Thread: Lefty Spearfish

mtbr member

Lefty Spearfish

I have yet to see an example of this setup so I decided to give it a try. will update with findings Lefty Spearfish-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349092579.174335.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I am working on adapting my Canzo to run a lefty, and I will probably be buying a Spearfish next year, which should run the same fork. Best of luck to you...do the hard work for me!
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I ran a Lefty on my El Mariachi for a while, and it worked well. I used the Project 321 kit, which made it a snap. They offer a kit for the tapered headtube as well, so it should be easy.

get down!
    80mm? :-/
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    80mm? :-/
    ya, I'm going to see about taking out spacers without rubbing. otherwise it's either going to get new internals or hitting ebay to fund the correct travel fork. got a good deal on this one

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Come on...we need updates!

mtbr member
    What size is your frame? I've had a dlr2 on my large before but couldn't run the headset top cap. I've got a '13 pbr on the way. Should have it this weekend.

mtbr member
    It's a med frame. the fork has the standard spacing. there is an FSA orbit headset with a 10mm top cap. I'm going to have to turn it down 3mm for it to fit. no spacers will be required.

mtbr member
    You should be able to find a headset that will fit without mod's on a med frame. The ht is 120mm and a Crane Creek 40 is 12mm total stack height (8 top/4 btm). The fork crown spacing it 138mm. You'll like it

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudnut View Post
    It's a med frame. the fork has the standard spacing. there is an FSA orbit headset with a 10mm top cap. I'm going to have to turn it down 3mm for it to fit. no spacers will be required.
    On FSA headsets the 'top-cap' or bearing cover usually does nothing other than keep the crap off the bearings, the taper wedge thing does all the hard work. Ive often just left the top-cap/bearing cover off, with no issues, in order to drop a little more bar height.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dickyelsdon View Post
    On FSA headsets the 'top-cap' or bearing cover usually does nothing other than keep the crap off the bearings, the taper wedge thing does all the hard work. Ive often just left the top-cap/bearing cover off, with no issues, in order to drop a little more bar height.
    Exactly, I was going to turn it down more for aesthetics but on second thought aesthetics went out the window with the lefty

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hudnut View Post
    Exactly, I was going to turn it down more for aesthetics but on second thought aesthetics went out the window with the lefty
    Ha!

mtbr member
    update: Got the steerer tube and mocked it up. I've decided to hock it on ebay due to the facts that there is too little travel, and the a-c is too short and the BB will be way to low.

mtbr member
    Lefty Spearfish-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349399370.079889.jpgLefty Spearfish-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349399396.806784.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Badass!

mtbr member
    Man, you got that far and didn't even try it? I didn't even notice the reduction in travel or the lower bb, but I don't get overly excited about bb height like some folks. The main reason I took it off was because I didn't like how the DLR2 cartridge is valved. The PBR is a whole new animal.

Turns out I won't be getting a '13 in the near future. Cannondale sent the wrong fork, a freakin 26er. The 29ers are still going to new bikes. Maybe by the end of Oct, fingers crossed.