unrooted

Guess No Salsa Horsethief for me.

PressFit 92mm Bottom Bracket Shell

WTF.

I thought the Horsethief 14' would be the perfect bike, but I refuse to pay money to have a squeaky, hard to maintain bike.

mtbr member
    My thoughts exactly. No threaded BB, no deal for me. I was set on this aswell and had decided early to mid next year would be the time, but will not touch a bike with that BB.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm not sure which is worse, the BB or the Trek/GF front end.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You don't have to maintain it, just change it to a new one when it starts squeaking

But yeah, I haven't been happy with the Shimano BB92s either, very short lifespan. Threaded is better..

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Guess No Salsa Horsethief for me.

The Trek fork offset really limits the options for self builds. I'm really hoping the X-Fusion Trace is the answer.

That ridiculous, ugly, vestigial, welded FD mount is just so Salsa - lack of detail, rush to meet model year rollout. And you know it'll be removable next year.

I'm also concerned how (on the Spearfish) the pivots are on little welded tabs - controlling alignment must be difficult, and this puts a high reliance on weld quality.

Based on experience with PF30 - there is a significant lack of bearing sealage in the market. It's not right to spend over $200 on a CK BB and tools, to get a decent product. So, I don't blame the standard or the frame makers, but the bearing companies for lack of seals with press-fit bearings. For example - the dust cover on my ceramic Enduro bearings has a 0.5mm gap all around.

But, somehow, the Spearfish is still a leading candidate for my next bike.
    M

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I feel the same way about the Press Fit BB's but it seems we are stuck with them as more Mfg's adopt the VERY easy to produce BB. The extra width that a Press Fit BB offers to frame producers is rarely fully utilized but that seems to be the sales pitch for using them. I have had pretty good success with the Parlee PF30 BB for 24mm axle cranksets on my SP1. I plan on getting a 2014 Horsethief so my hope is I can come up with a BB that works as well as the Parlee. It would be great to just thread in a Chris King BB and be done with it but.......

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    With the Salsa at 3300 now for the "2" builds, the Santa Cruz bikes are a true cross-shopping competitor. Good frames and shocks/forks, threaded bb, Shimano brakes, hmm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Good point about the Santa Cruz bikes. Probably try the Horsethief, I have never been a big fan of the way VPP pedals. But Salsa had better keep an eye on the competitors as the pricing increases.