mtbr member
    Sep 2008

The Mamasita thread

I know their is alot of different Salsa threads on here, but no just Mamasita coverage. Its a great, fast, agile bike. Lets see some pics. Your thoughts on it. Pros/Cons. Since its a racebike, maybe some (gasp) weights. Even if you have posted it somewhere here in the past, throw it on for all the Mamasita owners to enjoy. With the new version just hitting shelfs, lets see some of them too for the older generation to enjoy.

SALSAFIED endurance racer
    Toms Salsa Mamamsita 2011

Salsa Mamasita Frame (M) 18"
    Rock Shox Reba SL
    Mavix C29ssmax
    Specialized Fast Trak LK (Tubeless)
    Sram X.0 crank 2-fach (26-39)
    Shimano XT cassette 11-32
    Shimano XT chain (9-fach)
    Sram X.9 rear derailleur
    Sram X.0 Shifter
    Sram X.0 Elixir Disc Brake
    KCNC seatpost 27,2/400
    Selle Italia Kit Carbonio
    KCNC Stem OS 100mm
    Bontrager bar (OS) 640mm

weight 10,4 kg

He said it's very stiff and fast compared to the former salsa models (dos or selma)

Last edited by realbiker; 10-29-2011 at 07:51 AM.
    It's got to be AUSTRIA !!!

It's a real stiff race weapon - ready to be pushed ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    sweet looking rig. is your reba a tapered fork or is it the standard? Can you notice the difference in the BB30 compared to a threaded BB style?

reba is a standart fork - the bb30 bb is stiffer than the gxp we rode before!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Now I don't want to put any pics of mine up here. That is a nice bike!

mtbr member
    Found a NOS frame and built it up a month or two ago. I like it a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    where did you find an old mamsita frame like that?

mtbr member
    I bought it from here

Belgen Cycles / Village Bike Repair, Richmond VT: mountain bikes, road bikes, cross bikes by BMC, Salsa, Parlee, Blue

I had to email for the price, and I usually pass place up that you have to do that with. But I was very pleased with the prices I received and would order from them again in a heart beat.

mtbr member

my mama!

Here's my mamasita after a few seasons of fast fun! Hopefully my next post will be a side by side with the new even prettier one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Mamasita thread-pb190313.jpg  

mtbr member
    How does the old one compare to the new one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Here are a few pic's
    Affter the Iowa race.

At The Salsa 2-4

and how she looks now.

I have had two good years with this bike but now I'm thinking about selling it.
    Frame (L) Avid Elixir 5 Brakes Sram xo shifting bike is 19 lbs with the carbon fork and about 23 with the Rock shock Reba Race. I love this bike but I'm 50 something now and I'm going to get a FS bike.
    Last edited by idinomac; 11-21-2011 at 12:50 PM.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I have just gotten a new (2012) mamasita. I am just getting back into mountain biking after a long hiatus. I have to tell you, I broke myself in on my rockhopper before getting this bike. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Ultra rigid and precise, I love it! It has even inspired me to pursue finding a sport level race to set new training goals. Any info you guys have on improvements would be welcome. I like the complete setup so far buult I only have a couple hundred miles on it so far. I certainly prefer the hardtail riding for my area, mostly hilly forest trails. My bike seems to be about 25# in stock form. Where do you think the biggest bang for my buck would be. Its already about 5# less than my 26 rockhopper, so I am already enjoying that.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I have just gotten a new (2012) mamasita. I am just getting back into mountain biking after a long hiatus. I have to tell you, I broke myself in on my rockhopper before getting this bike. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Ultra rigid and precise, I love it! It has even inspired me to pursue finding a sport level race to set new training goals. Any info you guys have on improvements would be welcome. I like the complete setup so far buult I only have a couple hundred miles on it so far. I certainly prefer the hardtail riding for my area, mostly hilly forest trails. My bike seems to be about 25# in stock form. Where do you think the biggest bang for my buck would be. Its already about 5# less than my 26 rockhopper, so I am already enjoying that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve NMI View Post
    Cool, glad you like it. Depending on were you want to dump the money into, you can shed some weight a few places. You can look for a lighter cockpit (Saddle, seatpost, stem, and bars) and that will probably a quarter-half a pound. I would get a KCNC or Thompson seatpost. Also, you can upgrade to a higher end 11-32 cassette. This will shave some weight too. You can convert it to a 1 X 10 and loose the front der (to replace with a chain keeper) and left shifter, thus shaving weight. If you are still running tubes, going tubless will cut down the weight and increase ride quality. The bike comes with the rims for it, so I would start here for sure. The stans rims work really well for going tubeless.

