Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    great work, can't wait to see the build?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    GT, if you don't mind, can you post the cost of the "Gun Kote"? Just did a Google search on "gun kote" & found a "brushed stainless" color. It's pretty inexpensive as well, $15.99 for an 8 oz can of the stuff. Gives me ideas for a used/new Mariachi frame I might be acquiring in the near future.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes
    GT, if you don't mind, can you post the cost of the "Gun Kote"? Just did a Google search on "gun kote" & found a "brushed stainless" color. It's pretty inexpensive as well, $15.99 for an 8 oz can of the stuff. Gives me ideas for a used/new Mariachi frame I might be acquiring in the near future.
    I don't have the frame back yet, but when I do get it, I'll try to let you know. Keep in mind that a single color will be waaay less expensive and get to your door quicker than mine did.

The process is handled through Ben's Cycles, by the way. So you might want to contact them directly if you are interested in this.

http://www.benscycle.net/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I don't have the frame back yet, but when I do get it, I'll try to let you know. Keep in mind that a single color will be waaay less expensive and get to your door quicker than mine did.

The process is handled through Ben's Cycles, by the way. So you might want to contact them directly if you are interested in this.

http://www.benscycle.net/
    I don't have anything that needs koting right now so I don't mind waiting until you get your frame back to find out the price.

I'll probably try a DIY approach first in any case & if that isn't satisfactory then I'll just send the frame off to the pros. Cost permitting.

Thanks for the link.

Harmonius Wrench
    Here it is back in my home. The flash from the camera brings out the purple more, but without that intense light it looks very much like an eggplant color.

Anyway, the cost for this with panel and custom masked decal, (everything you see is Gun Kote, no decals in the traditional sense), is about $500.00. That said, a single color job is approximately $350.00.

Get a hold of Ben's Cycle if you are interested. They really are "officially" only doing this sort of thing on their in house Milwaukee branded stuff, but will entertain outside jobs if you contact them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've searched but cannot find the El Mariachi photo thread?-november09-001.jpg  

I've searched but cannot find the El Mariachi photo thread?-november09-007.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    GT, thanks for posting the pics & price.

From your pics, your bike turned out great! The koting looks just like paint in the pics.

Even a $350 single color koting is a bit too much for me. Well, ok, a lot too much for me :-). I think I'll just stick to aluminum frames for now & just strip them down to their raw state & leave it at that.

But I'll probably give DIY koting of bike parts that can fit in an oven just to see how the coating is for durability. Probably in either SS or brushed Ti. I'll be shooting for a sort of monochrome look.

Thanks again.

mtbr member

my bike Sancho

I've searched but cannot find the El Mariachi photo thread?-el-mar.jpg

Sancho as configured several months ago.

mtbr member
    nice El Mariachi

mtbr member
    Thanks! It's been an awesome ride.

Harmonius Wrench
    Got the Gun Kote El Mariachi together and thought I'd share. (The blue chain will be replaced with a purple one, otherwise it's done)

23lbs as she sits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've searched but cannot find the El Mariachi photo thread?-november099-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    very nice Guitar Ted, show us some more clear good pics. Is that a Salsa bottle cage you using, any good?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer
    very nice Guitar Ted, show us some more clear good pics. Is that a Salsa bottle cage you using, any good?
    There are a couple more images here: http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com...full-view.html

You can click the pics to enlarge them there.

The Salsa bottle cages have been great. I have two more like them on my Fargo. Never dropped a bottle, and being stainless steel, they do not mark up the bottles either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Red is back in action

Got Red#5 back in action this week. Sweet! Like putting on a comfy soft leather glove.

Gnat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've searched but cannot find the El Mariachi photo thread?-bw-el-mar.jpg  

I've searched but cannot find the El Mariachi photo thread?-el_mariachi_red.jpg  

My website: Gnat Likes - Bicycles - Photography - Adventure - People
    Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by GnatBikes
    Got Red#5 back in action this week. Sweet! Like putting on a comfy soft leather glove.

Gnat
    Isn't she lovely? I've been riding my red El Mariachi a ton lately since getting the new Absolute + damper for my Minute 29 fork. Between it, my Fargo and my Chili Con Crosso, I haven't been riding much else.

I hate to say it, but my Big Mama hasn't been getting much saddle time lately... There just aren't enough bumps in the ground this time of year! That's OK though, it had lots of good miles over the summer. The sloppy season isn't prime full suspension season anyway!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've searched but cannot find the El Mariachi photo thread?-mgselm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have to thank this thread for re-igniting my love for my El Mar. I'm made some "upgrades" recently and have been loving this bike!! (Especially with the lighter wheels!)
    Upgrades as follows:
    X2 Stem, Hope Mono M4 Brakes 183/160, White Industries M16 Hubs/DT Comps/Stan Arches, Delta Bolt-on skewers, Tubeless to Crossmark & Rampage. Threw on the fork as well.

mtbr member
    nice bike and upgrade.
    what do you think of the Manitou fork?

mtbr member
    My drop bar El Mar. I still need a few parts.

Dropbar SS Mamasita
    XTC Composite 29
    CruX
    Anthem X 29
    Unknown trials bike

mtbr member
    Here is my updated bike ready for the 2010 race season:

CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    nice build
    you might wanna think about getting a longer chain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer
    nice build
    you might wanna think about getting a longer chain
    Thanks for the advice, never had any problems with the chain.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Chain guide?

Which chain guide are you using there and how is it working? I have been having trouble with the Jump Stop on mine. Would also like to get rid of the bash guard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Tdee, how about some updated photos on the drop-bar El Mar? How does it ride? Have been toying with the idea putting drop bars on my EM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tproc
    Which chain guide are you using there and how is it working? I have been having trouble with the Jump Stop on mine. Would also like to get rid of the bash guard.
    I to had problems with my N-Gear jump stop. Unless it was set up exactly perfect, I would drop the chain.

This is a Paul Chainkeeper. Only about 100 miles so far, without a dropped chain.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

jmw
    mtbr member
    I'm sure there will be some new el Mariachi's showing up here soon...

here's my trusty original el Mariachi, 1x8 with a Paul thumbie mount, Waltworks fork, etc...
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...uct=51654&cat=
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've searched but cannot find the El Mariachi photo thread?-dscn1260.jpg  

Last edited by jmw; 07-02-2010 at 06:07 AM.
    future nature

Harmonius Wrench
    Here's the latest shot of "Grimace", the '07 El Mariachi that I had Gun Koted last year. Still lovin' it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've searched but cannot find the El Mariachi photo thread?-xtdynasys2010-009.jpg  

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast