ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Fun bike in MN: SFish, HThief, ElMar?

Yep--considering all three of these.

ElMar is awesome for the money. Best spec possible for a fair price. HT though.

SF is excellent but getting up there cost-wise.

HT I have not ridden the new one,but people are saying its a great all-around fun bike. If I'm going FS, maybe this s the one?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Check out this thread as it deals with ElMar vs. Spearfish: El Mar or Spearfish?

As I said in the other thread, I would highly suggest the Spearfish unless you are looking at a ton of downhill where you will ride. I am in Missouri and have been thrilled with my 2012 Spearfish 2.

I have had the opportunity to ride the Horsethief on the exact same trails and prefer the SF. To me (a smallish guy at 5' 10" 160 lbs) I don't need the extra length of suspension or the extra couple of pounds that it adds. I still hit downhill sections hard and have never bottomed out on my SF suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    2014 SF but then I haven't been on the Horsethief I'm hoping that Salsa makes up to Duluth for a day of demo riding. I have had four Salsas the Big Mama, El Mar, Mamasita I have now and my SF1 2012 I cant ride HT bikes anymore so I'm going to part out my sita and sell my fish to fund the new SF1, I'm liking the shorter CS and the Fox fork & rear shock.

I would have to say that the El Mar was the best HT bike I have ever had it was 2 lbs more than the sita but I could not till when I was riding it mine was the 2011 I thought it was going to be flaxy but it wasn't at all. I would have keep it but my sita frame is scratched up and I sold the El Mar to build the Spearfish.

I also have been looking at the Horsethief and I might go with that bike, I do a few 24 hour solo races but I'm 53.5 years old and I have a very bad back so the doctor has told me to slow down and stay off the hard tail bikes. The newer Htheif & spearfish are going to be faster in the turns and you will be able to get the front wheel up easier when going over things like roots and rocks and both of them will be better all round bikes for mtb riding and racing.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks--I think I have decided to go the full-sus route too. I've ridden the 14 SF. Liked it a lot. Would like to try the HT as trail bikes are becoming all-around bikes, and the trail building in MN has really taken it to a point where FS is a fun idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah I need to get down to Duluth and hit the trails there but I have been working too much. The Spearfish 1 is at the top of my list it even has the wheels that I want and if I got any other bike the wheels on the SF1 I would end-up having to go out and buy and I like Sram shifting, all I would have to change is the saddle that's it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The 2013 SFs are going cheap online!