I too have the same frame that I build up as a 1x9. It is a awsome bike. Fast, and very stable. Mine can use some upgrades too. Mine sits a 25.5 lbs. For now, it is doing what I needed to do, so I will leave her alone. Seriously though, go tubless if you have not already. It makes a difference IMO. If you are tubeless, save your money and just ride the crap out of it. 25lbs is not bad for a fully geared 9er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Mamasita SS build

I just finished my Mamasita singlespeed conversion. I didn't end up being able to run the gearing I wanted (32x18), so I am trying 32x17 which worked out to be a magic gear. It's a tough gear combo and I will probably end up trying 19 or 20.

Easton Haven carbon bar
    Easton Haven stem
    CK headset
    Fox RL 80mm fork
    SLX brakes
    XT crank 32t + bash
    Stans Arch wheelset (Ardent 2.4/Ignitor 2.1)
    Thomson Elite seatpost

I haven't weighed it yet, but before I did the SS conversion it was 25lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Mamasita thread-mama1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

new mama owner and chainsuck

Just purchased a 2012 mama with a stock build.I have 2 rides in and both rides had chainsuck issues when upshifting the front derailler.The ride today ruined the chain and put a nice gouge in my shiny new frame.
    I Googled Mamasita chainsuck and found it is very common for this frame,but did not see a known cause or fix other than someone saying "it's a bad frame design"
    Excuse me if this has been covered here many times b4 ,but can any of you Salsa Mama experts tell me what I'm doing wrong ? or what I can do,if anything, to fix it.I don't think it's me...my 2008 Turner doesn't have a problem with this,so I don't think it's me doing something wrong.Other than the chainsuck,I love this bike so far !
    Any advice or help greatly appreciated !

mtbr member

chainsuck

73Cuda, I am no "expert" but I might offer some help. I also just got this bike a few weeks ago and have run into this problem a few times, not as badly as you. At first I thought I played with the shifter adjustment and made it a little better but with the 2x10 you can get out of whack pretty quick. What I have discovered is that the shifter doesn't act that quickly on the upshift. I found that if you bury the ratcheting(upshift) shifter you avoid this problem. If you are gentle with it, it will only travel halfway and will set the chain in between the chainrings. Also you can't be applying much power when you are attempting this either. Hopefully this helps you it has eliminated the problem for me so far. I am not familiar enough with other shifter/derailer combos to know if it could be solved there. For the stock setup I think this is the trick. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve NMI View Post
    73Cuda, I am no "expert" but I might offer some help. I also just got this bike a few weeks ago and have run into this problem a few times, not as badly as you. At first I thought I played with the shifter adjustment and made it a little better but with the 2x10 you can get out of whack pretty quick. What I have discovered is that the shifter doesn't act that quickly on the upshift. I found that if you bury the ratcheting(upshift) shifter you avoid this problem. If you are gentle with it, it will only travel halfway and will set the chain in between the chainrings. Also you can't be applying much power when you are attempting this either. Hopefully this helps you it has eliminated the problem for me so far. I am not familiar enough with other shifter/derailer combos to know if it could be solved there. For the stock setup I think this is the trick. Good Luck!
    thanks for the response,i know what you mean about the front derail. shifting,...you have to be decisive on your upshift.Headed to my LBS tomorrow morning for a new chain,maybe they have a fix.thanks again

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

chainsuck

You da man ! Excellent !!,exactly what i was looking for.Thank You !!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Question for you Mamasita riders. I am currently in the market for a used Mamasita. I am 5'7" and am thinking a SM is probably the appropriate size. Does this sound about right? Any insight is appreciated.

