Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Mamasita owners (2012/2013) help!

I've been scouring the Salsa forum but I haven't found much info about the 2012/2013 Mamasita frames (the non scandium/carbon ones). Who has a red 2012 or white 2013 model Mamasita that can give me some good feedback/insight into how it rides. Why you're happy with it or maybe why you aren't. What were you riding before the Mamasita? How do they compare? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I found some of the info you're requesting in these two threads:

The Mamasita thread

No love for mamasita
    Randy

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting links to those two threads. Previous to opening this post I read them both all the way through and thought they were kind of weak on the info I'm looking for.

Come on 2012/2013 Mamasita owners, let's hear your thoughts.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Dude, it's like a $500 aluminum frame, what do you expect? I had a 2008 with carbon seatstays which came unglued and was graciously replaced by Salsa with a red 2012. It's a good frame - I currently have it setup fully rigid. The lateral stiffness is actually really good and acceleration stiffness also good and I get a smile when sprinting out of the saddle - can't complement a bike more than that. Frame details like cable routing, machining of mounting points (BB, headset, brakes) are budget. There is some minimal tube shaping. Twentynineinches.com did a short review of the Mamasita about 1 year ago.
    M

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    The lateral stiffness is actually really good and acceleration stiffness also good and I get a smile when sprinting out of the saddle - can't complement a bike more than that. Frame details like cable routing, machining of mounting points (BB, headset, brakes) are budget. There is some minimal tube shaping.
    Thanks. That's the kind of info I was looking for. You say the lateral stiffness is good. How is the ride, comfy, ok, harsh? Do the flattened seat stays and a 27.2 post help smooth things out?

The problem is I'm on the fence between the Mariachi and the Mamasita. I like the Mariachi because I like the way steel rides and I like Salsa's alternator dropouts. However, the frame is heavy. To top it off with their size changes in Mariachi, I'd want the 17" (M) frame so that it doesn't look goofy the way the 15" one does, but it puts me on a longer top tube. With the Mamasita I'd got with the 16", get a shorter top tube and lighter frame, but I don't want it to be super uncomfortable either.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Even with Ti seatpost and ~22-24psi converted tubeless, the Mamasita rides too harsh on real trails for my back, that's why I got a Spearfish. The Spearfish is nice on my back, but lacks the snappiness and feedback of the Mamasita. Frankly the Spearfish is rather dull, I think due to long chainstays. It's not easy to manual. I also think the Mamasita could improve it's willingness to play and the steering is a bit slow causing me to I run turns wide. Oddly, the steering can be just a tad floppy too - leaning the bike over too much causes oversteer. The Mamasita is a very basic aluminum frame for a fair price - don't expect miracles. Anyway, I think the most important feature on a hardtail is the fork.

FYI - I ride the XL.
    I would never buy a smaller frame to save weight. If low weight is about speed, then I say your power and therefore speed is much better on a bike that fits. And better on a bike that let's you save energy.
    Last edited by Motivated; 02-01-2013 at 04:45 AM.
    M

mtbr member
    Thanks for the extra info. I rode a Spearfish for a while when they were first released. It's a nice bike, but I really don't like full suspension because I feel for the riding I do it just adds weight to a bike. I was considering Mariachi frame, but I'm not sure I want a frame that heavy and since Salsa changed the Mariachi sizing, 15, 17, 19 vs Mamasita 16, 18, 20 I'm not sure what size to go with. The 16" Mamasita fits me the best looking at the numbers, but the 15" Mariachi (same TT length as 16" Mamasita) looks retarded the way the seat stays and top tube come together in an almost inverted sort of way. I could probably ride the 17" Mariachi as far as standover is concerned, but it has the longer top tube of the 18" Mamasita and I'd have to put on a 90mm stem (hopefully not shorter) and use a zero offset seatpost. I'm not sure if I'd be making so many adaptations that in the end it will ride strange.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

I have no idea about your body size and bike fit, but normally a zero offset seatpost and 90mm stem are nearly ideal. Offset seatposts and long stems (>110mm) are bandaids to fit on wrong (too small) frame. I think you should have a shop employee help you with bike fit.
    M

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey ND - if you have the budget, you could always get the El-Mar ti. I'm extremely pleased with mine. It combines the confortable geometyr and the light weight. Compared with the price of a similar Moots or Indy Fabs, the Salsas are an absolute bargain! I originally had a reversed 80mm 6 degree stem on mine, but I've subsequently switched to a 0 degree 90mm Thomson for cosmetic reasons (I just wanted a posher looking stem LOL).

