mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Horsethief bashguard?

Interested in a bashguard for my HT that's running the standard SRAM 2x10 crankset.

Does anyone have experience on what fits (or doesn't?). I've done a fair bit of searching, but I'm lacking any clear conclusions.

Attracted to the MRP XCG, but would like something that mounts via the ISCG 05 tabs is possible (I'm under the impression that it requires an adaptor for the SRAM setup).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just installed the MRP 2X on my HT and love it. I had the shop put it on and they said that it wasn't a problem to put on. There were plenty of spacers just in case it needed it. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Pics?

Which model # do we need? I'm assuming you have a stock '12 HT?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skopiec View Post
    Interested in a bashguard for my HT that's running the standard SRAM 2x10 crankset.

Does anyone have experience on what fits (or doesn't?). I've done a fair bit of searching, but I'm lacking any clear conclusions.

Attracted to the MRP XCG, but would like something that mounts via the ISCG 05 tabs is possible (I'm under the impression that it requires an adaptor for the SRAM setup).

Thanks!
    I just ordered the MRP XCG for my Salsa HT. Ordered the 2X/3X ISCG version w/chain catcher. Don't see why it wouldnt work. Should be here beginning of next week. I'll let you know if i have problems with installation.

Thought of getting the MRP 2X, but didn't want to spend that much. Also seems like it would just be one more thing to keep alligned for bike to stay in tune. Think i'll wait to hear more feedback on them before i get one.
    2012 Pivot Mach 429
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL

mtbr member
    I tried the MRP 2x on my 2012 and it didn't work well at all. Granted, the guy at my LBS who did the job (mechanic in training) didn't do the greatest job (my crank came off during the first ride with it because the guy had put a spacer in that possibly prevented the crank from being tightened enough), but my regular guy who fixed my bike back said that this particular crankset didn't fit the MRP well. Salsa is putting the MRP on the 2013 'Thief, but the crankset is different. I upgraded to a type-2 derailleur and so far have had no problems with chain drop, but I'm interested in a different bash guard as well and, like the OP, would prefer one that mounts to the tabs.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

Workin for the weekend!
    I'll assume you have the 120 BCD 2x10 setup that I have... I just mounted a Blackspire Defender and am quite happy with it. Its comes with unique modified hardware to mount the ring overtop of the existion spider. The photo at Blackspire shows a black part, it's only available in grey. I had mine re-ano'd black at a customer of mine's shop..

Blackspire - Defender 120BCD 2X | Blackspire

mtbr member
    I bought a BBG bashguard for my Mukluk. It's nice, arrived quickly, was cheap, and looks good. The 120BCD model is kinda plain, but at $20 shipped it's worth trying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i'll second the BBG as a cheap option. i have one on my HT, and while it's not the strongest piece in the world (slightly warped after a few hits) it's doing the job. just need to invest in some longer chainring bolts to get it to fit.

mtbr member
    the mrp xcg 2x/3x doesn't work. The adapter that comes with it is for BB installation, which won't work on the HT. The description MRP gives is kind of BS. saying it's a ISCG-05 adapter. Guess I'm gonna send it back.
    2012 Pivot Mach 429
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL

mtbr member

Horsethief bashguard?

I'm about 8 rides in with the MRP on my horsey and its been fantastic. Granted the LBS that installed it did a mediocre job and released it to me with it rubbing so I changed out the spacers on both sides of the cranks. So I think it DOES work but the size of spacers makes a huge difference. You guys kinda are making me tempted to check my crank tightness though.

mtbr member
    Yeah i got the MRP 2x after i returned the MRP XCG. The 2X was easy to install, and works great. Only thing to know is use the 1mm spacers, besides that there's nothing to it.
    2012 Pivot Mach 429
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL

mtbr member

Horsethief bashguard?

Quote Originally Posted by ElDuderino2412 View Post
    Yeah i got the MRP 2x after i returned the MRP XCG. The 2X was easy to install, and works great. Only thing to know is use the 1mm spacers, besides that there's nothing to it.
    It has quickly become another of those accessories (i.e. dropper post) that I cannot live without. It's amazing how much more in tune with sounds of your bike/sounds of the trail/heck sounds of everything when your chain isn't slapping like a mofo.

dvn
    mtbr member
    I'm just running a standard MRP on mine. No problems.
    Horsethief bashguard?-2012-09-14_17-23-48_9292.jpg