mtbr member

Size

Quote Originally Posted by MNiskanen View Post
    Question for you Mamasita riders. I am currently in the market for a used Mamasita. I am 5'7" and am thinking a SM is probably the appropriate size. Does this sound about right? Any insight is appreciated.
    It is a tough call because I have a buddy that is about 5'7" and he can ride a medium in a GT Zasker 9er frame. My wife is 5'1" and rides a small 16" El Mar frame. If I were you and I was ordering online I would go with a small. Or better yet, find some 9ers with some compariable geos and test ride them at your local shops. I think you would be okay with a small. You can always throw a set back seat post and a longer stem to get the fit right. But, this can also throw off the geo of the frame. Like I said, tough call. Also, you can run a bike fit calculator with your measurements to see what bike you would fit into. CompetitiveCyclist.com has a pretty good fit calc. I did a lot of bike fit research before I purchased my wife's El Mar frame. It fits her pretty well. She too wants a Mamasita frame, but if we do pick one up, I would go with a XS vs. S. I say she is on the smaller end of the small El Mar frame. IMO, I would rather be on the bigger end of the frame size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc_n_tucson View Post
    It is a tough call because I have a buddy that is about 5'7" and he can ride a medium in a GT Zasker 9er frame. My wife is 5'1" and rides a small 16" El Mar frame. If I were you and I was ordering online I would go with a small. Or better yet, find some 9ers with some compariable geos and test ride them at your local shops. I think you would be okay with a small. You can always throw a set back seat post and a longer stem to get the fit right. But, this can also throw off the geo of the frame. Like I said, tough call. Also, you can run a bike fit calculator with your measurements to see what bike you would fit into. CompetitiveCyclist.com has a pretty good fit calc. I did a lot of bike fit research before I purchased my wife's El Mar frame. It fits her pretty well. She too wants a Mamasita frame, but if we do pick one up, I would go with a XS vs. S. I say she is on the smaller end of the small El Mar frame. IMO, I would rather be on the bigger end of the frame size.
    Thanks, mjc_n_tuscon! Historically, I've always gone with frames that are a bit small, and then adjusted setback, stem length, etc.. But I've always ridden 26" mtb and this will be my first jump to a 29er. Really tossing around a Mamasita or an El Mariachi (really love steel). Buuuutttt, since I'll likely be ordering online, I would like to dial in fit. Thanks for the tip on Comp Cyclist. I've used their fit calculator before, and totally forgot about that option. How does your wife like the El Mar?

mtbr member
    @MNishanen-
    Same here. I can ride a large frame, but I go with the M. I run a 110mm stem on all my 29ers. My road bikes are large however. Anyhow, yeah, I want an El Mar too. My wife loves hers. She had and alum 26er before this bike, and according to her, the ride quality is so much better. She is faster on the 9er too. She said the steel frame absorbs the trail really well. My Mama is a nice riding bike too. I have never owned a steel MTB, so I am curious on how they ride. The reason I got my wife the El Mar is, I found a new frame for $399 online. Heck, I found my mama frame for about $400 too. I am sure you will be happy with either frameset.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7" and I'm looking for an El Mariachi for bikepacking. However, I've been trying to decide on frame size. I was able to get a Mamasita (same geometry) demonstrator in a medium. I'm glad I did as, with a slightly shorter stem, length was perfect. Top tube is a bit "neat" for gonad clearance but it's bearable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    I'm 5'7" and I'm looking for an El Mariachi for bikepacking. However, I've been trying to decide on frame size. I was able to get a Mamasita (same geometry) demonstrator in a medium. I'm glad I did as, with a slightly shorter stem, length was perfect. Top tube is a bit "neat" for gonad clearance but it's bearable.
    Good to know, druidh. I am looking at a Med. Mamasita right now and may pull the trigger on it. Sounds like with a shorter stem (100MM?), the fit will work.

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    Which rigid fork for 2012 Mamasita? I'm leaning toward the Syncros because it is most corrected for 100mm susp. fork. I'm most concerned about geometry and I find the steering of the Mamasita with 100mm Reba to be fast enough. This will be a general trail bike (diversion from my Spearfish), plus commuter. I don't want any brake flutter and some compliance would be nice.
    M

What What!!!
    Mar 2010
    so I just got a mamasita frame, how do I find out what year it is? I am building it up this weekend SS rigid.

mtbr member

Year

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Man View Post
    so I just got a mamasita frame, how do I find out what year it is? I am building it up this weekend SS rigid.
    What color is it? Does it have the tapered head tube and PressFit BB? If it is bright red with orange and yellow accents, it is most likly a 2011 or 2012. If it is white with blue accents, it is a 2013. If the frame has carbon stays along with a standard BB, standard head tube, and is black or red, I would say it is a 2010 or 2009. Maybe even a 2008. I don't know the 1st year the Mamasita was made.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Had one of these:

It broke where the carbon seat stays joined the scandium frame.

I got the replacement:

And for a while my garage looked like a Salsa plant!

What What!!!
    Mar 2010
    Awesome I have the one that is black with red accents. Building it up Sunday can't wait. Is there anything I need to know about building it? It's going to be a SS rigid. My first! I'll pos some pictures when it's done.

What What!!!
    Mar 2010
    Single speed conversion? How do I do it? Do I a tensioner on the rear hanger? I'm new to the single speed thing, I have a 08 frame need some help! Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Do a search for Mamasita magic gear and you will find a number of hits for gear combos that don't require a tensioner.

Personally I have tried:

32x17 - good until the trail starts to tilt up too much
    32x21 - good for hills, not as good for flat terrain
    34x19 - Currently trying this one. It's a little easier than 32x17, but stiffer than 32x21

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What rigid forks are folks running on their newer style Mamasita frame (2011+)? Looking for pics if you got 'em!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm building up a new Mamasita now and will be running it 1x10. I'll post some pics soon.

mtbr member
    I'll add this here too. Just got it together and hope to give it a good breaking in this weekend.

mtbr member
    I hope I don't hijack this thread. Title is quite open-ended.
    One of my newbie friends is thinking of buying one second hand (red color, year ?) and asked my opinion. I am sure it rides great (I like Salsas in general) but I was wondering how the junction carbon/ scandium was aging and potentially the scandium chainstays if they really take some flexion. In this thread, Johnny29 mentions he had such issues with an older model. Please post your experiences.
    Cheers. Eric

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Eric, the original Mamasitas (mine included) were known to have issues with separation at the carbon/scandium junction. Salsa was great and warrantied these frames. I had the 2nd generation red frame for two years before I went in a different direction. The frames are light, stiff, responsive and ride great.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

The Mamasita thread

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny29 View Post
    Eric, the original Mamasitas (mine included) were known to have issues with separation at the carbon/scandium junction. Salsa was great and warrantied these frames. I had the 2nd generation red frame for two years before I went in a different direction. The frames are light, stiff, responsive and ride great.
    I have a red 2012 Mamasita (replacement of original carbon fiber seatstay version). I personally think it's a barely average hardtail. Not particularly light, good stiffness, it is responsive but can steer a bit lazy, good ride, definitely low price, the F derailleur required is ridiculous - clogs with dirt and prevents shorter chainstays, brake tabs are cheap-o, cable routing is '80's road bike technology, I love the color but decals are ugly and uninspired, descends very well, climbs well, not playful, but enjoyable to ride, I think my skills have developed beyond this bike.
    M

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    I have a red 2012 Mamasita (replacement of original carbon fiber seatstay version). I personally think it's a barely average hardtail. Not particularly light, good stiffness, it is responsive but can steer a bit lazy, good ride, definitely low price, the F derailleur required is ridiculous - clogs with dirt and prevents shorter chainstays, brake tabs are cheap-o, cable routing is '80's road bike technology, I love the color but decals are ugly and uninspired, descends very well, climbs well, not playful, but enjoyable to ride, I think my skills have developed beyond this bike.
    What I meant by a second generation red frame was that I had the red with carbon stays. I found that bike to be quite enjoyable. I have not ridden the all scandium red frame. Sorry if that was confusing.

Eric, good luck to your friend and his choice of a new frame.

mtbr member
    I had the carbon/scandium version and it handled well, but was not playful at all. So that took the fun out of riding. I think the dull ride was due to the long chainstays. Switched to an air9 which was better then switched to a Breezer Cloud9 and found the bike I really love even if it is a 29er.

mtbr member
    Thanks all for your feedbacks.
    My friend got a complete bike (except seat and pedals) for $900.
    It is the red Scandium/ carbon version with XO gears XTR crankset, carbon fiber moto bars and DTSwiss/ ZTR Arch wheelset.
    Since he is a beginner, I am sure it will be a fantastic first bike for him.
    He was just a little worried by the longevity.
    If these frames are usually safe.
    It's all good.
    Cheers
    Eric

mtbr member
    @eric_syd I hope your friend is happy with the bike. One thing though that nobody mentioned and I can't tell from your last post. What fork does the bike have on it? The original scandium/carbon mamasitas were designed for 80mm travel suspension forks. If it has a 100mm fork on it, the bike will handle much slower because by propping it up with the taller fork, you effectively open up the head angle of the bike. Just thought you should know.

mtbr member
    came with a Manitou 80mm. Should be fine then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

New Mamasita Build

Coming from a 2008 epic 26er, I will be racing my new 1x10 mamasita this year. 21.5lbs with pedals, should be sweet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Mamasita thread-photo-8.jpg  

The Mamasita thread-photo-9.jpg  

The Mamasita thread-photo-11.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    sorry for the sideways pics...

Bike build is Sram XO, Formula brakes, Ritchey, Stans Crest, Shwalbe, fizik, paul chain keeper, and crank bros.

Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, as you can see we still have snow up here in MN.

mtbr member
    @Dominict - Nice build and nice weight!! Mine is slightly under 24lbs right now. I have some arches and some some heavier tires than you have on your bike. I am racing mine in a few weeks in Prescott, AZ (Whiskey 50 proof). I am running a 36 ring up front and 11-34 cassette. We'll see how the 36 ring works out, haha. I been pushing that ring since I built mines up, so I should be fine. I just upgraded to some carbon bars and a 175mm crank (Same crank - FSA afterburner). When I build the bike last year, I just wanted to try out the 170mm crank. I can slightly tell the difference, but the 170 was not bad at all. I noticed I kept a more steady cadence while in the saddle. However, I do notice the extra torque I get from the 175 while out of the saddle. Anyhow, I am sure you will enjoy the bike.. I know it puts a smile on my face every time..