mtbr member

Horsethief: Remove travel spacer or not?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide if I should remove the travel spacer on my 2012 Salsa Horsethief's Fox 34 fork converting it from 120mm to 140mm. This is my first full suspension bike, so I'm in uncharted territory.

120 is plenty for most of my local trails (DC area), but I do plan on getting to NC and some other rockier places on the East Coast. Also, my wife and I will ride in UT and CO this summer, so I'm thinking it might be nice to have more travel up front for Moab and the like.

How much would this change the handling of the bike? Would it make it much harder to keep the front end down on climbs? Should I take the spacer out for trips west and put it back in for home riding? How much of a pain is it to do that? Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My Horsethief has the TALAS upgrade that allows me to go from 110mm-140mm of travel. I haven't taken it out of the 140mm since I got it. You would't think it matters that much, but for me(clyde), it does. It changes the geometry slightly, so I changed out the stem and handlebar for something that suits me better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptsube2002 View Post
    My Horsethief has the TALAS upgrade that allows me to go from 110mm-140mm of travel. I haven't taken it out of the 140mm since I got it. You would't think it matters that much, but for me(clyde), it does. It changes the geometry slightly, so I changed out the stem and handlebar for something that suits me better.
    ptsube,

Thanks for your response. What are the biggest benefits you have gotten from going to 140? How has it affected the climbing? I know you say it helps you because you're a Clyde. I'm just 5'7" and 175, so I'm wondering how much difference it might make for me.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    To begin with, I bought the bike used and it had a weird front end set up. I endo'd the first time out. It had a short(80mm) stem with a rise, and riser bars. I endo'd when I had the fork set to 110mm. So I set it to 140mm. That helped the descending, but the climbing made the front end want to come off the ground. So when I got home, I had a spare stem hanging around, 100mm with -5deg and used the same riser bars. That helped. I then switched to a 110mm stem with 0deg and a flat bar which is perfect. Center of gravity is perfect. I always keep the fork in the 140mm setting. Front end never feels like it wants to come off the ground on climbs and the extra travel helps for descents.

I'm an in the saddle climber. If I didn't do the changes to the front end, I would have left it on 110mm most of the time. However, I pretty much had to change it so, I changed it to suit the 140mm better.

To me, if you don't at least try it, you'll always be wondering how much better the descent would be. You can always compensate for the climbs. If you have the original stem you can flip it to -5deg to see if that solves any problems that come up.