mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Horsethief sizing help

I am 5'11.5", wear 32/33 inseam pants and have longer legs/arms and a shorter torso. No dealers close by to test on...

Med or large?

mtbr member
    I'm about the same height as you (6'1) with everything else just about the same.

I went with the 20", it's a big bike but I like the longer top tube with a short stem. It just felt much more comfortable for me. I think either would work for you, just what you like better in the "feel" department. I think the med would feel a bit cramped for myself.

mtbr member
    Vettevert, I am your same exact height and inseam. I have the 18" and am very happy with the size. Put on a 70mm stem and 745mm bars and it feels about perfect for me.
    Last edited by JohnJameson; 10-22-2012 at 07:52 PM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    At the OP's size, I'd go medium.

I'm 6'2", 34-inch cycling inseam with monkey arms and I'm on a large. Even with a 50mm stem, it's a big bike.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a M today, and I am (OP) your exact dimensions...for what it is worth.
    mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks all for the info. Looks like I need a M.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Find a local shop that carries any brand of bike that is close to the geometry of the Salsa. That way you can know for sure

Tom

dvn
    mtbr member
    I'm 5' 10.5" 32" inseam and the medium fits me perfect.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Vettevert, you gonna use it for xc or more for all mtn sort of riding? I got mine for xc and am the same dimensions as you. I run a 100mm stem and it's still a bit short for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
    Vettevert, you gonna use it for xc or more for all mtn sort of riding? I got mine for xc and am the same dimensions as you. I run a 100mm stem and it's still a bit short for me.
    A mix of both. What size did you go with?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Mine is a large. In fact, won't be mine for long. Ordered a krampus so gottas sell the Horsey. Just don't ride it enough with the Mukluk and my single speed and after I build the Krampus I doubt I'll give it much attention. Not enough time for them all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tomboyjr View Post
    Find a local shop that carries any brand of bike that is close to the geometry of the Salsa. That way you can know for sure

Tom
    Finally got to demo some bikes. Only ones available were a L Giant Reign 26er and M and L Giant Trance X 29ers. I will include geometries for both. I didn't like the Reign at all. It felt twitchy and I just never got comfortable. The Large size felt fine, but the geo/whatever just didn't work for me. The Trance 29er was much better for me. I could ride both, but honestly felt better on the Medium. Maybe I just like to ride smaller vs. bigger bikes? Comparing the geo's, it looks like the M HT is a little bigger than the M Trance29...which makes me think I should go with a Medium. Agree? Not up to snuff on anything besides seat tube and ETT...

T29:
    Trance X 29er 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Reign:
    Reign 2 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

HT:
    Salsa Cycles | Bikes | Horsethief 1
    Last edited by Vettevert; 11-01-2012 at 06:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Can anyone verify my thoughts on the geometries?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sounds like the M is a good size for you.