Spin-stabilized

How compliant is the El Mariachi?

Torn between a highball Aluminum and the mariachi for my bikepacking bike. Large highball fits like a glove and is significantly lighter (always good for bikepacking). My old bikepacking rig was a cheapo aluminum 26er and it didn't beat me up for some reason. I Just want to know if I'll even notice the extra cush of steel. I'll be running this bike SS for wet weather riding.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think the only way to find out would be to test ride both (preferably back 2 back on the same section of trail). That's not easily done I admit. I've have a Ti El-Mar myself but I've had a quick blast on a steel El-Mar too, and it felt pretty good to me. When I was buying my bike, (my requirement was a light and comfortable 'all day/Marathon type 29er hardtail) I also had the Cotic Solaris and the Niner MCR on my wanted list. If it hadn't been for a a lucky ebay bargain, I'd be on one of the steel bikes I listed.
    Best of Luck to you!

dirtbag
    The El Mar will be heavier than the Highball but it offers up a nice smooth ride. They're easy to set up SS with the swinging dropouts and will last thru several seasons of wet weather riding if taken care of properly, ie- Framesaver application and preventative maintenance. I use mine for bikepacking and while it's not light, it handles a long weekend load with frame/seat/handlebar bags worth of gear competently. To add a little incentive, fitted frame bags are easily available off the shelf with the co-branded Salsa/Revelate bags. You'll can't beat that.
    Amolan