Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crashmo View Post
    I have a couple of dumb questions on the El Mar, for all you Salsa gurus. I'm looking at purchasing a Craigslist El Mar here in Atlanta, and I'm damn well infatuated with it. Just sold my Fargo and the El Mar is next in line.

First question is, I see two distinct types of frame on the Mariachi. One is a standard looking geometry where the seatstays join the seat tube at very close to the same point as the top tube. The other has a gusset from top tube-seat tube and the seatstays join way higher up. The one I am buying is of this latter style. Is that older, or does that have to do with frame size? Mine's going to be a M.

Second, I see on the smurfy blue bikes there's some kind of adjustable black whoozie at the rear dropouts. I presume this is for tensioning the chain on a single speed, but I'm not seeing this on any other color frames. Is the blue smurfy a single speed specific frame? That's a *****in' adjustable whoozie, if you ask me.

Cheers, all you Salsa folk. I'll post up some love once I get my blue El Mar on Monday.
    Smooches.
    I believe the one you're buying is the older (pre-2010) model. Nice TrueTempOx steel. EBB. You will enjoy it.

Smurf blue is available as frame-only. The only other color is dark gray, which is available as a complete bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Is anyone running a 70 or 80mm stem? My current set up is an X4 100x10degree. I feel fairly stretched out, and am considering a change.

Apr 2007
    I've got an 80mm stem on mine. 685mm bar. Feels great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    I've got an 80mm stem on mine. 685mm bar. Feels great.
    680 with 6 back sweep. Seems to put me in the right position. I think a shorter stem may be the answer.

surly inbred
    28" bar/70mm stem.

I don't think it's quite right. The 100mm felt too long, but I'm spending some time on both for awhile. Some of what "feels off" is that I haven't finished 29er orientation class yet.

Your best fit depends on your measurements.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    These El Mar's all look awesome! I originally was set to buy a used Niner MCR9, but that fell through and I keep coming back to the El Mar. I intend to use it for my main mtb and endurance race, plus maybe even bikepack with it. What are some of the lengths of time/distances you guys have put in on these bikes while still remaining comfortable? Anyone endurance race on them? How about you guys running a rigid fork? How much longer can you go with a sus fork, for those of you who have ridden it with both the rigid and sus forks? Thanks and I hope to join the club sometime soon!
    On the Salsa web site they have a vid of bikepacking and one of the guys is useing an El Mar, I too am going to try some bikepack with mine, I also do endurance racing but I have not raced my El Mar yet, I'm going to on July 30th but I will mostlikely spend most of the race on my Mamasita. My main mtb play bike is the El Mar and I love it, right now if I could only have one mtb bike it would be the El Mar becuse it does everything above and SS, I have two Rebas,100mm & 80mm I like the 80mm better and I am going to try a rigid soon.
    Dino.

Adventure Mapper
    Thanks Dino. Let me know how your race goes in a couple weeks. I am really curious about how it performs in the endurance race context. Try to stay on the el mar as long as you can! How does the mamasita compare when doing long rides?
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/

Apr 2007
    I'm going to add my craptasic iphone pic:

surly inbred
    I'm going to add my craptasic iphone pic
    Where does one get a pink wheel chock? Preferably Ti or carpet fiber, please.

Adventure Mapper
    I'm going to add my craptasic iphone pic:

Thanks for posting the pic finally p nut! Can you describe your build for me?
    That is a very nice pink wheel chock by the way!

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    Where does one get a pink wheel chock? Preferably Ti or carpet fiber, please.
    It's a rare commodity around here. You have to bribe the owner to use it. Usually some candy or cookies.

Thanks for posting the pic finally p nut! Can you describe your build for me?
    That is a very nice pink wheel chock by the way!
    Build is nothing special. WTB Laserdisc wheels (hoping to get it replaced with Stans), Rampage front, Saguaro rear, BB7/XTR levers, XT cranks, Thomson post, SLK saddle (I'm thinking of replacing with a Brooks), some cheap stem, cheap bar (EA50, I think), ESI chunky grips, RS Reba Race.

Although my ride got cut very short yesterday due to construction (6 miles), it was nice to get her out. Been riding my Monocog more recently. Forgot how much fun this bike was.

surly inbred
    Craptastic. That was my weekend. Rigid ss'er at Sugarbush, VT. Yeah, I got heckled.

