mtbr member

Flip-Lock or Lip-Lock Seatpost Clamp?

I literally have no preference at all between the two, but am getting one of the two. Pros of the Lip-Lock being security vs. the ability for a thief to easily jack my seatpost if it was a QR clamp. Pros of the Flip-Lock being ease of adjustment without tools. I would lower my seat more often for downhill sections if it was a QR clamp. Also makes it easy to adjust the seat when family or the gf wants to play around on the bike in the yard. The reviews I've read tell me that the Flip-Lock begins to fail in wet/muddy conditions. I definitely don't like the sound of that.

What are your opinions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My progression.

I had a weight weenie seat collar that worked great on a rigid seat post. I switched to a gravity dropper and it would slip a lot. So I switched to a flip lock style (not Salsa) and I still used an allen key to tighten that bad boy down. If it were me, I'd go Lip-lock.

(Yes, I run a gravity dropper on my XC race hard tail. I once laughed at people like me. )

rth009
    May 2010
    Ive used both. Fliplocks on Big Mama with 31.6 aluminum post and El Mar Ti with 27.2 carbon posts and have never had either slip. If you want to be able to adjust it or take your post off to fit it for transport, dont sweat it and get the FlipLock.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    I've stayed away from QR clamps, after I broke 1 or 2 and had slipping problems. The Lip-lock style generally use a larger diameter bolt, therefore get more clamping force and less likely to break.