I've never ridden a Mamasita but I thought the steel El-mar felt good when I tried one. I was going to say if you can live with the weight of the steel then why not get a 17 inch and make sure you have a straight (not lay-back) post and maybe a 70mm or 80mm stem. I guess you have to make a decision between sprinting speed and comfort after you've been riding a couple of hours.

One more thought:
    I know Cy Turner at Cotic designed the geometry of the Solaris to work with a 70mm stem and that's quite a light Reynolds 853 frame. There's a bit of background on the design process on the Cotic website. Don't worry Salsa Fans! I own a Salsa now - NOT a Cotic. However, I've owned a 26 inch Soul for a couple of years and was very impressed so the Solaris was high on my llist of 29er steel bikes when I was looking.
    Last edited by Tea@Dimbola; 02-03-2013 at 03:17 AM.

mtbr member
    @ND - Dude, I would get one if I were you. Especially, if you can get a good deal on a frame. I own both a Spearfish and Mamasita (2012). My Sita is a 1x9 with an FSA Afterburner crank, x7/x9 drive train, 36 tooth ring up front, 11-34 cass, and Reba Ti. I have some mid level components on this thing, but I love the way it rides. It's a hard tail, so it will be harsh on those rocky trails. However, it is the best hard tail I have rode thus far. I had a 2010 Spec carbon expert 9er that I sold, because I rode my sita more than the carbon hard tail. I just feel at home on this hard tail. It is just so well balanced for me and I love the handling. The specialized was nice, but it was just to aggressive for my taste. Not as fun as my Sita on those rough techy sections. Not only this, it is fast on those that swoopy single track. I just throw some Stans ARches that I had build up with some Geax Mezcals, and man, it is a rocket. It is ready for the 24 hour in the OP, haha. I have only owned 3 hard tails 29ers in my life, Gary Fisher, Fuji, and that Spec. The Sita by far was a better riding hard tail then them all. For me at least.

It's funny, I did not like that color at first, but it has grown on my. Actually, I love the color now, haha. I have the white fork, white arches, white elixer 1's, white cages.. I get a lot of complements on it.. It is about 24.2 lbs with pedals.. I will have to post some more picks since I upgraded it a little. Last but not least, another plus is, not to many on the trails.. Actually, I have never seen another one here in Tucson.. I plan on getting my wife the 2013 frameset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You've almost got me wanting a Mamasita now - I've got white Arches & white fork on my El-Mar Ti.

mtbr member
    @Tea - Well, I want a El-Mar Ti, haha. This is the frame I will most likely get when I am done with my Sita. I still want a steal El Mar too.. My wife has a 2010 El Mar and she loves it. Man, I forgot to take pick last night of my Sita. I am already wondering what Salsa is coming out with for 2014, haha.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the extra input. I'm just kind of stuck. I think the 16" Mamasita will fit me really well, but the chainstays seem long compared to what everyone else is doing these days. Does the bike track well in terms of the rear end following the front end well in tight singletrack? Sounds like the Mamasita accelerates well from what I'm reading even though it has the longer stays.

mtbr member
    @ND - I would get it man. Are you looking at that small on Ebay? I am about 5' 9.5" and I am riding a medium with a 110mm stem. Actaully, that Specialized I sold only had 436mm chainstays (17.5" frame - small) compared to my Sita (450mm 18" Medium). Honestly, I like the handling better on my Sita. That is why I kept the sita vs. the Specialized carbon expert stumpy. The Sita is just so well balanced. I felt faster on it too. It is a nice frame man. I just rode it this morning in some twisty fast single track (Fantasy Island - Tucson) and man, heck yeah, the thing tracks well. I have never had any real issues on switch back with this bike. The specialized definitly had a shorter wheel base on paper, but I didn't notice any advantages vs the sita. Actually, I always felt more confident on the sita in the tight stuff.

mtbr member

Updated pics of my Sita

Here some pics from today.. I brought her to work with me after my ride..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mamasita owners (2012/2013) help!-photo.jpg  

Mamasita owners (2012/2013) help!-photo1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm hoping you can help me. Sorry for hijacking the Mamasita thread, but the more I read, the more confused I get and mtbr won't let me start a new thread until I've posted a couple replies. So, here's my first!

I'm a noobie first-time bike builder (always bought complete bikes until now). My frame of choice for this build is the 2012 Mamasita. I recently received my frame, headset, and fork, and was excited to get it together and took it to my local shop for some help cutting the fork and installing the headset. They eyeballed it and told me I got the wrong stuff and I'd need an adaptor. I thought I did my homework, and after reviewing all my notes, I still think I've got the right things. Can you tell me if these things are compatible, and if not, where I went wrong???

My build's front end:
    1. Frame = 2012 Salsa Mamasita
    2. Fork = Niner Rigid Carbon Fork 1 1/8
    3. Headset = Cane Creek 40-series Headset ZS 44/28.6IZS56/40

Also, I just realized how much narrower the top of the Niner fork is compared to the bottom of the Mamasita's headtube. If the above stuff is compatible, will this size difference (a) affect the ride, and (b) look ridiculous when it's all together?

Thanks in advance - Hope somebody smarter can help me out!

mtbr member
    You can use a non-tapered fork in a tapered head tube. No problem there. Some may say it will affect the front end stiffness of the bike, but I'd bet most aren't able to tell the difference.

The head set you need is the following:
    Upper: ZS44/28.6
    Lower: ZS56/30

The lower that you have (ZS56/40) is for a tapered fork. Instead of buying a new lower head set assembly you might be able to find an adapter crown race to do the trick. That way if you ever go to a tapered for all you have to do is install the crown race you currently have (40) and you're ready to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone know what the newer all aluminum mamasita frames weigh? Say a large?

mtbr member
    Just thought those of you who tried to help me out might want to know I've got a size small Mamasita on order. I had a chance to ride one in a parking lot the other day and I really liked the way it felt size wise and the fact that it did feel like it accelerated really nice. I liked the 580mm TT vs the longer 590mm TT I've been riding for the last year. The longer chainstays were sort of holding me back but the bike seemed quick to go at any push of the pedal so we'll see. I'll post a pick in the Mamasita thread when I get it all together. Thanks for all your help.

mtbr member
    I finally got it all together today. Well, I still have to shorten the rear brake line, but here she is. Hopefully I'll be able to get out and get a real feel for the bike this weekend. Thanks again to everyone who helped with info about their experience with this frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dominict View Post
    Anyone know what the newer all aluminum mamasita frames weigh? Say a large?
    salsa website quotes: L (3.83 lbs/1737g) Generally Salsa's weights are pretty honest. A tenth or 2 either direction maybe.

mtbr member
    @NDBIKE - Pretty Sweet!! That 2013 frame looks nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ndbike,that bike looks so damn good! I think I'm going to have to get a new Mamasita frame. did you build it up your self,is it 10 spd or 9 spd. I'm going to take everything off my 2010 Mamasita,I have a carbon fork and a Reba Race but I'm going to go with a new Manitou Tower Pro fork that what I have on my SF1 and I love it. I was wanting to see them go with a 12x142 rear axle

mtbr member
    @idinoma... I put it together myself. 2013 10spd XTR all around, except the pedals, which are older xtr. I had a chance to get out for almost 4 hours on Saturday and I'm really pleased with the bike. I was expecting a bit harsher ride after having ridden ti, steel and carbon for the last 4 or 5 years. The bike was really smooth and the shorter top tube compared to what I had been riding seems to fit better too. This is a 16" size small frame and I've been stuck riding 17" size small frames in other brands. Someone somewhere here at mtbr described their Mamasita as "disappearing beneath them" once they got going and that is sort of how I felt. Surprising for aluminum. Maybe for 2014 Salsa will add the 12x142 rear axle, but I'd also be afraid they apply the Mariachi geometry change to the Mamasita too. At least in my size it's a bummer. The current 16" size small becomes a 15" for the same top tube length and it looks really goofy. Maybe they won't though since the Mamasita shares the same front end as the Spearfish and for the full susser they need that extra height to get the shock in there ok. Either way, if I haven't said it enough, I'm really happy with the bike.

mtbr member
    ND: your 2013 Mama is looking great! I have the less attractive 2012 that I bought on close out so I can deal with the red. I'm very happy to hear that it's not overly harsh. I was also looking at the El Mar Ti but maybe I'll put that on hold until I ride the Mama. I think Salsa was very smart to keep the 27.6 seat post for the extra flex.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast