I Googled Mamasita chainsuck and found it is very common for this frame,but did not see a known cause or fix other than someone saying "it's a bad frame design"
    Excuse me if this has been covered here many times b4 ,but can any of you Salsa Mama experts tell me what I'm doing wrong ? or what I can do,if anything, to fix it.I don't think it's me...my 2008 Turner doesn't have a problem with this,so I don't think it's me doing something wrong.Other than the chainsuck,I love this bike so far !
    Any advice or help greatly appreciated !

mtbr member

chainsuck

73Cuda, I am no "expert" but I might offer some help. I also just got this bike a few weeks ago and have run into this problem a few times, not as badly as you. At first I thought I played with the shifter adjustment and made it a little better but with the 2x10 you can get out of whack pretty quick. What I have discovered is that the shifter doesn't act that quickly on the upshift. I found that if you bury the ratcheting(upshift) shifter you avoid this problem. If you are gentle with it, it will only travel halfway and will set the chain in between the chainrings. Also you can't be applying much power when you are attempting this either. Hopefully this helps you it has eliminated the problem for me so far. I am not familiar enough with other shifter/derailer combos to know if it could be solved there. For the stock setup I think this is the trick. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve NMI View Post
    73Cuda, I am no "expert" but I might offer some help. I also just got this bike a few weeks ago and have run into this problem a few times, not as badly as you. At first I thought I played with the shifter adjustment and made it a little better but with the 2x10 you can get out of whack pretty quick. What I have discovered is that the shifter doesn't act that quickly on the upshift. I found that if you bury the ratcheting(upshift) shifter you avoid this problem. If you are gentle with it, it will only travel halfway and will set the chain in between the chainrings. Also you can't be applying much power when you are attempting this either. Hopefully this helps you it has eliminated the problem for me so far. I am not familiar enough with other shifter/derailer combos to know if it could be solved there. For the stock setup I think this is the trick. Good Luck!
    thanks for the response,i know what you mean about the front derail. shifting,...you have to be decisive on your upshift.Headed to my LBS tomorrow morning for a new chain,maybe they have a fix.thanks again

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

chainsuck

You da man ! Excellent !!,exactly what i was looking for.Thank You !!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Question for you Mamasita riders. I am currently in the market for a used Mamasita. I am 5'7" and am thinking a SM is probably the appropriate size. Does this sound about right? Any insight is appreciated.

mtbr member

Size

Quote Originally Posted by MNiskanen View Post
    Question for you Mamasita riders. I am currently in the market for a used Mamasita. I am 5'7" and am thinking a SM is probably the appropriate size. Does this sound about right? Any insight is appreciated.
    It is a tough call because I have a buddy that is about 5'7" and he can ride a medium in a GT Zasker 9er frame. My wife is 5'1" and rides a small 16" El Mar frame. If I were you and I was ordering online I would go with a small. Or better yet, find some 9ers with some compariable geos and test ride them at your local shops. I think you would be okay with a small. You can always throw a set back seat post and a longer stem to get the fit right. But, this can also throw off the geo of the frame. Like I said, tough call. Also, you can run a bike fit calculator with your measurements to see what bike you would fit into. CompetitiveCyclist.com has a pretty good fit calc. I did a lot of bike fit research before I purchased my wife's El Mar frame. It fits her pretty well. She too wants a Mamasita frame, but if we do pick one up, I would go with a XS vs. S. I say she is on the smaller end of the small El Mar frame. IMO, I would rather be on the bigger end of the frame size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc_n_tucson View Post
    It is a tough call because I have a buddy that is about 5'7" and he can ride a medium in a GT Zasker 9er frame. My wife is 5'1" and rides a small 16" El Mar frame. If I were you and I was ordering online I would go with a small. Or better yet, find some 9ers with some compariable geos and test ride them at your local shops. I think you would be okay with a small. You can always throw a set back seat post and a longer stem to get the fit right. But, this can also throw off the geo of the frame. Like I said, tough call. Also, you can run a bike fit calculator with your measurements to see what bike you would fit into. CompetitiveCyclist.com has a pretty good fit calc. I did a lot of bike fit research before I purchased my wife's El Mar frame. It fits her pretty well. She too wants a Mamasita frame, but if we do pick one up, I would go with a XS vs. S. I say she is on the smaller end of the small El Mar frame. IMO, I would rather be on the bigger end of the frame size.
    Thanks, mjc_n_tuscon! Historically, I've always gone with frames that are a bit small, and then adjusted setback, stem length, etc.. But I've always ridden 26" mtb and this will be my first jump to a 29er. Really tossing around a Mamasita or an El Mariachi (really love steel). Buuuutttt, since I'll likely be ordering online, I would like to dial in fit. Thanks for the tip on Comp Cyclist. I've used their fit calculator before, and totally forgot about that option. How does your wife like the El Mar?

mtbr member
    @MNishanen-
    Same here. I can ride a large frame, but I go with the M. I run a 110mm stem on all my 29ers. My road bikes are large however. Anyhow, yeah, I want an El Mar too. My wife loves hers. She had and alum 26er before this bike, and according to her, the ride quality is so much better. She is faster on the 9er too. She said the steel frame absorbs the trail really well. My Mama is a nice riding bike too. I have never owned a steel MTB, so I am curious on how they ride. The reason I got my wife the El Mar is, I found a new frame for $399 online. Heck, I found my mama frame for about $400 too. I am sure you will be happy with either frameset.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast