mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Horsethief differs from geo chart

Just finished building up my 2014 Horsethief 2 frame. Size medium. Built with a Pike at 120mm, 51mm offset.

When I measure the head angle I get 67.3 deg. Almost 1 deg off.
    (I measured on the stanchions but I'm quit sure they are parallel with the steerer on the pike)

The bottom bracket height is about 325mm (12.8") with 740mm wheels, 9mm lower than on Salsa's geo.

Wheelbase is about 1160 (medium frame), 9mm longer than speced.

Do you have similar numbers or is there something wrong with my frame?

mtbr member
    Silly questions, but are you sure that your headset is properly installed, and that the stem is sufficiently tight (spacers don't rotate)?
    2014 Horsethief, 2013 Karakoram, NB-AT3, 2006 Giant XtC

Cassoulet forever !
    BB height depends on the fork
    whellbase depends on fork offset
    since you are not using the regular fork, this looks normal to me

As for the head angle, did you measure the angle of the soil to get a propre reference ?
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    BB height depends on the fork
    whellbase depends on fork offset
    since you are not using the regular fork, this looks normal to me
    The 120mm Pike has the same 51mm offset and 530mm axle-to-crown that the 130mm Fox has. That's one of the reasons it's so popular as a fork for the Horsethief, and is used by the Salsa employee in the Horsethief thread, and as the fork on the new 2015 carbon Horsethief that Dirt Rag Mag just wrote about yesterday.

("The stock bikes are equipped with 130mm Fox F29 32 or RockShox Revelation forks rather than the Fox 34 on the first generation model or the RockShox Pike pictured here. While it is compatible with 120mm-130mm forks, the added axle-to-crown height of the beefier forks mean they have to be reduced in travel if used by customers. Thus this bike has a 120mm Pike.")
    2014 Horsethief, 2013 Karakoram, NB-AT3, 2006 Giant XtC

mtbr member
    Also unless you have the frame in a jig it is nearly impossible to get an accurate reading on bike angles. Ground is never perfectly level also tire inflation can skew the numbers etc.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The headset is tight. The floor is flat and levelled.

Measured everything one again.

Wheels. Measuring height (diameter) using tape and spirit level placed on top of wheel. 740mm. Measured wheel circumference, 2323mm/pi = 739.8.

Pike at 120mm. A-C 531mm. 51mm offset

BB height. The bike as vertical as possible. Flat floor. Measuring on both sides to be sure the bike is not leaning. BB height: 326mm

Head tube angle (measured of fork stanchion) 67.3 deg

Wheelbase: 1160mm

Anyone with a 2014 HT with 120mm Pike getting the same measurements or is it just my frame?

mtbr member
    So it's slacker than advertised? I wouldn't be complaining, just more fun pointed downhill.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Maybe they compute head tube angle with the fork at 20% sag or something?

mtbr member
    No Salsa does their geo unsagged at least according to their website. What size is the frame? I ask because when I owned my Intense Tracer VP the large frames were 1 degree steeper at the head tube then the other sizes.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's a medium but BB drop and head tube angle should be the same.

Anyone of you with 2014 Horsethieves with 530mm A-C forks who have checked BB height and head tube angle?

mtbr member
    Oh Yea no doubt they should be the same no matter the size just wondered if salsa and intense were drinking while welding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Need some help. After talking to Salsa it seams like to only way to solve this would be for me to strip the frame and ship it to them. A lot of trouble (and expensive) since I live in Sweden. I really would like to be sure that there is something wrong with my frame before I consider that.

If its not too much trouble I really would appreciate if those of you who have a 2014 HT could measure the BB height and let me know how high it is + what tires and fork you are running.

Just place the bike on a flat surface and measure from the grund to the bb center holding the bike as vertical as possible.

Thanks!