Dudette

Help! Which size Mukluk frame to order?

So, I have decided to build a Mukluk from the frame up, but am unsure of which size I should order - an xs or a small? I'm 5'5" with a 29.5" inseam. I'm hoping to use this bike for bikepacking as well as trail riding - so not sure if that makes a difference or not. According to Salsa's geometry chart, I'm right on the cusp between an xs and a small. My main concerns are the ETT and reach. I currently ride a small Giant Trance X 29er and the ETT on that is 22.2" - same as the xs Muk. Suggestions appreciated .
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    my wife was in a very similar situation (in between XS and S). I ultimately put her on a S and it has worked out fine. She previously rode an XS but it required the seat post to be extended almost to the limit line. Overall we are satisfied with the S decision.

BTW, she's on a Mukluk 2 frame.

Dudette
    Yeah, it's tricky. I want to use the bike for trail riding and touring, too. I'm most concerned about feeling too stretched out. What length stem are you running? The ETT/reach just seems so long on the small?
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    80mm stem

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Similar but not exact same experience.
    I'm 5'8" on a good day. I have a 2011 medium Giant Anthem X29er and run a 70mm stem. After geeking about sizing using CAD overlays of each frame I settled on the 2013 small Mukluk and use a 90mm stem. Used for trail riding and some snow if we have it. Comparing the ETT numbers and bike shop recommendations I should have gone with a medium Mukluk but it felt very long and not nimble.

One thing to consider for bike packing is a frame bag. The small has a tiny triangle and I can barely fit a large bottle with the cage mounted 1/2" lower. (drilled extra holes in cage) There has to be next to no useable space in an XS frame.