Anywho, my new goal this week is to utilize "craptastic" in all my posts. Just because. In so doing, here's the El Mar in all her craptastic IPhone glory.

Adventure Mapper
    Any of you ride both a fargo and el mariachi? Seems like the standover is greater and ett shorter on the fargo...just wondering if it is a viable option for an actual mtb application or if it is just too much like a touring bikes geometry to be as comfortable/adept to everything thrown at it on a typical mtb epic ride.

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Anybody have a 2011 size small to reference?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks Dino. Let me know how your race goes in a couple weeks. I am really curious about how it performs in the endurance race context. Try to stay on the el mar as long as you can! How does the mamasita compare when doing long rides?
    I think they are the same as far as on long rides I haven't gone as far on the El Mar as I have the Mamasita, I raced the Mamasita last year in four 24 hour races, I had a Big Mama that I used for a few laps but my Mamasita is a light fast bike 20lbs (it used to be 23lbs last year) I have it set-up with a niner carbon fork now and I'll start my races on the Mamasita than if my hands start to hurt after awhile then I'll use the El Mar.

If you have a chance try to find a new Mamasita and compair it to the El Mar, the first thing that comes to my mind is the weight as far as racing but then just train harder
    Dino.

Salsa!
    Quote Originally Posted by VO2 Lax View Post
    Anybody have a 2011 size small to reference?
    I'm on a small

I am 5'2" with a 30.5" inseam
    2011 Salsa El Mariachi "Corzo"
    _______
    Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Salsa!
    Because I can't resist... here's another picture of her on a lovely little overlook from 2 weeks ago.

2011 Salsa El Mariachi "Corzo"
    _______
    Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Adventure Mapper
    So...I joined the club! Placed my order for a medium mariachi frame, fargo fork, 32t salsa ring, 20t surly cog, four king cage ss cages and some other parts to finish the build. Will post pics as soon as I get it built up.

Apr 2007
    Nice. Curious why you went with a Fargo fork?

Just went for another ride on the El Mar this morning. I love this bike the more I ride it.

Adventure Mapper
    Nice. Curious why you went with a Fargo fork?

Just went for another ride on the El Mar this morning. I love this bike the more I ride it.
    The reason I ended up at the Fargo fork is a little on the long story side of things, but I will try to keep it short.

First off, I was a little brainwashed I think. P nut, you have me enthralled with fat front bikes. I definitely see myself getting an Enabler fork, wide rimmed wheel and Larry tire sometime in the future, its just too expensive for me at the moment and I got a set of ss front and rear Mustang wheels in a trade, so I have a 100mm ft hubbed wheel that I can use right now with a 2.4 Ardent tire I picked up for $20. Cash is super tight right now, in fact, my wife just graciously agreed that I could spend 750 on the build items I got yesterday even though our plan was to sell my Titus frame, Revelation fork, and Easton XC1 wheels first before buying the Mariachi and ss parts. She loves me a lot and cares about my fitness, knowing that a new frame will have me riding every spare minute I get. Ok, so after all that, let me get back to answering "why the fargo fork", because I was trying to keep this shot. Hahaha.

So I really liked the Enabler + Fat front idea and have plans to try that in the future, but its a little out of my $ range at the moment...I got hung up on the idea of spending hours on end on the Mariachi and having waterbottle mounts on the forks with ability to also put Anything Cages in their stead for bikepacking. That is a real selling point for me. Then I searched for Mariachi and Enabler and found this thread:

Enabler 100mm or Cro Moto with bosses?

Reading PK's recommendation for the Fargo fork on El Mar made a lot of sense, especially when you analyze the measurements between the Cromoto Grande and the Fargo V2 fork. They are pretty much the same thing, but one has braze ons.

That's why I got 4 King Cages! I am planning to do some super long rides on my new bike!

Apr 2007
    Makes sense. Good luck with the build.

mtbr member
    Just updated the drivetrain on my ElMar. Still an awesome bike that I have been using as backup for most of the season. I plan on training on it quite a bit throughout the remainder of the season.

Last edited by DavidR1; 07-24-2011 at 04:30 PM.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

My El Mariachi

Here's mine:

mtbr member
    My new El Mar Ti. Only a couple rides so far but I love it.

Adventure Mapper
    Quote Originally Posted by gunboats View Post
    Here's mine:

Sick ride gunboats! I never posted the pics of mine, so maybe I should soon.

Can you list out your specs on the build you chose?

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast