mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Looking to get a Vaya

Having owned a Karate Monkey and road bikes, I reckon the Vaya is The One since it seems to split the difference between the two. I like the longer HT and livelier feel than the Long Haul Trucker, so here we go...

1) What's the best online source for Vaya framesets? I didn't see any on Universal Cycles or Jenson USA...

2) I want a brifter / drop bar setup and notice almost all the Vaya builds in that thread have SRAM brifters. Is there any reason for this, like does SRAM have more cable pull than Campy/Shimano to run discs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I would guess that most people go with SRAM due to the compatibility between SRAM road and mountain bike components. SRAM road brifters can be used with SRAM mountain bike rear/front derailleurs. That allows easy use of 11-32 or 11-36 10-speed rear cassettes as well as wide-range 2x front chain rings. Trying to get Shimano road/mountain components working together is more difficult. The ability to use mountain bike components with SRAM drop-bar brifters allows for wider gear ranges than most road-specific setups - and a multi-purpose bike like the Vaya can often use the flexibility.

If you are are fine with the gearing provided by shimano road-only components, then I would say the choice between SRAM and Shimano is more personal preference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Appreciate the reply, and it makes a lot of sense.

Does the SRAM road/mountain compatibility extend to SRAM 9 speed?

I got nothin'
    I built my Vaya up on my own and used Shimano. Just my preference. Used 105 brifters with 105 derailuer up front and an XT on the rear. 10-speed setup with a 105 compact crankset/chainrings, XT 11-36 10speed casette and an XT chain. All of it works great together.

I think Vaya's are impossible to find at the moment becuase they have all been sold. try to email Salsa. They helped me track one down a couple of years ago.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I built mine up with 105/Ultegra. I'm running a triple in front. My Vaya doubles as a commuter/touring bike. The 105 brifters work ok with the road bb7 but I do believe my buddy's SRAM levers work better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Salsa has stopped allowing dealers to sell the complete bikes online I think with the 2014 bikes. I am not sure if they still allow the frames to be sold online.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloCruzer View Post
    Appreciate the reply, and it makes a lot of sense.

Does the SRAM road/mountain compatibility extend to SRAM 9 speed?
    SRAM never made a 9 speed road drivetrain.

If you decide to go the shimano 10 speed route, do your research, not all mtb rear derailieurs will work with the road bike shifters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vabikerider View Post
    Salsa has stopped allowing dealers to sell the complete bikes online I think with the 2014 bikes. I am not sure if they still allow the frames to be sold online.

Why do manufacturers do stuff like that? Isn't their purpose to sell as many as possible?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noeltazz View Post
    Why do manufacturers do stuff like that? Isn't their purpose to sell as many as possible?
    To protect their dealer network. Why would you buy a Salsa for close to retail in a local bike shop when you can buy it on Jenson or Amazon for 30% less. Most bike shops I know don't make their money on volume. They rely on mark up.

Another reason you see the majority of Vayas with SRAM is because that's how they came stock. I have had two and both came with SRAM road groups.