mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just bought a 2012 Spearfish frame need brake hose length

The frame is large. Thanks!
    B

mtbr member
    Build your bike, install your brakes and cut the hoses to length. Pre-measuring can always come back to bite you.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I'm running my brake line down the toptube/seatstay and held in place with black zip ties. I did the same thing to my mukluk. I don't mind running shifter cable housing down the downtube and under the BB, but brake hoses... that's just asking for trouble. Besides the fact I hate having to recut/rebleed a perfectly good and operating brake, but if you should damage the hose while riding, it can leave you with a sudden and unexpected loss of brake power. Losing a shifter cable is unlikely to cause you any problems immediately though the same way losing your back brake would.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thanks guys

I was wondering about the length because i am not trained in the jedi skill of bleeding brakes. I may go with the top tube routing; i ride really rocky terrain and had not considered that; this is actualy the first mountain bike that I have had that has the runs for the brakes going under the BB.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The rear brake run on a Spearfish is huge! I dont think i cut anything off my rear brake when i fitted it. I once tried switching in a brake off my long DH bike and the hose was about 10" too short!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    (Holds up hands)
    The front brake line is about this long.

(Spreads hands further apart)
    And the rear brake line is about thiiiiis long.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think it is either 2200 or 1800 right?

I routed the smaller size length to the rear along the toptube and it reaches without creating too much slack. If it was the 2200 length then I would haver routed via downtube and there probably would have not been too much slack, idklol. Mine was a Medium *evil laugh.

Seriously though, you should (gotta) learn to bleed brakes at some point.

Good luck

AOK
    mtbr member
    I built up a large frame, and my rear lines were OK out of the box - didn't have to cut them. I think the standard Formula rear line length is 1650mm.

You can get away with shorter lines if you run along the top tube as others have suggested. This is what I did at first, although I went to the "official" under-DT routing when I got a new set of brakes.

Enjoy - the Spearfish is a great bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I bought a Spearfish frame only, and transfered all my old parts, so I had to work with the brake hoses I already had. I just used zip ties and routed the best way for the length. I think it was down the down tube, along the chainstay, but then a detour to the seatstay, then to the brake mount. All year and its been fine.

Tom