mtbr member

Forgo Freaks - Thuddy or No Thuddy???

Me again,

To Thud or not to Thud? That is the question. I also noticed that there seems to be two types of Thudbuster. One with the mechanism completely filled in with rubber and another with two opposing knobs. That could be an old and new model I guess.

There may even be a load of other similar products.

Those in the know, please share your experience and let this thread reveal the pro's, cons and alternatives to the Thudbuster.

I'm all ears.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've had both, and have settled on non-thuddy.....I think. While I like the shock absorbing of the thud buster, I don't like the way that it feels on the bike. Kind of like I've got a permanent flat rear tyre. I've got a short travel thud buster.

Mind you, I don't like the way that my back hurts after bumpy single track with a rigid post either.

All that being said, I ride my fargo, mostly on gravel, roads and light single track so I've got a rigid post....YMMV

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have the Thudbuster ST (short travel), which is what they come stock with. Thought I'd hate it, but ended up loving it and put one on my El Mar and my Vaya. Fargo and Vaya have stiffer elastomers, where I went soft on the El Mar.

Made me decide I no longer need to bother with the drawbacks of FS bikes - the TB smooths out the ride enough for my needs and riding style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yup, the Short Travel is the Thudbuster which is "filled in," and it comes stock on the Fargo 2. I've got one on mine, and I haven't had any problems. I like it; I think my butt and back like it as well.

The one which you refer to as having "two opposing knobs" of rubber is the Long Travel. As the name implies, it's got more squishing distance. I've never ridden one of those, but I imagine it would be too squishy for me. So, if you go for one, I would recommend the short travel, the one that is filled in with one big block of rubber.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm tempted to try one of the short travel TBs on my El-Mar. My 26er Flux has gone into semi-retirement as I'm finding the El-Mar brilliant for pretty much everything I do. I've got the bent (layback) Thomson post on mine with an SDG Bel Air and I've no complaints. If I'm carring some serious speed and hit a rough patch of trail, the rear end can 'buck' a little, but if I'm descending then I'd already be out of the saddle anyway. I'm pretty happy with the Thomson at the moment but it would be interesting to try a TB.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I thought they were silly looking and "in-elegant" until I tried the one that came on my wife's bike.
    I'm definitely getting one next season. I'm thinking the extra weight on my generation 1 Fargo will be offset when I get the fargo ti frame.

mtbr member
    Non-thuddy. Build up my Gen1 from parts. Didn't really see the need then, and still don't.

I'll admit though that I've never tried one, so I may not know what I'm missing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had a short travel ThudBuster on my gen 1 Fargo and didn't like it. Moved it over to my Mukluk and it's great. Seems to be a individual preference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I started off with a Easton E90 seat post, and switched to a Thudbuster ST last week. Before I had it, it felt like a jackhammer to the lower back. Riding my fargo now is a lot smoother.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the replies. They are appreciated. My budget dictates I use a seat post I've already got for now, but I think it is something I will prioritise more highly now. Hopefully this will be of use to more people in the future aswell.

Cheers.