ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Gen 1 fargo just not sure

Just not sure if i want my fargo anymore??

I had a specialized tricross (that got sold) before I got my Fargo it did everything I wanted it to do road riding, I would take it on single track, could do fenders and a rack it worked good. But then came the Fargo disk brakes, steel frame, bigger tire clearance a cross bike on steroids looked like the perfect bike. Bought the frame built it up rode it on everything single track, road, rail trails commuted, and pulled my daughter in the burley it worked good for everything... But never liked the bar end shifters i chose for off road, the non replaceable derailleur hanger that got bent 2nd time i was in the woods, road riding it was comfortable but just seemed slow compared to my cross bike. I know they are two totally different bikes but I keep thinking I liked my cyclocross better than my Fargo. And there is so much love from everyone for the fargo maybe i never quite got it set up right or maybe i just wanted a new bike but i just picked up a Raleigh Furley. The Furley can be a single speed witch to me is a plus or i had it as a 1x9 it takes fenders and a rack so it will do most thing the Fargo and seems a bit quicker on the road.

What i want in this bike is road friendly this is the bike for trailer duty's, century rides occasionally, so I want t to ride nice on the road but it also must be able to take gravel and a little single track here and there. I have a ss 29er and a fat bike also.

The fargo was a good bike but the Furley seems nice to I keep going back in forth now maybe I should have just did better shifters on my fargo and a wheel set i might have liked it more. But then with a cross bike I can try racing in fall so the furly will be better or the fargo would be better. just dont know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I had a Gen1 fargo, wholly unsuited to racing cross, with narrow tyres the BB was too low and i constantly clipped pedals on roots etc.

I think if your after a replacement for a cross bike, fargo is not it. The Fargo is a great all round bike, but it dosnt sound like what you want is an all rounder. Maybe a vaya would have been better.
    I own a Surly, a Surly, a Surly and a Salsa. Probably some others in there too at the bottom of the pile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I you liked the tri cross and it did everything you wanted why not pick another up?

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ya maybe a vaya would have been a better choice. The fargo is a great bike but I just don't use it for whats its for. Would anyone be interested in trading a fargo for a vaya?