mtbr member

I paid the band.

A while back I told my friend (and owner of my LBS) that my dream bike, my "someday" bike was an El Mariachi. A few weeks ago he said "Are you still interested in a Salsa? I'm going to be a dealer, and we can work something out to get you an El Mar." This was just as I sold a ton of camera gear I wasn't using anymore and had a sudden influx of disposable cash. So this happened:

I paid the band.-el_mar_ti.jpg

Medium El Mariachi Ti, SLX 2x10 build. The cockpit, fork and wheels moved over from my Kona, which is now back to stock and will either go to my wife or leave the garage.

I don't know if it's the lighter weight, changed gearing, or simply the power of bikelust but I'm riding stronger than I ever did on my old bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Very nice¡ I'm somewhat tempted by the El Mar myself. I went to my LBS yesterday hoping to test ride one, but they recently sold the one they had in my size, the singlespeed. A dude apparently drove in from another state just for that bike. They only made a limited run, right? I really don't have the money for it at the moment though. I might go for an El Mar frame next Fall/Winter though, and migrate parts over from my current hardtail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You must have really sold a lot of camera stuff if you could buy that sweet ride! Congrats.
    I have always said I would like my next bike to to Titanium, but I keep looking at those prices thinking how I could buy a el mar 2 AND a fargo 2 or 3 for the price of one Ti el mar (or fargo)!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I sold two complete digital SLR systems; that, plus bartering (I'm going to take photos for the shop's website) plus moving the parts from my Kona made it possible. I was going to get the steel frame but it was going to be a while before one was available in my size, and I figured if I'm buying my dream bike I may as well really go for it!

two wheel whore
    Congrats on the dream bike! I ordered the steel '2' version last week. And building my dream bike (WFO) in the process. Happy trailing!